Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Buy the land from Witton Lane to the river - build a new stadium on it and use Villa Park while you do - there's room for both - then use the space where Villa Park is now to build the facilities that make it a benefit to the community and a place where you want to be on matchdays whilst opening up the links through to the park and Aston Hall.

I've been looking at the same area thinking it does look about the right size, and obviously right next to where we are now, but there's an awful lot of people that would have to be moved, as well as a school potentially.

Not going to be cheap or easy to get hold of that many properties.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Buy the land from Witton Lane to the river - build a new stadium on it and use Villa Park while you do - there's room for both - then use the space where Villa Park is now to build the facilities that make it a benefit to the community and a place where you want to be on matchdays whilst opening up the links through to the park and Aston Hall.

You mean CPO the land which some find unfavourable for some reason. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

You mean CPO the land which some find unfavourable for some reason. 

I do. I think the benefit to the wider area point (which I think you raised earlier) is important - but I think the wider area would have to take into account the benefit for the city as a whole as much as it would for Aston. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The problem is that the NEC group (Blackstone) already has plans in place to develop a lot of the land immediately around the NEC for housing, and there are going to be 5,000 new homes built in the immediate surrounds. Then the most obvious patch of land, the one just the other side of the M42 from the East Car Parks, is where the HS2 station will be going and the land just beyond that is a massive landfill where Birmingham has spent the last thirty years burying its rubbish - that bit would be completely unusable.

So what you're left with is the plot that's next to the M6 and the junction with the A446 - which isn't a bad site at all, but loses a little bit of the convenience you'd hope to get from the NEC site - at its nearest it's almost 2.5km from NEC train station - so you'd need to get off the train and get on the planned monorail (no, really) that will link the NEC and the HS2 station, then walk the fifteen minutes or so to the stadium from the station.(unless the club provide shuttle busses). The NEC's parking would be available, but again you'd need the monorail to cross the M42 or face a long walk over a future bridge. 

That's all still possible and from a driving point of view, the possibility of adding links to the M42, the M6, the A446 and A452 might make it quite reasonable for drivers (although it would mean the stadium having to include substantial parking). There's plenty of room, but nothing there at the moment but fields and a bit of woodland so there's a blank canvas but a lot of work to add any life at all to the stadium and the area around it.

There's a reasonable site there, but it would take an enormous amount of money to develop and there would be a lot to do in order for it not to be the very definition of soulless on non-matchdays - you'd essentially have to build a small town around it as well as provide new junctions and massive parking - all on green belt land that's always been very, very sensitive to the encroachment of the city or the NEC.

On paper, it's possible and pre-HS2 it would have been a brilliant site - the proposed national stadium the NEC was going to build was to be situated right where the HS2 station is - but right now, you'd be a tiny bit isolated - separated from the NEC by a massive rail project and a motorway and there would be big objections to it. It's not the slam dunk a lot of people seem to think it is.

image.png

Can we buy Birmingham airport?! Went through it recently. Got to the be the worst airport going. 

• Like 4

Something that's crossed my mind. Wouldn't make a huge difference but may help with expansion. When I visited the Camp Nou it looked a lot smaller than I was expecting. Not as tall as I was expecting. But once I go inside it was huge. It's clear the pitch is lower/below ground. Like the stadium sits in the ground more than if it was at ground level. If that makes sense? I wonder if there's scope to do that at Villa Park and add some seating? Probably pie in the sky and not feasible from a structural point of view. Just something I thought about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

Something that's crossed my mind. Wouldn't make a huge difference but may help with expansion. When I visited the Camp Nou it looked a lot smaller than I was expecting. Not as tall as I was expecting. But once I go inside it was huge. It's clear the pitch is lower/below ground. Like the stadium sits in the ground more than if it was at ground level. If that makes sense? I wonder if there's scope to do that at Villa Park and add some seating? Probably pie in the sky and not feasible from a structural point of view. Just something I thought about.

Yeah they did dig out and lower the pitch level in Camp Nou, to fit more seating in. I don’t think we have as much space around the pitch as they did though. But if we did I bet we could at 8-9000 by doing that:

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I do. I think the benefit to the wider area point (which I think you raised earlier) is important - but I think the wider area would have to take into account the benefit for the city as a whole as much as it would for Aston. 

The amount of apartments, hotel beds, offices, retail, recreational and community facilities which could be built within the highlighted area would be a massive catalyst for regeneration and could also get government levelling up funding towards the wider area. It would add value to the remaining houses. 

IMG_9845.jpeg

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3

Just now, thabucks said:

The amount of apartments, hotel beds, offices, retail, recreational and community facilities which could be built within the highlighted area would be a massive catalyst for regeneration and could also get government levelling up funding towards the wider area. It would add value to the remaining houses. 

IMG_9844.jpeg

Quite probably - but that's exactly the site I'd like us to buy for the football club - it'd give us space to develop open, up the roads a little more and if we were to build a new Villa Park between where we are now and the railway, open up an incredible space, sweeping across from the park to an open public space where the stadium currently sits that takes you from Aston Hall to the frontage of the new stadium. I think the site you've circled would be as good as any in terms of the best place to put a football stadium in Birmingham.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As I said earlier the housing is really poor quality and will inevitably be redevelopment sooner rather than later due to net zero targets. 

Council/Government would be delighted to find a private partner to do it I would think. 

I would expect a development similar to what they've done in Perry Barr on the old polytechnic site.  Replace big swathes of low density poor quality inefficient housing with higher density net zero attractive homes next to a reinvigorated railway station utilising the space created for a new stadium.

Most new stadiums have modern developments surrounding them these days. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

IMG_9845.jpeg

Yep buy all that, build hyper giga VP keep original VP as museum and for youth/women's team. 

Edited by VillaJ100

I think there are rules (possibly even laws) that prevent clubs moving geographically outside of their traditional city/home. I'm not sure if they'd consider Solihull a suburb of Birmingham and therefore it would be okay - the NEC itself is Birmingham following a bit of chicanery with the swap for North Solihull ( a bit of Chelmsley Wood) - but I don't think any of the surrounds would be.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there are rules (possibly even laws) that prevent clubs moving geographically outside of their traditional city/home. I'm not sure if they'd consider Solihull a suburb of Birmingham and therefore it would be okay - the NEC itself is Birmingham following a bit of chicanery with the swap for North Solihull ( a bit of Chelmsley Wood) - but I don't think any of the surrounds would be.

Solihull is a B post code so surely classed as the Birmingham area?

Edit - not that I’m advocating moving to Solihull! 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oooh no, no, no. I am not going back into the postcode rabbit hole. 

Let's move to Streetly!

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Solihull is a B post code so surely classed as the Birmingham area?

Edit - not that I’m advocating moving to Solihull! 

So is Tamworth

Â