Pokémon GO

hogso

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You can tell when all of the kids are on their way to school. **** off and let the adults hunt their Pokemon you little shits.

:crylaugh:funny but true! one thing i dont get is how do you get these candies to make them evolve? i want to evolve my charmander

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

how do you get these candies to make them evolve? i want to evolve my charmander

Catching a Pokemon gets 3 candies.  Returning one to the Professor gets you one candy.

There is 1 type of candy for each evolutionary strain, so you'll be using the same Charmander candy to power up/evolve any Charmeleons as well.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Jeez, 3 miles? I must've lucked out, there's a gym about 100m away from my front door. I'm not level 5 yet, though so can't do anything with it. 

There's one right by me. But I went there last night and there were 3 red team members holding it all with like 600CP Pokemon. How have people got so good so quick?!

Luckily the gym I did take yesterday had nobody there (and I'm still holding it!)

35 minutes ago, CardiffGreens said:

Catching a Pokemon gets 3 candies.  Returning one to the Professor gets you one candy.

There is 1 type of candy for each evolutionary strain, so you'll be using the same Charmander candy to power up/evolve any Charmeleons as well.

So if you return the pokemon back to the professor you lose that pokemon and have to capture another one?

Gutted, missed out on a Clefairy this morning on the train in (I assume someone else on the train got it as it disappeared from the map mid battle) - looks like I'm going to have to start taking a coffee onto the train in order to be at my pokeball throwing best.  Up to 49 types caught at least and level 11 now.

The Guardian has also put up a handy list of quick tips (clicky).

There's also a Gym nearby with a 580CP Pigeot, 670CP Slowbro and 850CP Flareon assigned to it.  I was lucky enough to catch a 190CP Hypno last night, which after dumping all my drowzee candy onto has gone up to 609CP at least.  Rest of my storage is full of 10CP Magikarp though.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So if you return the pokemon back to the professor you lose that pokemon and have to capture another one?

Yes.

Basically use it for duplicates. 

The way I've been doing it is if I catch a pokemon I already have, then I "transfer" the weakest one back to the professor. That way you get the candy which is probably more valuable and you can eventually evolve it. 

I'm keeping my pokemon to one of every one I've caught. Any duplicates gets transferred.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes.

Basically use it for duplicates. 

The way I've been doing it is if I catch a pokemon I already have, then I "transfer" the weakest one back to the professor. That way you get the candy which is probably more valuable and you can eventually evolve it. 

I'm keeping my pokemon to one of every one I've caught. Any duplicates gets transferred.

Ahh that makes sense thanks. Bloody the ones that duplicate ones near me are always the lame ones (pidgey, rattat and caterpie) 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ahh that makes sense thanks. Bloody the ones that duplicate ones near me are always the lame ones (pidgey, rattat and caterpie) 

Yeah but once you evolve one, it's the same candy you get from the shitty ones that evolve the whole strain.

So for example, if you evolve your Weedle using Weedle candy in to a Kakuna, then it's the same Weedle candy that will then evolve the Kakuna.
So there's value in still collecting all the Weedle's that turn up because you can use all the candy to evolve your Kakuna

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but once you evolve one, it's the same candy you get from the shitty ones that evolve the whole strain.

So for example, if you evolve your Weedle using Weedle candy in to a Kakuna, then it's the same Weedle candy that will then evolve the Kakuna.
So there's value in still collecting all the Weedle's that turn up because you can use all the candy to evolve your Kakuna

Ah isee thanks. So basically if you get any fire pokemon for example, you can only feed fire candy to a charmander for it to evolve you cant use a candy from a caterpie?

Also how many you got now? You must be leader the villa talk boards at the moment!

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ah isee thanks. So basically if you get any fire pokemon for example, you can only feed fire candy to a charmander for it to evolve you cant use a candy from a caterpie?

Yes, but the candy is slightly more specific than that (elemental restrictions).

Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard will use "Charmander Candy" 

Ponyta and Rapidash (another fire-based type) will use "Ponyta Candy"

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also how many you got now? You must be leader the villa talk boards at the moment!

No I think the candy is specific to the actual family of pokemon (there's probably a real word for that but I'm a pokemon noob)

So Weedle candy is only used on a Weedle, a Kakuna and a Beedrill. You need different candy for a caterpie, for example.

I've captured 89, 27 unique.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No I think the candy is specific to the actual family of pokemon (there's probably a real word for that but I'm a pokemon noob)

So Weedle candy is only used on a Weedle, a Kakuna and a Beedrill. You need different candy for a caterpie, for example.

Are you tempted to play one of the old games now?

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Have you been traveling through Sheldon all day?! 

I wanna join in

Edited by villarule123

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Are you tempted to play one of the old games now?

No not really.

Although I am enjoying my Gameboy Colour emulator on my phone, once I've finished Link's Awakening I might get a Pokemon game.

I did try one years ago but only lasted about half an hour. Didn't know what I was doing. I really dislike turn based combat in games so that always put me off.

7 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Have you been traveling through Sheldon all day?! 

Reveal hidden contents

I wanna join in

I've been for two walks to collect pokemon, one of the walks I'd have gone on anyway. 

Genuinely most of mine is coming from my desk at work. Turn on the game, there's ALWAYS 2 or 3 pokemon just sitting there, grab them and grab my items from the pokestop and turn it off again. Takes about a minute.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I am guessing you can pick up fire pokemon near fire stations great none near me, and water ones near lakes

Definitely the water ones spawn near actual water. Didn't think it would be that clever but it looks like it is.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Definitely the water ones spawn near actual water. Didn't think it would be that clever but it looks like it is.

Well as it was quiet near work i thought take a walk see if i can get anything, i got one footprint to one that i don't have then all of a sudden a bloody drowzee pops up and the one i was chasing disappears! Then to top it off its starts pissing down with rain! Rain doesnt seem to bring out the water pokemon no matter how heavy it is!

• Like 1

Â