Pokémon GO

hogso

As I said you're all clearly bonkers, but I must be bonkers too because I at least want to see what the hell you're all on about. 

However it's not on play store. 

Please tell me I don't have to do something mad to get this on my phone? Like buy an iPhone?

I've had a magikarp and a spearow so far, both from a 2km egg, but I'm just about to hatch my first 5km egg and about to start incubating a 10k egg.

I assume they're better pokemon, or at least a higher level.

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As I said you're all clearly bonkers, but I must be bonkers too because I at least want to see what the hell you're all on about. 

However it's not on play store. 

Please tell me I don't have to do something mad to get this on my phone? Like buy an iPhone?

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Android or iPhone? If Android then google "Pokemon Go apk" and you should find it. You'll need to change the security settings in your phone to allow apps from unauthorised sources to be installed.

If iphone then you have to sign up to a US apple account. Not sure how but googe it and you should be golden.

I don't really know how the combat works. Catching a pokemon just involves chucking pokeballs at pokemon. Taking gyms is via combat, but it appears to just involve tapping and swiping.

Edit: it's just been officially released in "Europe" so it'll probably be official here soon.

Edited by Stevo985

12 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I've had a magikarp and a spearow so far, both from a 2km egg, but I'm just about to hatch my first 5km egg and about to start incubating a 10k egg.

I assume they're better pokemon, or at least a higher level.

I got an egg today when i went pokeshop (right by the entrance of my work!!) but i did 10km today and got a poxy medal grrrr, probably have to do another 10 to get this egg. i swear if i get a poxy weedle or a bloody zubat when this hatches

By the way has anyone trialled this in a supermarket? just wondering if should bother having on for when i do my food shop later

Edited by Demitri_C

So is there anything stopping you jumping in a car if you have a 10km egg? EDIT* Is there anything stopping you driving slowly? :lol:

My work is in a pants location in Redditch, I have to walk quite far (about 750m) to get to a pokeshop.

I caught a Bulbasaur.

Edited by lapal_fan

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've tried opening the app and leaving it open when I'm driving.

Doesn't work. it knows you're not walking :(

Its probably for the best mate, imagine how many car accidents there would be

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So is there anything stopping you jumping in a car if you have a 10km egg? EDIT* Is there anything stopping you driving slowly? :lol:

My work is in a pants location in Redditch, I have to walk quite far (about 750m) to get to a pokeshop.

I caught a Bulbasaur.

Just the damn cops, man.

Skates would be good.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Its probably for the best mate, imagine how many car accidents there would be

Oh no, you can catch stuff while you're driving :D

But it doesn't count as walking when you're trying to hatch eggs.

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So is there anything stopping you jumping in a car if you have a 10km egg?

I caught a Bulbasaur.

Strap your phone to a baby/dog/cat/rhino.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So I download this thing, walk around catching these wee monster thingies, bumping in to people and probably getting myself run over, then we can all be mates?

It depends, we're quite a cool, popular bunch. We may pick on you if your pokemon are stupid.

9 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

So if someone else is playing the game near you, their avatar will show up on the map?

Not yet.  (Though they didn't do it in Ingress either - which just left some dubious practices of skimming the public activity logs to track other players' movements - and likely destinations)  

I've had mostly garbage from eggs, though a 10km one hatched this morning into a "beautiful" boxing-glove-wielding-dress-wearing-stick... 

Seeing other players' physical presence seems like a great way to become known as a tool for stalking. I can't imagine it'll ever be added.

Edited by Davkaus

Â