Next Villa Manager

Richard

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Just to let everybody know, I have absolutely no idea who we should appoint.

Half the names being suggested I've never even heard of. I'm just going to sit at the back and listen.

I'll join you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Can't see anything other than Steve Bruce being appointed. He is the pragmatic and rationale choice. Just narrowly missed out on the England job and knows better than anyone how to get teams promoted from this league. If people aren't happy with his appointment then it can't be based on his record - of those managers who are 'realistically' available to us he has the best track record. 

Saying that .... there is a tiny bit of me that wants to throw all logic and rationale out the window and let Tim have another pop at it. Remember the buzz around the place for his first 10 games? Part of me thinks his gung-ho approach and general distaste/aversion to tactics in general might actually work in the end-to-end business of the Championship. I know I'm going to be savaged for this bizarre cult like belief, but its true, I bloody loved seeing his passion on the sidelines and it was the first and last time I've believed in a Villa sides passion since O'Neill. 

You described that idea perfectly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, perchman said:

Maybe you're right but I do feel the inability of Paddy to let him buy any players, the fact that we had some spiteful rocket polishers in the squad and Lerner was getting romantically nourished elsewhere might've been mitigating factors

Or he wasn't a very robust character and was easily pushed around. 

4 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

I get the feeling a lot of people calling for Gary Rowett haven't watched Blues play. They are effective in terms of results but sit very deep, even in home games, and look to counter-attack. 

Genuine question, did he play that way at Burton? I just wonder whether he is naturally defensive or is he just adopting a cautious style to get the best out of a pretty poor set of players at SHA?

Just now, hippo said:

Or he wasn't a very robust character and was easily pushed around. 

That could also be a fair assessment.

Yours Sincerely

Mr Clutching At Straws

Berkshire.

Just now, TB said:

You described that idea perfectly.

I'd love Tim back. F8ck it, why not? Lets face it, we're in the championship and at the moment it looks more likely us going down then going back up. Instead of always having huge pressure on us to win a game, we sit back and watch some entertaining football and actually enjoy it for once!

Just now, av1 said:

Genuine question, did he play that way at Burton? I just wonder whether he is naturally defensive or is he just adopting a cautious style to get the best out of a pretty poor set of players at SHA?

he did not play that way at Burton and I saw a few of their games

21 minutes ago, perchman said:

I can't help feeling that Garde happened at the wrong time, certain individuals in the dressing room and their insolence, Paddy Reilly and his influence on Lerner and how stitched Garde was in the transfer market.

I'd wouldn't be adverse to giving him another go * 

I don't think we should go back to any of the managers that have been sacked/left the club over recent years be it O'Neill, Lambert, Sherwood or Garde.

I can get the arguments that under Xia things could be very different and that Lerner was the issue (not with O'Neill). However if we had even half a dozen poor results the past would soon again be fresh in supporters minds and almost certainly in that of the manager.

We need to leave the ghosts of our past woes behind and move on and start afresh. That was the aim over the summer and despite Di Matteo not being right that has to be the aim now. Going back to a manager associated with a dire time for the club doesn't aid that fresh start regardless of if you think they were dealt a poor hand.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Just now, Richard said:

he did not play that way at Burton and I saw a few of their games

In which case it shows an ability to deal with different situations and adjust his style to suit. 

I see that as a big positive. 

I've searched, and seen it mentioned a few times in here, (and even less on twitter, which goes to show how much good voices get drowned out on that platform) but I would like to see us consider Murat Yakin.

I really enjoyed watching Basel when he was in charge in the Champions League. Tactically competent and from all accounts a builder of a good team with a good character about them. I personally don't think it's vital to have someone with experience of this league either. What experience did David Wagner have before joining Huddersfield and now he is one of the most sought after managers?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, perchman said:

Giggs odds have shortened......

My initial thoughts on this is god no. We've experimented with managers who have potential for too long. Can't help but feel we need a bit of a Bruce type manager to lay some foundations down.