Next Villa Manager

Richard

When a new manager comes in it will say a lot of the direction Round wants to take the club in. We need to get a system and style in force so that should the manager goes a new one is a> already lined up and b> will play a system that suits the signings we have 

I keep seeing that we shouldnt change the manager, we need stability......

What do those posters believe we will get from keeping RDM?

Mid table stability - possibly but needs improvement.

Challenge for play-offs - needs improvement and starting now.

Promotion challenge - Hard see us gaining the results this season to achieve that.

or are we looking at him doing something next season?..... I would struggle to see what he could do next season as we would almost certainly not have the same level of backing from the owner.

I just cannot see what his plan is at all. Doesnt appear to have a plan B, still hasnt got close to a settled starting 11 in a set formation and hasnt manage to stop us conceding late on in games. I dont think if he was here for the rest of the season we would see the improvement in the above either.

• Like 2

Personally RDM has a little longer for me too. I know we're in dire straits but he's only lost 2 league games and there have been a few positives in the games we've drawn beyond the results. I haven't lost hope so he's got a while longer. A few losses in a row from this point could sway me the opposite direction, as could continuing for another month as we are!  

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If you take the majority view................

Houllier worse than MON.

Lambert worse than Houllier.

Sherwood worse than Lambert.

Garde worse than Sherwood.

Black worse than Garde.

RDM worse than Black.

So, Yes, it could get worse.

I personally don't think Lambert was half as bad as some people made him out to be.

This all became clear as soon as he was gone

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dnmacf said:

Personally RDM has a little longer for me too. I know we're in dire straits but he's only lost 2 league games and there have been a few positives in the games we've drawn beyond the results. I haven't lost hope so he's got a while longer. A few losses in a row from this point could sway me the opposite direction, as could continuing for another month as we are!  

If we don't get 4 wins in a row from the next 4 games we don't have a chance IMO

And I think anything other than a win on saturday and it'll force Tony's hand.

2 minutes ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

If we don't get 4 wins in a row from the next 4 games we don't have a chance IMO

And I think anything other than a win on saturday and it'll force Tony's hand.

Don't have a chance of what? Promotion? The next 4 games definitely won't decide the top 6 come April. Weren't Chelsea still around us at this point last season and ended up finishing 10th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcowans21 said:

Geting sick of this argument. This is the Championship for gods sake, we have virtually a new team, so all this 'hangover from last season and low on confidence from last year' is rubbish. Before we kicked off this season, and all the money we had spent, would you really have been happy if someone had predicted all these draws?

Like someone said the other day, Di Matteo sets us up as if we have just been promoted from League One. We should be going for the kill in these games, not sitting back. Matteo has known for a few weeks that sitting back after we have scored doesnt work, but he repeatedly does it every week. I dont see that as progress.

The use of "happy" is bonkers - no, of course people aren't happy with 1 win this season.  I don't see the relevance that the league has on it; we'd be unhappy with 1 win in the Premier League, we'd be unhappy with 1 win in League One and we're unhappy with 1 win in the Championship.  The discussion is about whether or not our current manager should get more time in the seat to turn things round.

Some people think yes, some people think no.

(By the way, our signings have been "proven Championship players" - guess which league they're playing in?)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dubliner said:

I personally don't think Lambert was half as bad as some people made him out to be.

This all became clear as soon as he was gone

He wasn't up until the end of his reign.  Sometimes the weight of expectation and not performing well gets to the manager/the team.  He was rightfully sacked at the time, but I agree that the job he did was "not the worst".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The use of "happy" is bonkers - no, of course people aren't happy with 1 win this season.  I don't see the relevance that the league has on it; we'd be unhappy with 1 win in the Premier League, we'd be unhappy with 1 win in League One and we're unhappy with 1 win in the Championship.  The discussion is about whether or not our current manager should get more time in the seat to turn things round.

Some people think yes, some people think no.

(By the way, our signings have been "proven Championship players" - guess which league they're playing in?)

My response was to Tommo's post. Is that ok with you? when was you made a MOD?

You come across as very patronising sometimes.

Edited by sidcowans21

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We're 10 points behind the automatic places and 7 behind the playoff places. With 36 games to go (pretty much a full PL season), that is nowhere near insurmountable. It's not like we're losing every game either. Ironically only Blues have lost less than us. Turning draws into wins is much easier than turning losses into wins, so we don't have too far to go. I'd hold onto RDM for a little while yet to see if he can do just that.

I guess the problem is it just doesn't seem like RDM is learning from his mistakes.

• Like 3

Just now, sidcowans21 said:

My response was to Tommo's post. Is that ok with you? when was you made a MOD?

You come across as very patronising sometimes.

What have I moderated there?  You asked if he should be "happy" - of course not.  Equally, if someone had said before the season started that we would have only lost 2 of our first 10 games, I'd have seen that as a good thing.  The caveat is the lack of wins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I guess the problem is it just doesn't seem like RDM is learning from his mistakes.

Totally agree.

We score, then sit back against Brentford, they equalise.

We sat back against Ipswich and they battered us the last 10 minutes.

We score against Barnsley, we then sit back and the inevitable happens.

We should be killing these games off and go for another goal.

• Like 1

As has been mentioned before, it's not simply a case of changing the Manager.

If the Manager goes then it's highly likely that most of the backroom staff will follow which is a lot of upheaval and a lot of potential compensation to be paid out.

I can't help but question if it's RDM's fault that we keep conceding late goals, for me the answer is no, the players, Gollini in particular (though I like the look of him he has cost us 7 points now at least) seem to self destruct. The club needs to rediscover how to win games, once they start winning they'll be less jittery in the final stages of matches, it's a vicious circle that we can't seem to break out of at the moment.

Honestly and for what it's worth (which is essentially nothing) I don't actually think another Manager would have achieved significantly better results because irrespective of tactics and training etc we still wouldn't have known how to win games, 

We need some Steve Collins (pre Eubank) style hypnotherapy sessions I think.

4 minutes ago, sidcowans21 said:

Totally agree.

We score, then sit back against Brentford, they equalise.

We sat back against Ipswich and they battered us the last 10 minutes.

We score against Barnsley, we then sit back and the inevitable happens.

We should be killing these games off and go for another goal.

It's a funny old game - against Forest, we kept going for goals but should have sat back and kept it tight (not saying this is something you've said) but in other games we should have kept going for more goals.  There's certainly some middle ground that we're not meeting, although really shouldn't have slipped up against Barnsley or Brentford in terms of the way we conceded.

There's also an element of the opposition switching things up, of course.  I didn't see the Barnsley game or much of the Brentford game (they sounded good as well as us bad?) but, against Ipswich, they played basically 8-1-1 until the 86th minute and then brought on 2 strikers and went for broke.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I can't help but question if it's RDM's fault that we keep conceding late goals, for me the answer is no, the players, Gollini in particular (though I like the look of him he has cost us 7 points now at least) seem to self destruct. The club needs to rediscover how to win games, once they start winning they'll be less jittery in the final stages of matches, it's a vicious circle that we can't seem to break out of at the moment.

If we were 2 goals clear with 5 minutes to go we would be safer, he doesnt seem to drive the players on for the goal that would kill the game.

He plays 2 in midfield who struggle later in the game so we fall deeper and deeper and the conceed.

Just two reasons I hold the manager at fault.

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If we were 2 goals clear with 5 minutes to go we would be safer, he doesnt seem to drive the players on for the goal that would kill the game.

He plays 2 in midfield who struggle later in the game so we fall deeper and deeper and the conceed.

Just two reasons I hold the manager at fault.

If you've been attending matches then I won't argue with you because I haven't actually been to a single match yet this season, as such I can only really comment on the games that have been broadcast and the occasional games where we've had radio commentary but I don't get the feeling or perception that we are purposely sitting back and trying to win 1-0, that's my honest opinion. We would be 7 points better off at least if not for goalkeeping errors alone, just think about that for a second when chastising RDM's work.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

See sidcowans' post above yours. He also seems very tactically naive and that was on show for all to see against Newcastle for example.

He got the first half wrong, for sure, he then corrected that and got the second half right, if anything I'd have held that up as an example of how he does have tactical awareness but hey ho, all comes down to glass half empty/glass half full as it often does around here....

• Like 2