Next Villa Manager

Richard

8 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

What, exactly, has guidolin done in the game to be considered a "good possible option" for us? Because before the poor job he has done at Swansea, I'd never heard of him.

Without using Google.

My impression of him was hugely positive when he was appointed and that was validated when he was able to guide Swansea to safety taking over at a time when they were in freefall and in danger of relegation in a season where competition for survival was fierce. Swansea looked solid last season with Guidolin at the helm and that's why I consider him better than a "good possible option".

19 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I guess the problem is it just doesn't seem like RDM is learning from his mistakes.

In a nutshell that is the biggest issue for me, other than results. 

23 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If we were 2 goals clear with 5 minutes to go we would be safer, he doesnt seem to drive the players on for the goal that would kill the game.

I agree. The question I have is can RDM let go of this overly defensive sitting game he has adopted, which doesn't seem to suit us. We need to go back to playing a more attacking pressing game that exploits the talent we have (e.g. Rotherham, Forest). We should be scoring more goals with players like Ayew, Kodjia, McCormack, Gestede, Adomah and Grealish. We get on top for periods every game, but it often comes too late or we go all defensive when we score.  We have to keep pressing and attacking and trying to kill teams off.  Have a solid back four and a few holding players, but our overarching mindset should be to press higher and keep trying to score. That mindset would stop us trying to hold on to these slender leads and capitulating. It sounds arrogant, but go out there with the intention of scoring 3 or 4 goals and don't be satisfied until you have done it.  We all know one goal is never enough for us so don't settle, keep attacking until there is no way back for them. If play teams that way I am convinced we will win far more than we lose, even if we concede a few more.

11 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

My impression of him was hugely positive when he was appointed and that was validated when he was able to guide Swansea to safety taking over at a time when they were in freefall and in danger of relegation in a season where competition for survival was fierce. Swansea looked solid last season with Guidolin at the helm and that's why I consider him better than a "good possible option".

So, how about 4 defeats in 5 and on the verge of the sack once the new manager bounce wears off? With Liverpool to come at the weekend. I've agreed with a number of things recently, but can't get my head round this one.

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

So, how about 4 defeats in 5 and on the verge of the sack once the new manager bounce wears off? With Liverpool to come at the weekend. I've agreed with a number of things recently, but can't get my head round this one.

4 defeats in 5 but 3 of those were against Leicester, Man City and Southampton away. They also drew with Chelsea and won their first match away at Burnley.

Sacking him would be the wrong decision for Swansea. They won't get relegated under him and I doubt anybody they replace him with would do any better.

6 hours ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

If we don't get 4 wins in a row from the next 4 games we don't have a chance IMO

And I think anything other than a win on saturday and it'll force Tony's hand.

Wrong, could lose next 7 games and still get promoted, this league is tight right to the end. 

• Like 1

If Gollini didnt make a few mistakes that he did that cost us goals, would people still be shouting for RDMs head?

(just for the record, I am not casting blame on Gollini!)

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

Not one manager in this thread is better than RDM, therefore sacking him would be silly. Why does Rowett keep getting mentioned? LOL! We'd just be sacking for sacking sake, unless someone of really pedigree came available, then it would be a totally pointless and detrimental exercise.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Not one manager in this thread is better than RDM, therefore sacking him would be silly. Why does Rowett keep getting mentioned? LOL! We'd just be sacking for sacking sake, unless someone of really pedigree came available, then it would be a totally pointless and detrimental exercise.

100% true and give it a few games with a different manager the same things will be said. 

27 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Not one manager in this thread is better than RDM, therefore sacking him would be silly. 

I am not going to go through the merits of every manager mentioned in the thread as it isn't for the fans to find the next manager whenever that may be.

If Di Matteo gets sacked after we have played Preston though it will almost certainly mean we will have won one game in 12 and could potentially be sitting in the bottom 3. If those at the club couldn't identify and attract a manager that can do better than that then god help us as we are in deep do do.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

This is where i would disagree with you, my friend

7 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Always knew there was something dodgy about the teams Black was putting out last season. Didn't even try to score

My dad has gone full conspiracy since Leicester won the league. Reckons it was all set up. With the recent revelations coming out who knows.

And us finally going down? Discussion for another thread anyway.