Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Re housing development. I hope they have done their research, B6 has to be in the lowest 20 percentile of property prices. Unless they want to do social housing but I can't see hard nosed businessman bothering with that. On the flip side, an increase of population within the area would help to justify any works on Aston or Witton station, as the business case for either at the moment just for matchday is flimsy at best.

It just seems yet another change in direction, I am not sure what they really want to do with Villa Park. 

I suspect this isn't a change in direction.  All of the references to the North Stand and Trinity work refer to it being phase one and to "developing a winder masterplan for Aston in collaboration with Birmingham City Council and the West Midlands Combined Authority" https://www.avfc.co.uk/villa-park/future

I expect that housing and commercial development was always part of the master plan....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Developed by the now bankrupt council and is being sold off.

So?  it was still built and will still be sold.  Not the fault of the development that the Council went bust.

This is being built down the Soho Rd in Ladywood.

17021_soholoop_L4.jpg?format=1500w

SohoWharfGalliardHomesApsleyBirmingham.g

• Like 3

I think @The Fun Factory is just saying, even if this always was the plan, why did we have to delay the most important part from the club's perspective which was redevelopment of the oldest, smallest stand.

11 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I think @The Fun Factory is just saying, even if this always was the plan, why did we have to delay the most important part from the club's perspective which was redevelopment of the oldest, smallest stand.

To pay for it?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Atairos funding/input?

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

I don't know.  Perhaps they also wanted to look at doing the Doug Ellis Stand as part of the same programme of work/before the North.  I am hoping all will become clear as part of the 150 anniversary celebrations.

• Like 1

To Unlock the DE stand first?? 

I’ve mentioned before about possibly re profiling it (got no traction :-)), but part of the reason I was thinking this was to unlock the issues with that stand - blocking lower holte, how it would fit awkwardly with new North stand etc. (not to mention concourse), my thinking was reconfigure stand to sort those issues, then build north stand and then in the future when able to, extend above and beyond DE stand.  

Maybe just maybe they may now be thinking to try and acquire houses and do DE stand first full stop?? 
god knows,….. but I do see logic in trying to sort it one way or other before building north stand as we wouldn’t want another stand with design flaws because of an adjacent, pretty rubbish stand…..with design flaws. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheLeftSide said:

I’ve mentioned before about possibly re profiling it (got no traction :-)), but part of the reason I was thinking this was to unlock the issues with that stand - blocking lower holte, how it would fit awkwardly with new North stand etc. (not to mention concourse), my thinking was reconfigure stand to sort those issues, then build north stand and then in the future when able to, extend above and beyond DE stand.  

Maybe just maybe they may now be thinking to try and acquire houses and do DE stand first full stop?? 
god knows,….. but I do see logic in trying to sort it one way or other before building north stand as we wouldn’t want another stand with design flaws because of an adjacent, pretty rubbish stand…..with design flaws. 

So they could go from something that could have started a day after the season ended, to a project that would involve buying up property and building over a busy road? Could take years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, andycv said:

I don't know.  Perhaps they also wanted to look at doing the Doug Ellis Stand as part of the same programme of work/before the North.  I am hoping all will become clear as part of the 150 anniversary celebrations.

Me too

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So they could go from something that could have started a day after the season ended, to a project that would involve buying up property and building over a busy road? Could take years.

Which is why I hope that’s not the case, development couldn’t come soon enough for me. 

Was just floating possible thoughts about delays, in response to the last few conversations. 

I too get the general question why delay stand if general area was in the master plan anyhow, which got me thinking about maybe the DE is the problem. 

one day we’ll get an update and we can stop trying to work out what the hells going on 😁

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, TRO said:

It's certainly a way, but I am not sure its the right way, assuming it could change the profile of the fan base....for the worst.

I am not an expert on this, just posting my pennyworth.

It doesn't seem to my knowledge ,it's a  way the Germans look at it....With Munich, and Dortmund, I am told have cheaper, prices and less expensive Beer, No wonder they have huge crowds and I guess the maths spell huge volumes.

I fear, doing it the way, you suggest, would diminish, not enhance the atmosphere.....it could be in danger of creating a ground full of "Prawn Sandwiches".....people who could take it or leave it.

I guess Chris Heck has forgot more than I know, about Marketing....but Chelsea, is a completely different environment to B6.....He needs to be careful, with his ambitions.

I am getting to an age, where it doesn't really matter, I have had 60 odd years of Supporting Villa, and I will continue, until my health, says no more.....but I have witnessed, many , many years where the club, would have bitten off your arm for a full house....Even the greatest season 1980/81 was c 30-35,000.....very up and down in terms of volume/attendance.

I am now supporting Villa, with a full house, every week.....He wants to be careful not to kill the goose who lays the golden egg.

Folk tell me it takes time to build a squad, and yes I know......and it takes time to increase entrance fees without being avarice....to keep raising prices too quick, could lead to unrest, and an inevitable reversal of feet.

The intrinsic nature of a fan, with a battle hardened loyalty, that is not easily put off, by a run of bad defeats, are not easy to come by...Chris Heck, should be aware of that....some corporate fans are here today and gone tomorrow, its business....but the business, wants the buzz of the lay crowd....kill that, and there is no corporate interest.

He needs to be careful, what he wishes for and his aspirations of us fans with a perceived bottomless pocket.

I think there's a key underlying assumption here on that you replace a current season ticket holder (who brings atmosphere but the lowest revenue per fan let's say because of the discount a season ticket is) and you replace them with a higher paying fan but lose atmosphere. 

The underlying assumption being those who can pay more for tickets are not as passionate which I think isn't true. In the case of corporate seating it is and the "prawn sandwich" eating it would be however. 

I think the challenge is balance. We need more premium seats with premium prices available that can be purchased as in if a group of Villa fans want to fly to Birmingham to see a game they can pay a price and the club gets the money. Instead of them having to buy tickets on resale on Viagogo. 

It's about finding the balance in seating and pricing. Not necessarily about sheer capacity of the stadium 

Edited by CVByrne

43 minutes ago, andycv said:

Why won't Gabby just tell us?  He's quite happy to shoot his mouth off over all sorts of other stuff best left unsaid!

31 minutes ago, TheLeftSide said:

I was thinking this.

If they can "do a Liverpool" and build behind first as well (Which we know that can't do with the North Stand) it means that we might not suffer the reduced capacity that having The North out of action for a season might bring.

But they we'd be looking at more like a 55,000 + capacity stadium after the North Stand is then built.  Though maybe they would look at a more modest North Stand rebuild at that time.

Posted (edited)

It is still possible for work to start on the North Stand next summer.

The club comissioned a stadium bowl feasability study. The small increase (2-3k) was always going to happen after the NS. This study may have included the next phase of re-development after the north stand or re-building DE stand first

The club are taking the practical steps for an increase in capacity with regards to the transport (shuttle buses/parking etc). Atairos also investing into the club for big projects. The players entering VP on trinity road may also indicate they are preparing for work on a new North Stand.

Let's see what is communicated within the next few months - IF they are creating something grand they will want to announce it in the club's 150th year.

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Like as has been said many times. The answers are the most obvious logical ones.

Heck reviewed the plans and had to decide if we proceed or not. The timing was obviously poor as we are in a period of FFP rules changes and in a football sense qualification for CL and then demolishing the stand. In addition to the rise in building costs.

So he makes the decision we don't go ahead with it as planned. We focus on improving the fan experience and adding seating elsewhere and upgrading other parts of VP to help increase revenue year over year. 

We then need to plan a new approach for increasing capacity and the North Stand. So you can't expect the club to have that now, it'll come in time. Might be this summer we unveils new plans for VP into the future 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why is Heck talking openly about increasing the size of Villa Park to 50,000?

That article will cost me a pound to read. I'm going to cancel reading it and re-read the articles and books I already own.

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

That article will cost me a pound to read. I'm going to cancel reading it and re-read the articles and books I already own.

You can read the full text in the Chris Heck Cocksucker ®™ thread

• Haha 1

Â