Villa players overlooked by England

Dave J

5 hours ago, useless said:

Up until just over a year ago, we had provided England with more internationals than any other club. Tottenham have overtaken us now.

telegraph60_2204892j.jpg       Thought you might find this of interest

By Telegraph Sport

12:21PM BST 01 Apr 2015

It was probably lost on the man himself, but when Ryan Mason stepped onto the field at the Juventus Stadium in Turin on Tuesday night to make his England debut against Italy, he was also making a little bit of English football history.

By becoming the 73rd Tottenham player to represent England, Mason made Spurs the most prolific producer of England internationals alongside Aston Villa, as our graphic shows:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11508860/How-many-players-has-your-club-provided-for-England.html

902-1427886757628765834.png

5 hours ago, useless said:

Yeah, I imagine with Alli and Dier getting caps now, that they've overtaken us.

Yes it happened during the pre tournament friendlies 

• Like 1

Mark Walters.  Mid 80's and I was roughly nine or ten at the time, my dad took me to quite a lot of home games and Mark Walters, along with Paul Birch and Gordon Cowans, were just great to watch.  Walters seem to score in every home game, which of course he didn't, but must have got into double figures?  Anyway, I really liked to watch him as a kid and don't think he ever got an England cap whilst playing for us. 

I think it was just the era... even Andy Gray only got 20 caps for Scotland. Countries didn't seem to play as many meaningless friendlies as they do now and squads weren't really rotated. It was your best XI and that was it. Obviously lack of multiple substitutions as well restricted appearances. 

How did Darius Vassell get so many England games.

Also, I get really annoyed how much of a close shop England team is, if you move to top 4/5/6 you get in automatically, it's a disgrace and I'd argue is one of the main reasons England struggle.

24 minutes ago, Folski said:

How did Darius Vassell get so many England games.

Also, I get really annoyed how much of a close shop England team is, if you move to top 4/5/6 you get in automatically, it's a disgrace and I'd argue is one of the main reasons England struggle.

Never let England down when he played...except for that missed penalty lolz.

Ciaran Clark will always be the one that got away for me. We should have tied him down sooner.

I noticed a bit of unnecessary pointing in England's game tonight so I think Westwood would have to be a surprise omission on that basis? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

I noticed a bit of unnecessary pointing in England's game tonight so I think Westwood would have to be a surprise omission on that basis? 

Probably would have been more use than Wilshere....

On 12 June 2016 at 14:53, John said:

Gary, Dennis Mortimer and Tony Morley all made the provisional 40-man squad for the 1982 World Cup but only Peter Withe made the final 22-man squad and he did not play in the competition. Shocking that a team that had won the league in 1981 and then the European Cup in 1982 were so under represented in Ron Greenwood's squad and that both Gary and Dennis never got a full England cap.     

The same can be said for Leicester this tournament, how Jack Wheelchair got in at the expense of Danny Drinkwater boggles my mind.

I guess even back then managers preferred their "big club" players over form and actual quality. It's why Italia '90 was the last major tournament I took any interest in, club over country all day long for me.

• Like 1

Â