Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

If you moved to the UK and we called Aussie rules 'vest slappy ball' would you  mind?

I'd feel the need to wear a condom if I ever got to play Aussie rules, bit too close to angry man love if you ask me.

I digress, welcome Miles you big bearded shrimp barbecuer you! 

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Probably because the word is supposed to be football - but the the yanks turned it into soccer, because they have their own favourite version of football (WHERE THEY USE THEIR HANDS) and come to think of it you guys have Aussie rules football (WHERE YOU USE YOUR HANDS).

But  thats not true  it is not an Americanisim, Was there not Star Soccer in the 1970s on ATV, i also have a 1950s book called Charles Buchans Soccer annual and growing up as a kid in Shard End we always referred to it as a game of soccer.Think to many people get a little bit precious over a common term for association football thats been around for 100 years or more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baldivisvilla said:

But  thats not true  it is not an Americanisim, Was there not Star Soccer in the 1970s on ATV, i also have a 1950s book called Charles Buchans Soccer annual and growing up as a kid in Shard End we always referred to it as a game of soccer.Think to many people get a little bit precious over a common term for association football thats been around for 100 years or more.

Oh poo - you are right - I apologise! (But I stand by the fact that only one of these sports uses the foot the majority of the time)

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/mystery-solved-don-t-blame-usa-real-reason-123344142.html

The word "soccer" is actually British. It derives from the game's proper name, association football, with the "soc" bit taken from the word "association" .

The reason it came into popular usage was simple: in the 19th century, football and rugby were both commonly known as football, the former dubbed "association football" and the latter "rugby football". But both phrases are a bit of a mouthful, however, so they were popularly shortened to "soccer" and "rugger" to keep things simple.

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Probably because the word is supposed to be football - but the the yanks turned it into soccer, because they have their own favourite version of football (WHERE THEY USE THEIR HANDS) and come to think of it you guys have Aussie rules football (WHERE YOU USE YOUR HANDS).

Except in Aussie Rules you can only score goals with your feet. In Football, you can score with bloody anything!

2 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Except in Aussie Rules you can only score goals with your feet. In Football, you can score with bloody anything!

Do you mean football or soccer? Or rugger?

Edited by Jareth

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Oh poo - you are right - I apologise! (But I stand by the fact that only one of these sports uses the foot the majority of the time)

I think you'll find Huddersfield use their faces mainly.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We invented Australia so we allowed. 

50 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Sorry for quoting Trent. Seems once I start a quote and decide not to I can't delete the quotation in the reply.

Anyway, one of Mile's National teammates tweeted this:

Welcome to the club Mile, I think he will be a great signing and will hopefully add steel, fight and nous to our midfield and end the days of us rolling over to have our tummies tickled for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Â