Villa players overlooked by England

Dave J

Can anyone help settle a debate please? I feel pretty sure that Gary Shaw got an England cap on the Bobby Robson managed tour down under in 1983? My friend said it was only Spinksy who got a cap on this tour- any thoughts please?

22 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Can anyone help settle a debate please? I feel pretty sure that Gary Shaw got an England cap on the Bobby Robson managed tour down under in 1983? My friend said it was only Spinksy who got a cap on this tour- any thoughts please?

Google (and wikepedia) say no....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Shaw

https://englandmemories.com/2015/06/11/england-on-tour-australia-1983-2/

Closest he got to a full call up was named in the 40 provisional squad players for the 82 world cup but not selected for the tournament 22. He did play for U21s though.

Nigel Spink (and John Gregory) were included in the tour of Australia.

Gary, Dennis Mortimer and Tony Morley all made the provisional 40-man squad for the 1982 World Cup but only Peter Withe made the final 22-man squad and he did not play in the competition. Shocking that a team that had won the league in 1981 and then the European Cup in 1982 were so under represented in Ron Greenwood's squad and that both Gary and Dennis never got a full England cap.     

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

I'm just imagining being 60 and telling my grandkids "there was this guy called Charles N'Zogbia. Used to "play" for Villa. I still hate him. Now let me tell you about the McLeish era...gather round...".

vector-of-scared-kids-running-from-door-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

Shaw is the same age as Linekar and at the time we won the league and European cup he was miles ahead of him as a footballer. 

Blimey I did not realize he was the same age as Linekar. Injuries robbed him of an incredible career.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

A shocking stat - Brian Little and Dennis Mortimer got 45 minutes between them for England. Travesty. In that respect England were managed by some right dickheads

Fixed

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hippo said:

A shocking stat - Brian Little and Dennis Mortimer got 45 minutes between them for England. Travesty. In that respect they played for the wrong club.

They actually only got 18 minutes between them. Brian came on with England 2-1 down to Wales on the 71st minute and crossed for David Johnson's equalizer in 1975 when aged 21. Revie then dropped him for the Scotland game 3 days later and Brian was never given another England appearance. I'm still angry about it!  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, John said:

They actually only got 18 minutes between them. Brian came on with England 2-1 down to Wales on the 71st minute and crossed for David Johnson's equalizer in 1975 when aged 21. Revie then dropped him for the Scotland game 3 days later and Brian was never given another England appearance. I'm still angry about it!  

Yes me too. Did he not get his first cap before Francis? There was quite a rivalry between those two players at the time, when amongst the fans anyway. Have to concede Francis had the better career though.

33 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes me too. Did he not get his first cap before Francis? There was quite a rivalry between those two players at the time, when amongst the fans anyway. Have to concede Francis had the better career though.

Francis got his first England appearance the following year. Brian's injury cut short his career in much the same as was the case with Gary. To lose one great player through injury was hard enough to take let alone two of them. 

On 12 June 2016 at 19:18, PaulC said:

Shaw is the same age as Linekar and at the time we won the league and European cup he was miles ahead of him as a footballer. 

Omg this is so true- I try telling people this all of the time and just get laughed at- if it wasn't for injuries Shaw would have kept Lineker on the bench for England

Â