Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Just now, Galway Lion said:

Or maybe after employing a marketing expert who has a track record of achieving a massive success of branding of a sports franchise, they actually take his advice. Certain people are just perpetually negative towards the club they supposedly support.

But surely there was enough people involved in the process.. both internally and externally.. and at huge cost, that a decision can be made and stuck to? This wasn’t just down to one man.. 

I have a feeling that getting the punch-through tunnel from the new inner city academy to the ground is more critical to our initial build than the station.

It'll be interesting to see what we get when the updated planning app goes in.

10 hours ago, PeterSw said:

I don't see how gigs etc. would affect the build. The stage will be in front of the North Stand so any demolition works wouldn't really be in the way.

Luckily OBE explained it twice in the two pages before you commented

On 27/06/2023 at 19:21, OutByEaster? said:

Pink took almost the entirety of the North Stand as a backstage area, and used the academy building for their crew catering - they also took the entire North Stand car park for their trucks, rigging and vehicles. 

They'll need the space - I don't think we could have concerts and construction at the same time.

On 27/06/2023 at 08:58, OutByEaster? said:

That's a bad sign for development in the immediate - the crew will want the North Stand and the car park and Pinks crew used the old academy building in the North Stand car park too - I think we can pull out any development starting until July 2024 at the earliest.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

No it literally says the Villa Live plans remain unchanged

It's weird, people seem to have totally ignored that line.   It actually says "for us to deliver in the future" 

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's weird, people seem to have totally ignored that line.   It actually says "for us to deliver in the future" 

With no timescale suggests that Villa Live is not even being started within the next 5 years which is essentially cancelling that part of the project. 

I'm increasingly convinced that this is in part at least down to that punch-through tunnel at the end of Station Road - with that tunnel in place, the new academy becomes a connected facility on matchdays and would give the club a large space to use for pre-match gathering and  kids stuff and so on - without the tunnel, they lose the ability to do that, so they might be wanting to keep the old Academy building on Witton Lane in use for longer.

The problem with anything to do with railways is that it takes time, a lot of time, it's not unusual for rail authorities to talk about remodelling a station and then do it fifteen years later, it just seems to be a very slow industry.

That tunnel adds a huge amount of space for the club on matchdays, it increases the footprint of Villa Park substantially, and we have absolutely no control over it getting built whatsoever. It's really frustrating.

49 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

With no timescale suggests that Villa Live is not even being started within the next 5 years which is essentially cancelling that part of the project. 

Well,  they talk about the planning permission in place so that suggests a timescale before that lapses.

29 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Parking whether or not anyone thinks this is a good idea, Villa is currently, in my opinion, being run poorly. You can’t keep coming up with these plans and concepts and then just incrementally scrapping them. Screams of poor planning and people just shooting from the hip. You plan then execute. You don’t plan, advertise the sodding plan and then incrementally scrap everything.

Bit of a shambles tbh

Villa are being run poorly. 🙄 

• Like 3

Villa overall have been run very well since 2018. However, this June has been a bit of a mess and, given the excitement and optimism at the end of the season, it has served to generally deflate things. Hopefully it is just a small blip.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Is it a coincidence that these changes have been announced on the same day the council announces it has a £650 debt and it’s going to mean massive funding cuts? No new station. I doubt we will be a Euros venue now.

That’s merely half a second of Lucas Digne’s salary 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

1- The owners signed it off so must have been happy with the original plan?

4 - Building costs have got to a point where something had to be value engineered out to cut costs, villa live was deemed not worth it

my expectation would be that the owners got in a cost consultant to do a feasibility study which is normally +/- 40% or 50% based on GIFA calculations and basic design intent, they get told its a £250m project, the design team then go up the RIBA stages and the cost consultant goes up the AACE classes and gets them a cost plan which is based on historical data, KPIs and prices indexes which normally +/- 20%, they get told its a £250m building, it gets planning permission and goes out to tender, 3 main contractors return bids telling them its a £300m building....the cost consultant blames the main contractors for taking the piss, the main contractor blames the cost consultant for using adjusted cost data from a leisure centre he built in 2018, they decide to do value engineering where the main contractor takes out the mates who took the architect out to dinner named in the spec and puts in the alternatives proposed by his mates who took him out to dinner, the architect tells the owners the quality has been compromised and they start to look at scope reductions instead....and the easy answer is they take out the £50m building sat to the side of the main objective

the buildings are different but every **** project is the same 

• Thanks 1

I posted in here about 6 weeks ago that I had been told that development plans were looking to be put on hold due to equipment availability, of course things have changed since then with CP moving out and the new guy coming in . It would appear now that there is a disappointing rethink going on 

Think we just need some certainty and stability and has heck has only just come in and seemingly ripping up the previous plan, I don’t think we will see that just yet.

what I would like to see at the moment is some astute signings and hopefully in the long term we can have all the development work that was stated completed.

we do need something as we will be left behind in terms of experience otherwise, you already here how crap the transport is from London based fans when they are waiting at witton station to get back to new street (usually palace, arsenal and West Ham fans who complain the most, no one needs to tell us how bad it is tbh) who have to wait 15-30 mins for a train compared to every 2 mins for them.

London stadium has westfield on its doorstep and loads of food and drink options before the game. I love our current stadium but there aren’t many venues nearby, and when they are there they shut down at the drop of a hat tbh, or close forever. Even if the club have to subsidise it or it is loss making, if we want to be taken seriously it isn’t a good idea to “cost optimise”. Sometimes you need to invest for the long term.

it’s all looking a bit like last summer unfortunately, with early promise before stagnation and then horror as the season began 

The private sector won’t provide options around villa park because there is no stable revenue outside of match day at the current time.

however if villa build a decent entertainment style zone, even if they need to subsidise villa live, then others will come if they see it being a success. You will get independent street food vendors wanting a piece of the action, pop up bars etc. basically villa need to stimulate the area, it won’t happen if we don’t do anything. Spurs did the same around their local area

• Like 2

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

The private sector won’t provide options around villa park because there is no stable revenue outside of match day at the current time.

however if villa build a decent entertainment style zone, even if they need to subsidise villa live, then others will come if they see it being a success. You will get independent street food vendors wanting a piece of the action, pop up bars etc. basically villa need to stimulate the area, it won’t happen if we don’t do anything. Spurs did the same around their local area

"decent entertainment style zone" - Tony Xia? Is that you?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

however if villa build a decent entertainment style zone, even if they need to subsidise villa live, then others will come if they see it being a success. You will get independent street food vendors wanting a piece of the action, pop up bars etc. basically villa need to stimulate the area, it won’t happen if we don’t do anything. Spurs did the same around their local 

If you have the choice of town or aston for some of these offerings most people won't be choosing aston on a non matchday.  

• Like 1

Â