Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

10 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

I have to say, I hate the Brentford set up. The ground is okay, not amazing, but it's so clear it's been forced into a very limited space and so many 'complimentary' buildings around it. Never really sussed the transport as have a parking space not too far away, so maybe that's a plus? But, overall, 3/10 for Brentford.

Our site would be much less constrained, but essentially I'm just saying this is another example of modern housing developments around a new stadium. 

15 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

I have to say, I hate the Brentford set up. The ground is okay, not amazing, but it's so clear it's been forced into a very limited space and so many 'complimentary' buildings around it. Never really sussed the transport as have a parking space not too far away, so maybe that's a plus? But, overall, 3/10 for Brentford.

It's fine for what it is. 

Not a souless legoland bowl, fits in with the surroundings and is an upgrade on Griffin Park (not hard, that part). 

What I'm saying is you could actually make money out of this, rather than it costing loads. 

If you have to purchase say 500 houses, you may be able to build and sell 1,000 apartments in their place, so the land acquisition and site clearance actually pays for itself. 

A new school can be built though I understand a lot of schools are slated for closure at the moment due to falling birthrate. 

Or the school can be left in situ. There is masses of space there. 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/dec/16/primary-schools-in-england-close-merge-and-shrink-as-pupil-numbers-fall

Primary schools in England close, merge and shrink as pupil numbers fall

Primary schools are being closed, merged and shrunk as councils across England respond to falling numbers of pupils due to the falling birth rate as well as family upheaval triggered by rising costs, Brexit and Covid.

London Councils says almost 15% of school places in the city are now unfilled. It is forecasting a further 7% decrease in new pupils between now and 2026-27, equivalent to about 243 classes of children.

Analysis by the Guardian found that 88 primary schools in England were more than two-thirds empty last year, leaving them in danger of closure. Overall there were more unfilled places than at any time since 2010, the equivalent to 570,000 missing pupils or 11.5% of school capacity.

Paul Whiteman, the general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers, said falling pupil numbers was a concern for many school leaders

Seen a few stories like this recently. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If you have to purchase say 500 houses, you may be able to build and sell 1,000 apartments in their place, so the land acquisition and site clearance actually pays for itself. 

I’d expect us to partner with someone like Ballymore for example and potentially to appease the council / local government develop a mix of affordable and build to rent units as well as private ownership. With Aston Hall grounds nearby it would be served with vast amount of green space, Tesco’s already in the area. Two upgraded mainline train stations to service the area to and from the centre. It would be transformative. Shame it’s just a message board pipe dream and far from reality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

Scenes when these new appointments are just to squeeze in an extra 3000 seats at VP. 

3000 extra corporate seats @ £400 a match. 

No extra standard seats. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

s a capacity of 2,100 people per hour (in both directions but most will be going to the city centre not the airport, though that could be used as a roundabout way to reach the city by train), which is clearly insufficient for a 60,000 seater stadium and the NEC car parks are an absolute disaster to get out off after a concer

Considering the board now includes the CEO of a construction company owned by NS and a person with past experience helping WE with a similar situation for the Milwaukee Bucks, I'd suggest that the expertise is there to take whichever approach is deemed most beneficial to the long-term viability of the club.

It goes without saying, a new stadium, with top quality facilities for all fans, usable all year round, amongst a redeveloped vicinity, in the second city... that's a very attractive prospect. However much Villa fans care for it, Villa Park will always have its limitations when compared to modern stadiums. If it can remain in the area, and Villa Park remains an icon e.g. a museum in the Holte and a public space to the Holte Pub, it might be the best outcome.

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1

There still has to be a business case developed for the funding of the witton station upgrades. The argument against it - is that the station is dead non-match days. The club is key for a master plan of the area imo, it is a big responsibility but leverage too.

Well having checked out the new Olympic stadium in Egypt built by our owners company we certainly have the expertise to build a mega stadium.

Add to that the expertise on rail and mono rail we have just employed something is clearly in the pipeline.

6 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Well having checked out the new Olympic stadium in Egypt built by our owners company we certainly have the expertise to build a mega stadium.

Add to that the expertise on rail and mono rail we have just employed something is clearly in the pipeline.

Not just a stadium, they built a whole sports complex! 

Could you imagine what they might surround a new Villa stadium with?! The fan experience could be off the charts.

39 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Scenes when these new appointments are just to squeeze in an extra 3000 seats at VP. 

Surely increasing revenue more quickly with a smaller capacity increase and the creation of the warehouse will help us with FFP in the short term, while (hopefully) a bigger project in the pipeline will chain together the next phase of our growth and progress.

Edited by Villa_Vids

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there are rules (possibly even laws) that prevent clubs moving geographically outside of their traditional city/home. I'm not sure if they'd consider Solihull a suburb of Birmingham and therefore it would be okay - the NEC itself is Birmingham following a bit of chicanery with the swap for North Solihull ( a bit of Chelmsley Wood) - but I don't think any of the surrounds would be.

Milton Keynes Dons say Hi 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Buy the land from Witton Lane to the river - build a new stadium on it and use Villa Park while you do - there's room for both - then use the space where Villa Park is now to build the facilities that make it a benefit to the community and a place where you want to be on matchdays whilst opening up the links through to the park and Aston Hall.

Could also use it as a concert venue, museum and such. 

3 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

Its not the owners or money though its the companies in the Uk that can do such a project.

There arent many, and the ones that can dont want the project at the cost originally specced up… at the moment.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This would be great but what happens to all the current residents ? Politically feels like a non starter.  

They get paid? Then they buy new homes elsewhere. Perhaps on a site developed by NSWE

12 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Its not the owners or money though its the companies in the Uk that can do such a project.

There arent many, and the ones that can dont want the project at the cost originally specced up… at the moment.

If this is happening I doubt they are going to outsource the project. Especially when so much of each of these investment groups wealth is in infrastructure and construction. 

5 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

They get paid? Then they buy new homes elsewhere. Perhaps on a site developed by NSWE

I get that, it just feels like something that will get a lot of opposition from somewhere. Especially if a lot of the local residents don’t own their properties. 

I may be wrong about that though.

How did Doug buy all the houses on Witton Lane when the current Witton Lane stand was built? 

Did he just make the residents offers they couldn't refuse? 

Â