Nintendo Switch

Chindie

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

That new Mario platformer is nightmare fuel. Mario made on bad acid.

That game looks absolutely brilliant. I cant wait.

Have to say this was one of thw best directs ive seen 

Some exciting games coming out on this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got Metroid Prime Remastered.

What a game. I absolutely loved this back in the day and it holds up brilliantly - it’s possibly even better than I remember. Phendrana Drifts level and boss are some of the best I can recall in any game.

It’s probably my favourite non-Zelda game of all time. Just what was needed after the disappointment of Tears of the Kingdom. 

Really hope they remaster the other two as I’ve never played 3.

I’ve no idea how I made it through the original with the classic control scheme, though. Only being able to aim/look up and down while standing still is a nightmare. 

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Sea of Stars getting rave reviews. Been looking forward to it for years so it's really nice to see. Will be keeping an eye out for a Switch physical version.

Looks great doesn't it! I'll pick it up in a sale on PSN at some point I hope. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's on PS Plus and GamePass right now by the way

I don't have (nor shall I) the relevant tier on PS Plus for it, but I don't mind waiting!

Edited by hogso

Rare appearance from me in these waters.

I’ve been looking at the possibilities of buying a switch for my daughter for either Christmas or her birthday (quite near each other).

Of course, I now read the murmurs of a second version of the switch possibly being released next year.

This prospect leaves me uncertain what to do. I’d rather not buy the a switch (or the OLED version) if within six months it’s been superseded. 

I’m wondering about the Lite version. I believe that my kid would ideally like to play the games through the TV. But I am wondering whether the Lite version which although hand held, could act as both a temporary placeholder/alternative system which would still be played with should I buy her the new version of the switch next year.

Would anyone have any thoughts on this please? Just to say, if you do have any suggestion, please feel free to reply to me in simple language like you would do to your great, great grandparents when describing the pros and cons of all current and hypothetical new consoles. I am of a similar level of knowledge on such matters.

18 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve been looking at the possibilities of buying a switch for my daughter for either Christmas or her birthday (quite near each other).

Of course, I now read the murmurs of a second version of the switch possibly being released next year.

This prospect leaves me uncertain what to do. I’d rather not buy the a switch (or the OLED version) if within six months it’s been superseded. 

I’m wondering about the Lite version. I believe that my kid would ideally like to play the games through the TV. But I am wondering whether the Lite version which although hand held, could act as both a temporary placeholder/alternative system which would still be played with should I buy her the new version of the switch next year.

Would anyone have any thoughts on this please? Just to say, if you do have any suggestion, please feel free to reply to me in simple language like you would do to your great, great grandparents when describing the pros and cons of all current and hypothetical new consoles. I am of a similar level of knowledge on such matters.

Hi mate, I know nothing personally about these, but go with what my children tell me. I have an eight year old daughter who has a switch lite and an 11 year old son who has a switch oled. The difference in quality is apparently night and day. Bigger screen, clarity and brightness etc, but obviously a cost difference of approximately £100.

So factors could be age of your daughter, cost and perhaps the use of it? My daughter doesn’t use hers much, but mainly on holiday or in the car. She prefers her ipad. YouTube is her thing, watching just utter nonsense.

My lad likes his, but mainly plays just a couple of things, Roblox I think? He now wants a playstation 5 for Christmas, so we’re saving for that right now and watching deals.

I know nothing about an updated switch version coming next year, but depends on how badly your daughter wants one I suppose? Hope this helps and all the best 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks @ferguson1, any information/experience is definitely of use so that’s much appreciated.

My daughter is 7, so similar age to your daughter. She has an Amazon fire tablet which she uses, mainly for roblox and similar, although she does watch a lot of YouTube too.

She actually has a switch of some description at her mum’s. I’m not quite sure what the set up is there, she’s suggested she’d like to play it more than she does but she’s not allowed. I may speak to her mum about it.

What I may ultimately do is be up front and tell her a new is coming out (assuming it is confirmed) and that she can have that for next year. Would just leave me having to think of a different “big present” to buy this year. 

Cheers again :thumb:

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Thanks @ferguson1, any information/experience is definitely of use so that’s much appreciated.

My daughter is 7, so similar age to your daughter. She has an Amazon fire tablet which she uses, mainly for roblox and similar, although she does watch a lot of YouTube too.

She actually has a switch of some description at her mum’s. I’m not quite sure what the set up is there, she’s suggested she’d like to play it more than she does but she’s not allowed. I may speak to her mum about it.

What I may ultimately do is be up front and tell her a new is coming out (assuming it is confirmed) and that she can have that for next year. Would just leave me having to think of a different “big present” to buy this year. 

Cheers again :thumb:

No worries mate, anytime. Yes, sound very similar. My daughter moved from her fire tablet last Christmas to an iPad and that was the best present we bought. It’s used daily for several hours and she now uses it to talk to a couple of best friends. Might be something to think about?

I’m not into tech at all really. Never play online games and don’t really show any interest with the kid’s gaming stuff. It’s just not me, as I grew up with a football and only wanted football kits and boots growing up. 

• Like 1

On 08/09/2023 at 15:02, Mark Albrighton said:

Juat seen this.

I personally dont like the lite as it looks cheap and like a toy.

I personally think you dont need to go buy a OLED but why not pick up a cheaper one from cex?

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Juat seen this.

I personally dont like the lite as it looks cheap and like a toy.

I personally think you dont need to go buy a OLED but why not pick up a cheaper one from cex?

Thanks. I suppose I’m reluctant to buy either version (switch or OLED) if I know they will be superseded in a matter of months.

It would be cheaper from cex, but I don’t think it would be sufficiently cheap enough. Basically I feel like I should keep my powder dry for the newer version, if it does indeed appear within the next 12 months.

To counter that, there’s seemingly a lot of guesswork about the new model and as such it’s not blindingly obvious to me how much of an improvement on the original it will be.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Thanks. I suppose I’m reluctant to buy either version (switch or OLED) if I know they will be superseded in a matter of months.

It would be cheaper from cex, but I don’t think it would be sufficiently cheap enough. Basically I feel like I should keep my powder dry for the newer version, if it does indeed appear within the next 12 months.

To counter that, there’s seemingly a lot of guesswork about the new model and as such it’s not blindingly obvious to me how much of an improvement on the original it will be.

The Switch is badly showing it's age. It's 6 years old, knocking on 7, and wasn't cutting edge when it came out. It will be very difficult for Nintendo to release a new console that isn't a step up. It's become bad enough that a fair whack of enthusiast gamers don't even play Switch games on a Switch anymore, there's other ways to play them that overcome the hardware limitations the console has now.

However, the Switch is a very good console. It has a lot of great games on it, that have built up over that time. And who knows what Nintendo will do with the next console and back compatibility, or allowing digital library transfers (it's worth remembering that Nintendo act like a toy company mixed with Disney rather than a computer software company - they protect their library to maintain its value, they produce things with a view to our being item that lasts and is wholly replaced rather than evolved... they've only relatively recently come up with a modern digital account system for instance).

There is a new console coming, the theory is it's a year away, but we don't know that. I don't think I could buy a Switch today knowing that, still though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also there is a nintendo direct tomorrow wonder if they might give us something in regards to new console?

Focus is on winter releases, so I would expect the chances are extremely, extremely thin. The Direct is to flog stuff coming between now and the New Year and perhaps announce some smaller stuff to come in the next 9 months or so.

They won't reveal the new console until not-E3 next year most likely.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Focus is on winter releases, so I would expect the chances are extremely, extremely thin. The Direct is to flog stuff coming between now and the New Year and perhaps announce some smaller stuff to come in the next 9 months or so.

They won't reveal the new console until not-E3 next year most likely.

Yeah sadly i think your right

Lets see what kind of games we getting 

Thanks @Chindie

Would it be unreasonable of me to expect prices of the current model to drop significantly in the build up to a new version?

The cost aspect isn’t crucial, but I’d be happy(ish) knowing that I’ve saved a reasonable amount on a console that will still be used for the next 3-5 years.

Fwiw she hasn’t mentioned it at all recently so I’m wondering whether I will have to buy it at all when Christmas/birthday time comes around. Such is the capricious nature of kids. Well, my kid anyway.

The earlier suggestion by Ferguson of buying an iPad intrigued me, because I myself would probably find use for that ultimately should she get bored with it/want to move on to something else. It could act as a sort of stop gap. I don’t know, we’ll see.

The Switch has held it's value pretty well, because it's sold pretty consistently throughout it's lifetime. I'd guess when they break cover on the new one the price will come down, but I don't think they'll slash prices or anything. Some retailers might I guess when they need to clear stock but I just don't see the Switch ever being 'cheap'. The Lite has kinda filled that 'cheap Switch' niche, but that's a pure handheld really.

• Thanks 1

Â