Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

I’d love to stay at villa park but the desire of most owners is to turn their stadium into an all year round revenue generating behemoth. If they turn the area of Aston into a destination I might have to start a religion for them it would be that much of a miracle. 

We have to move to another location or force the council into a CPO on the land behind the Doug Ellis. 

Long term those are the only viable options so best we get this resolved asap. It’s basically as simple as that. 

55 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I don't get it either. I want to soak in the football and the atmosphere not have it in a beer induced haze.

I had drink once at a sporting occasion while invited to a box and said I would never do it again.

I think the point is it shouldn't be either/or, those that want a beer should be able to get one without missing any of the game. I'm sure we'd sell a lot more food and drinks at games if it didn't take so long. If we want to maximise revenues at Villa Park then the service is one of many things that need to improve.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We have to move to another location or force the council into a CPO on the land behind the Doug Ellis. 

Long term those are the only viable options so best we get this resolved asap. It’s basically as simple as that. 

asap? It’s the same conversation as before we even built the DE stand 30 years ago…the club seem in no rush either.  I don’t think anything will be happening ‘asap’ regarding behind DE stand or a new stadium.

20 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Always felt the Doug Ellis stand is too far back from the pitch . Could have added a few more rows of seats in that stand if they had come in a bit more. 

The original lower tier was closer to the pitch but they had to re-do it a year after it was built. But yes, I agree. You could start a new stand closer to the pitch at a different rake and build a new upper tier further back if you did do a deal for the lands and houses

I was looking up photos earlier of the new Holte being built and even as half a building site Villa Park looked special in autumn 1994. It's why I have no issue with us playing in front of a half built North Stand if it goes ahead

aston-villa-villa-park-holte-end-4-october-1994-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Got to say it, you sound a touch rattled . . .

. . . mate. 

I mean who would’nt be … it looks like a spaceship 😂 

Back to the home of league football, Heck did say they were focusing on bettering the experience for all fans and not just one stand so you’d expect them all to be given an overhaul this summer. The cost of renovating all the concourses and redoing the corporate areas won’t come cheap, plus add in the warehouse, I think once we’ve upgraded these and maximised the income from them they’ll look again at the New North Stand and hopefully go bigger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

asap? It’s the same conversation as before we even built the DE stand 30 years ago…the club seem in no rush either.  I don’t think anything will be happening ‘asap’ regarding behind DE stand or a new stadium.

Let me ask you a very simple question. IF we are still at Villa park in 25 years time and the capacity of the stadium is under 60k how competitive do you think we’ll be? 

We already know the answer to that question is that we won’t be competitive at all. Hence the need to get clarity on the scale of redevelopment possibilities asap or we move. Personally, I wouldn’t mess around as the costs of a new stadium are only going to increase without delay. 

9 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Let me ask you a very simple question. IF we are still at Villa park in 25 years time and the capacity of the stadium is under 60k how competitive do you think we’ll be? 

We already know the answer to that question is that we won’t be competitive at all. Hence the need to get clarity on the scale of redevelopment possibilities asap or we move. Personally, I wouldn’t mess around as the costs of a new stadium are only going to increase without delay. 

Our ground is bigger than Stamford Bridge. Stadium capacity is not the only or even main constraint on competitiveness. 

• Like 2

What does that have to do with the price of cheese? Do you think brummies are going to pay  anywhere near what Chelsea season ticket/hospitality attendees pay? That would be a minimum doubling of season tickets where they are today. Good luck with that. 

And you’re 100 percent wrong. In the modern age how much revenue you clear from your stadium is absolutely critical in determining how much PSR room you have. Unless of course your plan is to sell your best players every year.

Edited by DakotaVilla

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Always felt the Doug Ellis stand is too far back from the pitch . Could have added a few more rows of seats in that stand if they had come in a bit more. 

I always think the opposite - it's too far forward.

If you look at @Captain_Townsend's fantastic picture:

aston-villa-villa-park-holte-end-4-october-1994-legendary-football-grounds.jpg.73328c2013761938054f2294f097a0e3.jpg

You can see how badly it impacts on the Holte End  - people often talk about 'filling in the corners' but this corner is already pretty much full of Holte End - to fill in the corner you'd need to knock down the left-most block of the Holte and then join up the two stands. For me, any development of the Doug Ellis Stand should start with the front row of the lower tier to the left of the staircase that's furthest left in the Lower Holte - it would open the Holte End up a little and give us a ground that's 'squarer'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

What does that have to do with the price of cheese? Do you think brummies are going to pay  anywhere near what Chelsea season ticket/hospitality attendees pay? That would be a minimum doubling of season tickets where they are today. Good luck with that. 

Chelsea season ticket prices aren't too much more than ours, maybe 15%.

The hospitality at Chelsea is class leading though and they bring in incomes that put them in the top three in the league through their hospitality - that's where we're aiming to be with this summers rumoured hospitality developments.

In reality the whole  Doug Ellis and north stands need to be knocked down and completely rebuilt as a minimum. The stadium plan should then also consider a complete rebuild of the holte in the next 10 years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Chelsea season ticket prices aren't too much more than ours, maybe 15%.

The hospitality at Chelsea is class leading though and they bring in incomes that put them in the top three in the league through their hospitality - that's where we're aiming to be with this summers rumoured hospitality developments.

That’s clearly incorrect. Chelsea’s limited cheapest season tickets are the same price as our most expensive. The vast majority of their season tickets are 880/900 quid. Their hospitality goes for multiple thousands. 

We are absolutely no where near the leverage that Chelsea get from their stadium and a few additional poxy 100 pound a go hospitality tickets are not going to make any difference at all. 

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I always think the opposite - it's too far forward.

If you look at @Captain_Townsend's fantastic picture:

aston-villa-villa-park-holte-end-4-october-1994-legendary-football-grounds.jpg.73328c2013761938054f2294f097a0e3.jpg

You can see how badly it impacts on the Holte End  - people often talk about 'filling in the corners' but this corner is already pretty much full of Holte End - to fill in the corner you'd need to knock down the left-most block of the Holte and then join up the two stands. For me, any development of the Doug Ellis Stand should start with the front row of the lower tier to the left of the staircase that's furthest left in the Lower Holte - it would open the Holte End up a little and give us a ground that's 'squarer'.

So you would rather a stand further back from the pitch akin to the Olympic stadium / murrayfield  just cause the Holte was built way past the touchline ? It would be an awful View from the last row of the top tier. 

IMG_9829.jpeg

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

So you would rather a stand further back from the pitch akin to the Olympic stadium / murrayfield  just cause the Holte was built way past the touchline ? It would be an awful View from the last row of the top tier. 

Nope, the opposite, I wouldn't want a round bowl just a large stand, straight along the touchline that's thirty feet further back so that it opens up the nightlines from the Holte - widen the pitch by eight feet, give the dugouts another six feet of room, and you're looking at the same view as you get from the back of the Upper Trinity.

• Like 2

Â