Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Terry, I accept your reasoning, but we were in the ascendency during the first half and by all accounts were very unlucky to be only 0-1 up......we ,according to reports were taking the game to them, so in fact it was only the second half any plan of containment was necessary.....They came at us and I am trying to give them a bit of credit, but we must be able to nullify teams like Bristol City.

I seem to recall a few teams winning the league on one nils and if. I remember correctly during our halcyon days in 81 when we went 1-0 up it was generally game set and match.....such was the ability of the team to contain or nullify.

That by the way, is not ignoring the other issue of not being able to kill teams off by out scoring them.

My point is/ was when you haven't got the goalscoring rocking and rolling the very least is to protect a lead.

But that's the whole point - we are not, nor IMO is it reasonable to expect us to be, a League winning candidate, nor are we of the quality we had in 1981.

The reason there were so many '1-0 to the Arsenals' was because they were a very good side.

Very good sides can hang on often to  a 1-0.  We can't, because we are not a very good side.

And I don't buy this 'teams like Bristol City', train of thought I've seen from quite a few.  The gap in quality between the bottom half of the Premier League and the top half of the Championship is not as much as some think (I know they were a few wins off that last year) There IS a gap, which would affect consistency, and over a whole season that would show, but in any individual game there is no real reason why we should think we 'should' be able to nullify them.

My view is that there is no pattern here peculiar to our team - simply because the team that played today is as different from the one that played last year as I am from Jimmy Krankie.

To me since we have new owner, Manager, and players, it makes more sense to view the game in context of this season only.

Firstly, although it is true we have let teams into the game 3 times there are subtle but important differences.

Against Sheffield we were poor 1st Half, and conceded when on top (and through a fluke).  So actually that (along with Rotherham and Derby) doesn't fit the narrative that we succumb to pressure in Second Halves.  (Yes, the other 2 games, today and Huddersfield, do support the narrative, but that's just 2/5.....and again, although it was Huddersfield on top as distinct from the Sheffield game, the goal was, again, a fluke.)

Secondly, there isn't really a 'we'  - since the team today had 6 different players (counting Amavi) to the one against Sheffield.

(NB ;

As a side issue (I know you haven't said this) TBH I've never understood football fans and pundits use of phrases like 'we should be beating the likes of XYZ "' when talking about how poor their team have done - the person saying it is simultaneously saying their team is rubbish for not doing it, and saying they are good which is why they ought to have done it !)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pilchard said:

I would be very interested in Tony's thoughts on financial fair play in the Championship and whether we will be OK with it.

I'm not sure we seem to be in any danger from this ?

"From the beginning of the 2016/17 season, Championship clubs will have their financial performance continuously monitored over a three season timeframe and will be permitted to lose up to £15m during that period without having to be prescriptive over how that loss will be funded.  In addition, they will be permitted to lose more than £15m, but not more than an aggregate of £39m (compared to an equivalent figure of £105m in the Premier League) but will be subject to additional regulation when doing so.  This will include providing evidence of Secure Owner Funding and Future Financial Information for the two seasons ahead.

A club that moves between the Premier League and Championship will be assessed in accordance with the average allowance that is permitted in the relevant division (for example, a club that had played two seasons in the Championship and one in the Premier League would have a maximum permitted loss of £61m - consisting of one season at £35m and two at £13m)."

34 minutes ago, Godders said:

Hopefully, the rise of social media will mean critical thinking as a subject  will find its way onto the schools curriculum.

I'm certain that fallacious reasoning will end up with an average joe in a lot of trouble sooner rather than later.

Will there be an oral exam in 'fallacious reasoning" ? :blink:

2 hours ago, Deisler123 said:

If RDM gets the players he wants, but fail to get at least 6-7 wins in the next 15 games, the honeymoon time between Xia and RDM will very likely be over.

This would be ironic, since we were briefed that Dr T had overruled the (then) Villa board to champion RDM as manager. 

In my humble view, it would be crazy to ditch RDM over results in the next 15 matches. The malaise in this club runs very deep and a manager needs much longer than that to sort things out.

1 hour ago, Pilchard said:

I would be very interested in Tony's thoughts on financial fair play in the Championship and whether we will be OK with it.

We will post a massive financial loss for this season, that is guaranteed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

But that's the whole point - we are not, nor IMO is it reasonable to expect us to be, a League winning candidate, nor are we of the quality we had in 1981.

The reason there were so many '1-0 to the Arsenals' was because they were a very good side.

Very good sides can hang on often to  a 1-0.  We can't, because we are not a very good side.

And I don't buy this 'teams like Bristol City', train of thought I've seen from quite a few.  The gap in quality between the bottom half of the Premier League and the top half of the Championship is not as much as some think (I know they were a few wins off that last year) There IS a gap, which would affect consistency, and over a whole season that would show, but in any individual game there is no real reason why we should think we 'should' be able to nullify them.

My view is that there is no pattern here peculiar to our team - simply because the team that played today is as different from the one that played last year as I am from Jimmy Krankie.

To me since we have new owner, Manager, and players, it makes more sense to view the game in context of this season only.

Firstly, although it is true we have let teams into the game 3 times there are subtle but important differences.

Against Sheffield we were poor 1st Half, and conceded when on top (and through a fluke).  So actually that (along with Rotherham and Derby) doesn't fit the narrative that we succumb to pressure in Second Halves.  (Yes, the other 2 games, today and Huddersfield, do support the narrative, but that's just 2/5.....and again, although it was Huddersfield on top as distinct from the Sheffield game, the goal was, again, a fluke.)

Secondly, there isn't really a 'we'  - since the team today had 6 different players (counting Amavi) to the one against Sheffield.

(NB ;

As a side issue (I know you haven't said this) TBH I've never understood football fans and pundits use of phrases like 'we should be beating the likes of XYZ "' when talking about how poor their team have done - the person saying it is simultaneously saying their team is rubbish for not doing it, and saying they are good which is why they ought to have done it !)

Terry, I'm not asking the team to contain the likes of who we did in '81......I'm asking them to contain Bristol City,Luton & Sheff Wed.....We should be good enough to do that.....I'm sorry i think we should or maybe I just don't realise how far we have fallen and still falling.

I accept all the changes and maybe I don't quite appreciate the problem that causes.

however ,We as a club have spent c £100 mill gross on players in 12 months.....Is it too much to ask to keep a one goal lead at Ashton Gate? Most of these clubs are punching their weight much better than us at present.

and while I have always said in the past its more about signing the right players as opposed to spending bucket loads, the sums cannot be ignored.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just had a quick look at the tweets posted to Dr Xia. I really hope for his own sake he stops posting so much. Unless we start winning games it's going to get very ugly.  

Yep - he will not be posting then though. Should nip twitter in the bud. 

I remember the last time I played Football Manager a few years ago. I went into the editor and gave Villa tons of cash and bought a lot of great players. Got all the best coaches, spent 5 hours on tactics and training, started the season with 11 new players. Insane enthusiasm - this year Villa were surely playing for CL-places.

First game of the season, my tactics were obviously crap and I lost 1-5 to Sunderland at home. Turned it off, deleted the game and never played it again.

Somehow, I think this is how it's gonna turn out for Xia as well. Says a lot of stupid things, invests in a new team (just like Lerner did mind) and it does not turn out the way he thinks.... Tries some more, gets bored... Disappears, tries to sell the club and we're stuck in a rut.

This year we supposedly got a lot of cash by relegating, the old cushion, and we've spent some cash on new players. Let's see the willingless from this chap next year, and the year after - my prediction is that he is going to be a travesty of an owner and that we will see a lot of embarrassing moments from him on Twitter before he buggers off.

• Like 1

what worries me a little bit is who is signing the players? I dont think Di Matteo has full power at the moment and going by the Jedinak popularity contest I think Xia is actually doing most of the signings

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villarocker said:

Is "Fallacious Reasoning" the same as being "Romantically Nourished"? If so, with all this going on around the club, no wonder the team sucks! 

We shouldn't waste time entertaining phallusies.

• Like 3

Â