Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

42 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

The private sector won’t provide options around villa park because there is no stable revenue outside of match day at the current time.

however if villa build a decent entertainment style zone, even if they need to subsidise villa live, then others will come if they see it being a success. You will get independent street food vendors wanting a piece of the action, pop up bars etc. basically villa need to stimulate the area, it won’t happen if we don’t do anything. Spurs did the same around their local area

I’m not from the area so happy to be corrected but every time Ive been to VP a it’s a get in get out job. It isn’t particularly easy to get to and there’s bugger all around so far as I can tell other than housing and some religious buildings. Just doesn’t seem like an area that can actually be renovated in the same way that Spuds was?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If you have the choice of town or aston for some of these offerings most people won't be choosing aston on a non matchday.  

True, but a lot of fans would wanna be nearer the ground and would welcome some sort of drinking establishment. Why should we care if it turns a profit or not? Its about generating a buzz and atmosphere and also helps to stagger departure and arrival times. Apart from the brighton game at home, VP is quite dead before kickoff and it would ne nice to get people there a bit earlier

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I’m not from the area so happy to be corrected but every time Ive been to VP a it’s a get in get out job. It isn’t particularly easy to get to and there’s bugger all around so far as I can tell other than housing and some religious buildings. Just doesn’t seem like an area that can actually be renovated in the same way that Spuds was?

I think its more a "build it and they will come" scenario from my POV, I reckon you would get those early adopters who can make it quite good on a matchday, maybe the podcasters will get there, publicise the locations and then all of a sudden people want to be there pre or post game. I would like to see the club do something as it wouldnt cost too much but would give many of us fans an alternative to Tesco, Witton Arms and the social that is a bit nearer the ground and maybe they can let us in for free and make the money by selling beer and food

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

With no timescale suggests that Villa Live is not even being started within the next 5 years which is essentially cancelling that part of the project. 

Whilst they jack up prices whilst the experience and facilities and area is not even close to other clubs.

They can **** off  honestly.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Have I missed an announcement about this, I thought everything was going ahead next summer? Am I wrong

A brief update from my pov. There was a letter from Villa that was put on twitter by a fan a few pages back (see near top of page 223) on this thread. There have been some alterations to plans, and the Villa life section has been sidelined temporarily and the old stumps building retained in the mean time to be the Villa Life part of the plan in the short term. The Villa shop is to be incorporated into the new design of the North Stand. I think it is all due to start next season.

Edited by NeilS
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

A brief update from my pov. There was a letter from Villa that was put on twitter by a fan a few pages back on this thread. There have been some alterations to plans, and the Villa life section has been sidelined temporarily and the old stumps building retained in the mean time to be the Villa Life part of the plan in the short term. The Villa shop is to be incorporated into the new design of the North Stand. I think it is all due to start next season.

So not a disaster then, reading some of the stuff was like reading Nostradamus again

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

So not a disaster then, reading some of the stuff was like reading Nostradamus again

😂 No not really. I guess it depends on how much value you put into the Villa life aspect of the plans. That part of the plan may well happen in a few years anyway, depending on how things work out in the next few years.

I think people’s angst is caused by being  let down in the past on these plans. We need to remember and repeat to ourselves, NSWE are not Doug, Randy or Dr Tony. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, andycv said:

I am really confused about the reaction here - the stand is still happening - as designed - and Villa Live will be coming along just later.  This isn't a cock up or bad management - it is just finding the best way to deliver the scheme.

We are second-guessing everything as we have not had an official comment from Villa, only a photo of a letter sent to residents. This is a shame given the considerable amount of consultation for the original application. The official line when the application was approved was that construction was going to start this summer- which most of us thought was optimistic. Since then a lot of silence,  vague talk of construction next year dependent on Witton station improvements via our unreliable local rag, then announcements of concerts in June 2024, and now some scaling back of the project.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

With them not doing the Villa Live would that mean they could start building the new stand behind the old one as there would be more room?

Where have you got the idea that they are not building Villa Live? Did you read the letter?

5 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I truly hope NSWE become the best owners in our history but for now that title surely belongs to the first shareholders of the limited company set up in 1896. 😆

Hopefully those fellas followed through with their 1890's Villa Live building so as not to incur the wrath of Rodders0223....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, limpid said:

Where have you got the idea that they are not building Villa Live? Did you read the letter?

i read it more as because they don't do villa live now in theory there is more of a building compound behind the new stand which could lead to them utilising the additional space to build the new stand before they knock down the existing, you can change your sequencing 

and i think the answer would be no, they'd build the skeleton of the new stand before they started villa live anyway so it doesn't change anything at that stage, probably does change a bit later on in the project though, nothing dramatic just more space for the contractor

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i read it more as because they don't do villa live now in theory there is more of a building compound behind the new stand which could lead to them utilising the additional space to build the new stand before they knock down the existing, you can change your sequencing 

and i think the answer would be no, they'd build the skeleton of the new stand before they started villa live anyway so it doesn't change anything at that stage, probably does change a bit later on in the project though, nothing dramatic just more space for the contractor

They have to cut the mound out that the stand is built on (the remnant of the original Witton End). Although they could do that in stages it would cost significantly more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

They are delaying it until after the North Stand is rebuilt aren't they?  I wasn't sure if just doing the stand first meant they'd have room to do what they did at Anfield.  

Edit just seen it covered by @villa4europe

Edited by sharkyvilla

4 hours ago, limpid said:

Well the letter says the Academy building will now be retained...this building clashes with the footprint of the proposed villa live building so it would not be possible to keep this under the current plans. It also says the club shop and new sports bar cafe, which were proposed to be within the new Villa live building, will now be within the North Stand itself. And the club offices and event fan zone, which were proposed to be within the new villa live building, will be moved to the refurbished Academy building. So all the proposed functions of the villa live building have been shifted elsewhere. Seems pretty clear to me that a standalone villa live building has been shelved.  Just remains to be seen what the refurbished academy building will be like. Its a big building that could be made to look quite attractive with some new cladding, so not the worst idea.

If they go down this route I'd be surprised if they ever bother to build a standalone VL building, at least for several years anyway. It's a lot of changes to unpick at a later date at high cost for not much benefit assuming the Academy building refurb is done properly. 

Edited by mikeyjavfc
  • Like 1

I would be surprised if we ever saw Villa Live building being constructed. Why delay it and build it at a later date, it will be even less cost-effective.  We are going back to having a massive windswept gap between the new north stand and the academy building. Maybe they will slap some more of the temporary catering up like they have done around the Trinity instead. Cheaper and demountable. They probably realised outside of match days getting people to Aston will be a big ask.

• Like 1

Â