Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is a massive difference between moaning about facilities and wanting Villa Park gone. 

True and they need to be improved immediately for the normal GA fan, but due to the layout and piecemeal design only so much can be done. There will never be concourses like spurs or citeh at Villa Park. 

27 minutes ago, thabucks said:

True and they need to be improved immediately for the normal GA fan, but due to the layout and piecemeal design only so much can be done. There will never be concourses like spurs or citeh at Villa Park. 

The new North stand absolutely could have them. There's plenty of space to make the stand as deep as we'd like.

The trinity road could also accommodate expansive concourses if it was designed better. It needs knocking down anyway to rid us of the monstrosity that's there now and rebuilt more in line with our old stand 🥲.

So moving would only help us really improve half the stadium.

And for the lack of space in the city to really move anywhere better, I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The trinity road could also accommodate expansive concourses if it was designed better. It needs knocking down anyway to rid us of the monstrosity that's there now and rebuilt more in line with our old stand 🥲.

Without considering the history of the previous stand (I never saw it in person) what exactly is wrong with the current trinity?

It's a modern stand with plenty of space for bars/hospitality etc. It also has good player facilities. 

I rarely sit there, but it's miles ahead in terms of space/facilities compared to the remaining 3 stands.

It will also connect nicely with the new North Stand. 

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Without considering the history of the previous stand (I never saw it in person) what exactly is wrong with the current trinity?

It's a modern stand with plenty of space for bars/hospitality etc. It also has good player facilities. 

I rarely sit there, but it's miles ahead in terms of space/facilities compared to the remaining 3 stands.

It will also connect nicely with the new North Stand. 

It's largely the external appearance to be fair.

And yes the current facilities are better than the other three,  with it being the newest and deepest by some distance. But they're not exactly modern. My point was more about the fact it could accommodate modern expansive concourses which the OP was suggesting we couldn't.

And if, while we were at the internal redesign, we could also give it a facelift I'd be all for it... this was it before:

Now look at it... 😭

spacer.png

And that's when it was new. It's all rusty and faded now :(

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It's largely the external appearance to be fair.

And yes the current facilities are better than the other three,  with it being the newest and deepest by some distance. But they're not exactly modern. My point was more about the fact it could accommodate modern expansive concourses which the OP was suggesting we couldn't.

And if, while we were at the internal redesign, we could also give it a facelift I'd be all for it... this was it before:

Now look at it... 😭

spacer.png

And that's when it was new. It's all rusty and faded now :(

I've always said this, but as football stands go the new Trinity Road is actually really nice, it's just the absolute work of beauty it replaced that makes it seem worse than it is.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I've always said this, but as football stands go the new Trinity Road is actually really nice, it's just the absolute work of beauty it replaced that makes it seem worse than it is.

the cladding panels are shite, they'd have been better off with blanked windows or more brick slips, I'm guessing the darker grey ones are actually louvres so there's not a fat lot the club can do with them

• Like 1

Years ago The General said that you would be suprised at how much they could change the appearance of The Trinity and hinted that plans were afoot.  Obviously much lick everything connected to Randy Lerners ownership that went south PDQ.

Didn't the Trinity have to re-built as there was significant structural issues with it? I read somewhere it was therefore more cost effective to knock it down and rebuild - but just wish Deadly had not allowed the awful modern facade to have been built instead

26 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Didn't the Trinity have to re-built as there was significant structural issues with it? I read somewhere it was therefore more cost effective to knock it down and rebuild - but just wish Deadly had not allowed the awful modern facade to have been built instead

The old version had the same issues our current stands have of not being deep enough to accommodate all the requirements of a modern stadium.

It needed extending outwards (and over the road) so keeping it as was wasn't really an option. But repurposing the bricks or any of the originaly features could have been done if they weren't skimping.

Regarding the Euros, Villa Park will probably get 4 games.

As it's currently planned:
6 games in Ireland, Scotland and Wales (4 group games, 1 Last 16 and 1 Quarter-Final). Wales are hoping that Cardiff will host the opening game.
5 games in Northern Ireland (4 group games, 1 Last 16)
28 games will be held in England around 6 venues. Wembley will have both semi-finals and final.

There is a doubt over Casement Park in Belfast of whether that will ever get built, so it's possible more games could be spread around.

51 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Andy Street confirming on LinkedIn that £100m new stand development and revamp of Witton happening. 

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7117474987938050049/

"Progressing plans" for Witton suggests they want it to happen. I'm not sure it's quite the same as confirmed that it will happen.

Positive news none the less

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the cladding panels are shite, they'd have been better off with blanked windows or more brick slips, I'm guessing the darker grey ones are actually louvres so there's not a fat lot the club can do with them

As part of the planning permission for the North Stand - a big chunk of that wall at the back of the Trinity will be coming down so that the space behind it can be expanded - hopefully when they put it back, they'll give a bit more thought to the quality of the materials.

• Like 1

Â