Nintendo Switch

Chindie

Not reading any reviews in full as I want to go in as blind as possible but these words from the top of the Guardian’s make it sound fairly promising:

”Occasionally a game comes along that makes you look at life in a whole new way.”

Blimey. 

To be fair, reviews for Skyward Sword were similarly gushing and hyperbolic back in the day (uhh 12 years ago apparently). And now the consensus has cooled off significantly since then. Seems to be considered a mid-tier Zelda game these days. I'm also going in blind, and I can't wait to play it. Need to properly finish BotW first.

48 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, reviews for Skyward Sword were similarly gushing and hyperbolic back in the day (uhh 12 years ago apparently). And now the consensus has cooled off significantly since then. Seems to be considered a mid-tier Zelda game these days. I'm also going in blind, and I can't wait to play it. Need to properly finish BotW first.

I remember someone on here being really angry that the reviews for BOTW were so good because there was no way the game was that good. 

Turns out it really was that good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I remember someone on here being really angry that the reviews for BOTW were so good because there was no way the game was that good. 

Yeah it’s fricking amazing, and this new one sounds like a step or two up. I’m honestly so excited. A 41 year old man (with plenty more going on in my life) has booked a day off to play a game ffs 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Its overrated :ph34r:

I'm maybe about half way through, will pick up the new one in about 5 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

That's the cycle of Zelda. 

Reviewers and gamers alike chat hyperbolic bollocks about how the latest Zelda is the best game ever made, and then by the time the next Zelda is out they've cooled on the previous one enough to mostly realise it wasn't actually the best game ever made. 

Was BotW decent? Yes. Was it great? Some may say it was (not me). Was it the best Zelda game ever made? Not even close.

I am happy for those that liked BotW and for those about to embark on the next 60-100 hours of TotK, but I can't wait for Nintendo to move on to something else. I really hope the next Zelda is something slightly more traditional and less of an open-world physics sandbox.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Might pick them both up tomorrow cuz there's nothing else coming out on any platform I own that's really grabbing me.

Just watched a snippet of a review and it does look rather excellent 👍

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Reviewers and gamers alike chat hyperbolic bollocks about how the latest Zelda is the best game ever made, and then by the time the next Zelda is out they've cooled on the previous one enough to mostly realise it wasn't actually the best game ever made. 

Was BotW decent? Yes. Was it great? Some may say it was (not me). Was it the best Zelda game ever made? Not even close.

I am happy for those that liked BotW and for those about to embark on the next 60-100 hours of TotK, but I can't wait for Nintendo to move on to something else. I really hope the next Zelda is something slightly more traditional and less of an open-world physics sandbox.

I have to say it was the first time I never saw a Zelda game out to completion. Part of it was life circumstances, part of it was also that it was so much bigger than any of them but also it just didn't grip me as much. I'm going to replay BotW with a fresh perspective and see, but I suspect I'm just not as big on the open world aspect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I have to say it was the first time I never saw a Zelda game out to completion. Part of it was life circumstances, part of it was also that it was so much bigger than any of them but also it just didn't grip me as much. I'm going to replay BotW with a fresh perspective and see, but I suspect I'm just not as big on the open world aspect.

I find it a strange in that the world grips me, I think its genuinely one of the best worlds / maps ever created but then the story is nothing, the combat and enemies are dreadful and I'm not always sold of the shrines, the 2 divine beasts I've done are definitley a step too far on the **** about scale

You put this map + horizons enemies and combat + GoW writing together and you'd have the best game ever made

As it is I actually prefer horizon and GoW over BotW

About to take on Gannon. No Master Sword, 7 (extra) hearts, and two extra stamina sections. Started the game again last weekend with the aim to do this battle no matter where I was. 😂

Edited by Dodgyknees

11 hours ago, Daweii said:

Was it you? :D 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its overrated :ph34r:

Not for me. Best game of all time. I held OoT as the best game ever for 25 years. BOTW finally knocked it off the top spot

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not for me. Best game of all time. I held OoT as the best game ever for 25 years. BOTW finally knocked it off the top spot

I hadn’t played Oot till after BOTW, cos I’m dumb and never played Zelda. Oot is great, but I went to it after BOTW - so of course it felt limited. But it’s also a classic and I took it as one of the best games of all time.

Botw? Best game I’ve ever played. It opened my eyes to a new series and I’ve fallen in love with it. I’m even getting a Zelda themed tattoo 😂

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It was Doctor Pangloss iirc.

• Thanks 1

Â