Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

What is the site,  that Villa Park sits on, worth without Villa Park, ok to most of us without Villa, it’s worth naff all but it must have some value? If, as I suspect, this is fairly low we could “gift” it to the council, in exchange for something that is of a higher intrinsic value to us. Over all I’d say it’s all up on the air as far as income is concerned bums on seats is largely not worth what it was but the spectacle of a huge crowd is important to the viewing public and probably to the players too, home advantage is still important. So I think the view of Heck and the owners is probably that a new big super stadium is a valuable goal in terms of image but needs to bring in money more often thsn 19 times a year and possibly local and national government are important to get on board when considering the bigger picture. CL football in the city of Birmingham ultimately needs to be an attractive proposition for the whole of the midlands area and there’s only one way to get that, which is of course Villa being successful on the pitch and then us exploiting that commercially, which is probably through TV, wether we like it or not. It’s sadly no longer 1981or 82. Villa Park is a wonderful old stadium as a whole and is liked by many fans other than us but it needs to be modernised and let’s be honest the only stand we really care about is the Holte, which id like to think in any development it will be considered and remain a huge stand that is kept separate from the rest of the stadium, hopefully a single terrace that scares the living daylights out of the opposition players and fans alike. So success on the pitch is, as always massively important for lots of reasons, some measured in the heart but equally plenty in the accounts. Unless the PL move the goal posts again. Although I’m pretty sure £ will play a huge role wherever ths goal posts are put! To build a lasting legacy NAS and Wes probably have to rebuild the city of Birmingham or at least take plenty of credit for doing so. I’m pretty sure this uncertainty is what’s really holding up the north stand plans. If we don’t have a new super stadium in the midlands then someone else will either in the midlands or not! Adidas Villa Park in Birmingham the heart of England homebto the European Champions and GB Athletics etc…………also the Tom Hanks Multiplx experience and the biggest concert venue in Europe where you can visit The Ozzy Zone and it the head off a Blue Nose in front of a huge audience!  Ok the last one might not get council approval! But you get my drift!

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's absolutely baffling. I think I've run out of ways to write 'it isn't happening, the club have said repeatedly and explicitly it isn't happening, none of the background work that would be necessary is happening'. 

Ultimately whatever is causing this bizarre belief that we're about to move, what will eventually kill it off is the dawning realisation that it keeps not happening. 

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I dont think the lies given for why its not happening can be used to explain why something else might not happen. 

Well that's true I guess and maybe I'm just being a bit negative about it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would be very surprised if that's the case. The club have stated it's not something they are considering and have further stated that they never see us leaving Villa Park. 

To be fair, I could have sworn that Purslow was saying that they didn't have any plans whatsoever to redevelop Villa Park at the start of 2021: which I think would have been around half a year before Villa said that they had plans to redevelop Villa Park.

By all means, he might have been telling the truth, and that they did reconsidered their stance. Regardless, I'm not too sure the club's word is infallible, given how much they've loved to change their minds on this sort of topic.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well that's true I guess and maybe I'm just being a bit negative about it. 

Maybe, but maybe those thinking we're getting a new stadium go too far the other way. And the problem we have is communication from the club is non existent and vague.

So we all make up our own minds and we end up with a range of theories, any of which could end up being true 🤪.

My stance is I'm sure they can't be thinking of leaving it as is during their tenure of owning the club. What they end up doing though, I'm very much on the fence on. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would be very surprised if that's the case. The club have stated it's not something they are considering and have further stated that they never see us leaving Villa Park. 

It's increasingly odd to me that the club backed out of plans to develop a single stand on the basis that they were too ambitious and the fanbase have taken that disappointment to mean not ambitious enough. The reaction borders on the peculiar.

"We're not buying a new Ford Focus this year, the old one is perfectly suitable for the driving we're doing".

"Wait, you mean....we're buying a Ferrari?"

An Aston Martin would be more appropriate. In claret and blue too please none of that red rubbish here thank you very much! 

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Theres nowhere to sit down and eat after the game near the ground is there? Star City the closest walking distance?

Probably the closest for variety but it's a good 35 minute walk as long as you got the weather for it.

Depends what you want, If you're willing to walk another 10 minutes the other way and you got more options with The Hockley Social, Hen & Chickens, Jewellery Quarter etc. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Probably the closest for variety but it's a good 35 minute walk as long as you got the weather for it.

Depends what you want, If you're willing to walk another 10 minutes the other way and you got more options with The Hockley Social, Hen & Chickens, Jewellery Quarter etc. 

That's what I thought, cheers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David-Copenhagen said:

If it does not happen in the near future, then we are left behind. I don't like it, but there are really little alternatives. 

What about the alternative of a massive stadium redevelopment which has been approved twice by the council? And the further plans to get Villa Park over 52,000 in capacity? No?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t help feeling the real reason is no-one will commit to build the new stand at a realistic price in the current economic climate, which has been particularly hard on the construction sector.  Buckingham Group going under removes a potential candidate but the fact that two major stadium developments were a factor in going under must scare the wits out of any other candidates.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I can’t help feeling the real reason is no-one will commit to build the new stand at a realistic price in the current economic climate, which has been particularly hard on the construction sector.  Buckingham Group going under removes a potential candidate but the fact that two major stadium developments were a factor in going under must scare the wits out of any other candidates.

Possibly but prices are hardly going to go down are they? And take this expenditure in perspective given the premier league signed a £6.7 billion tv deal last year. Double the size of what Serie A gets. I know us match day fans are just window dressing, but it would be nice not to use 45 year old facilities for this.

And if that was the case just say it rather than waffle about a 42,000 stadium is perfectly fine thank you very much.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to see Pantera at Scotiabank arena in Toronto the other night. For those not up on North American sports it hosts the Maple Leafs (NHL) and Raptors (NBA) games. Multi purpose arena basically. The food and drinks on offer is insane. And I was thinking about it while I was in line. It's been a while since I've been to a game at Villa but from what I remember it was basically beer and some sort of pie/chips/sausage etc. I had the choice of popcorn, nachos, hotdogs, chocolates, crisps, pizza, poutine, the list goes on. On top of that you have guys walking around with popcorn or beer bags in the stands and you can buy there and then. You can also scan the QR code on seats in certain sections and order food/drinks. It's North America so it's all about convenience of course, and some of these things would never work at a football ground in the UK. BUT the options I had just for a concert, and the few extras you get when you to a NHL or NBA game are crazy. I think from what I've seen, Tottenham's new stadium is more in line with modern day sporting experiences and I think there's a lot we can learn from it. I'm not saying that we'll be rolling the pounds from all of a sudden selling popcorn in the Holte End! But I think in terms of the experience at the stadium we could be doing a hell of a lot more, even without any new North stand or whole new stadium. Obviously a new stand/stadium would allow us to expand these sorts of things a hell of a lot more. But I think it would help with attracting other events at Villa Park to make more money.

I should also say I saw a bag of Doritos for $10 CAD which I think is about 6 quid!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

I went to see Pantera at Scotiabank arena in Toronto the other night. For those not up on North American sports it hosts the Maple Leafs (NHL) and Raptors (NBA) games. Multi purpose arena basically. The food and drinks on offer is insane. And I was thinking about it while I was in line. It's been a while since I've been to a game at Villa but from what I remember it was basically beer and some sort of pie/chips/sausage etc. I had the choice of popcorn, nachos, hotdogs, chocolates, crisps, pizza, poutine, the list goes on. On top of that you have guys walking around with popcorn or beer bags in the stands and you can buy there and then. You can also scan the QR code on seats in certain sections and order food/drinks. It's North America so it's all about convenience of course, and some of these things would never work at a football ground in the UK. BUT the options I had just for a concert, and the few extras you get when you to a NHL or NBA game are crazy. I think from what I've seen, Tottenham's new stadium is more in line with modern day sporting experiences and I think there's a lot we can learn from it. I'm not saying that we'll be rolling the pounds from all of a sudden selling popcorn in the Holte End! But I think in terms of the experience at the stadium we could be doing a hell of a lot more, even without any new North stand or whole new stadium. Obviously a new stand/stadium would allow us to expand these sorts of things a hell of a lot more. But I think it would help with attracting other events at Villa Park to make more money.

I should also say I saw a bag of Doritos for $10 CAD which I think is about 6 quid!

GqeY0g.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, David-Copenhagen said:

If it does not happen in the near future, then we are left behind. I don't like it, but there are really little alternatives. To compete, we need to make money. A new stadium makes more money. And money rules the game. 

And yet there are absolutely no plans to do it at the moment - and at the moment stretches a long time.

The club are currently looking at the stadium bowl and at adding more hospitality and GA+ seats to Villa Park - that'll take at least a couple of years, then there are the Euros - I think any thoughts on proper expansion or a move would be starting in the summer of 2029 - if they started planning a new stadium then, we could be in it by around 2035?

Don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

And yet there are absolutely no plans to do it at the moment - and at the moment stretches a long time.

The club are currently looking at the stadium bowl and at adding more hospitality and GA+ seats to Villa Park - that'll take at least a couple of years, then there are the Euros - I think any thoughts on proper expansion or a move would be starting in the summer of 2029 - if they started planning a new stadium then, we could be in it by around 2035?

Don't hold your breath.

Pathetic. I honestly thought that with these owners it would be happening this time around. 

If they wait til 2029 that would mean an entirely new application, new consultation etc for exactly the same project. 

I am still very surprised they changed their minds so late into the project with no apparent alternative option. I mean they originally thought building a multi-use venue would be a good idea as well as an entirely new stand. And now they come from that to absolutely nothing instead.

A couple of months on I am still saddened and baffled by this decision.

It went through every stage from consultation, to application, to being a  host for the euros, and the mayor pushing for Witton station to be redeveloped.

If they think the North Stand is perfectly fine they should spend a match day in it to see what a 45 year old structure looks like.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â