Nintendo Switch

Chindie

39 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I hadn’t played Oot till after BOTW, cos I’m dumb and never played Zelda. Oot is great, but I went to it after BOTW - so of course it felt limited. But it’s also a classic and I took it as one of the best games of all time.

Botw? Best game I’ve ever played. It opened my eyes to a new series and I’ve fallen in love with it. I’m even getting a Zelda themed tattoo 😂

i missed a load out because i always prefer 2D nintendo stuff, only just getting in to playing 3D mario and metroid prime is a step too far

@dubbs the price has never dropped on BotW so its not like you can pick it up cheap, as much as i think its not the best game ever made i would still recommend playing it, based on a few things i've seen play it first too as the scale of BotW is incredible and the new one is meant to be better in that regard

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, dubbs said:

So it's worth getting Botw before the new one otherwise it might feel a little limited in comparison?

I've no idea if you need to play BOTW to "get" TOTK, but given the quality of BOTW I don't think you'll regret it if you get that first.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Daweii said:

That's the cycle of Zelda. 

Reviewers and gamers alike chat hyperbolic bollocks about how the latest Zelda is the best game ever made, and then by the time the next Zelda is out they've cooled on the previous one enough to mostly realise it wasn't actually the best game ever made. 

Was BotW decent? Yes. Was it great? Some may say it was (not me). Was it the best Zelda game ever made? Not even close.

I am happy for those that liked BotW and for those about to embark on the next 60-100 hours of TotK, but I can't wait for Nintendo to move on to something else. I really hope the next Zelda is something slightly more traditional and less of an open-world physics sandbox.

I loved BOTW when it came out, and love it now. It's easily the best Zelda game of all time, and it's right up there for best game ever, on any platform. It's truly brilliant, a masterpiece that I never wanted to end. Ocarina of Time and Windwaker are similarly brilliant games, that still stand the test of time, although neither are as good as BOTW.  The dungeons were really good in Skyward sword, but the rest of the world was very limited, and the flying just fell pointless and boring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've no idea if you need to play BOTW to "get" TOTK, but given the quality of BOTW I don't think you'll regret it if you get that first.

No, quite. No point jumping in with the new game first. Play BOTW, enjoy it, then move on to the next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BOTW is fantastic, an incredible open world with brilliant mechanics and great gameplay. It's lacking the classic Zelda dungeons format which makes it feel like it's missing something for me. Chuck in a solid set of good Zelda dungeons and it's knocking on the door of peerless best game ever territory. But it just misses.

Still incredible. But with scope to be jaw droppingly astounding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

BOTW is fantastic, an incredible open world with brilliant mechanics and great gameplay. It's lacking the classic Zelda dungeons format which makes it feel like it's missing something for me. Chuck in a solid set of good Zelda dungeons and it's knocking on the door of peerless best game ever territory. But it just misses.

I guess for me, and I keep repeating this so I’m sorry (🤣) but I had never played a Z game before, so I didn’t miss the dungeons. But having played games since I can see why they are pivotal to how those work… so I’m kinda excited by the “dungeons” in TOTK.

For anyone looking to buy BotW and TotK, Nintendo Online members can buy a game voucher for £84 which is valid for any two games from a decent list. Both Zeldas are available on it so saves a fair bit of cash. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JB said:

For anyone looking to buy BotW and TotK, Nintendo Online members can buy a game voucher for £84 which is valid for any two games from a decent list. Both Zeldas are available on it so saves a fair bit of cash. 

Is that right? Looking at the list the two games are around the 100 pound total, so are you saying I can get both for £84?

Just checked, yes that's absolutely right. Nice one @JB

Edited by dubbs
Additional information

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I really liked the different approach with the temples and only the 4 real dungeons, but I can see why others would prefer the more traditional style. My biggest gripe was the climbing, specifically in the rain. Every other in game mechanic seemed to have a way of mitigating the negative effect, eg having a lightning conductor helmet for when it was stormy. When it rained though, it just meant that you couldn't climb until it stopped raining, which often meant you just had to wait for a minute or two without anything to do. It just seemed a bit needless. They could at least have had an outfit that let you climb in the rain.

• Like 1

If anybody hasn't played BOTW, I'll see if me or my son still has the physical copy knocking around. Happy to post it on to anybody rather than have them spend £50, I've had my money's worth out of it. (assuming it isn't 'locked' to a handset or anything like that?)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Risso said:

If anybody hasn't played BOTW, I'll see if me or my son still has the physical copy knocking around. Happy to post it on to anybody rather than have them spend £50, I've had my money's worth out of it. (assuming it isn't 'locked' to a handset or anything like that?)

You’re a legend. 👍

42 minutes ago, Risso said:

Wish I'd seen this 5 mins earlier 🤣. Nice gesture though @Risso

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Is that right? Looking at the list the two games are around the 100 pound total, so are you saying I can get both for £84?

Yep, definitely. Saw it myself last night. Just requires an Online membership. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Risso said:

I really liked the different approach with the temples and only the 4 real dungeons, but I can see why others would prefer the more traditional style. My biggest gripe was the climbing, specifically in the rain. Every other in game mechanic seemed to have a way of mitigating the negative effect, eg having a lightning conductor helmet for when it was stormy. When it rained though, it just meant that you couldn't climb until it stopped raining, which often meant you just had to wait for a minute or two without anything to do. It just seemed a bit needless. They could at least have had an outfit that let you climb in the rain.

Edit: Putting this in spoilers for those who haven't played BotW yet.

Spoiler

I wouldn't mind the format of BotW's "dungeons" if they were actually good and engaging. The 4 main ones are just boring with some obtuse rotating gimmick in many (all? I can't remember) of them. And then the individual shrines scattered everywhere seem like an awesome idea until you realize that many are pretty similar and uninteresting. Some are even just "fight X enemy" and that's it. 

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That's the issue with the dungeons in BOTW. There's not many of them, they're quite samey and they're all rubbish.

And you don't actually need to do them.

Â