Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

I remember when Lerner took over.  The first few months were good.  I remember posting to that effect, that he had done well to stabilise a poor inherited situation, showed attention to the detail of things that mattered to fans but might not show up on a balance sheet, tried to communicate (in Lerner's case via others where Xia is very hands-on).

There are some parallels here.  That's not to say it's all going to go tits-up like under Lerner.  There's no reason why similar starts must end in similar destinations.  Just a small note of caution.  I don't like the model of rich kids buying our clubs, and I think we have to kill it off before it kills the game.  In the meantime, Xia has generally started well.  But he, and other owners, are not the answer.

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

His tweets and the reaction to them 

What these.....

• "No more rumors! Chris and the Socfin helped the takeover and we paid for service. Never was related to Recon!"
  • "Chris never officially on board especially with these rumors we won't make more confusions. Banfill is legal advisor"
  • "I just blocked him again. Wasting my time. If he has one more rumor, we will have legal dept. go for him."

First two are clarification (transparent). The third, you could argue, is a bit strong but equally why should he allow defamation and malicious falsehood - particularly when it can damage the club? 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I asked myself the same thing. I don't have twitter but this is what was tweeted:

"Chris never officially on board especially with these rumors we won't make more confusions. Banfill is legal advisor"

"No more rumors! Chris and the Socfin helped the takeover and we paid for service. Never was related to Recon!"

According to Companies House, Samuleson was appointed director at Recon Sports LTD on 20 July. His appointment was then terminted on 8 August. (https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10176070/filing-history).

As I've said before, I trust the Doc and I don't think there's something fishy about his ownership. But on this point regarding Samuelsons involvment, his tweets are simply not correct. It's unfortunate as it nourishes conspiracy theories.   

4 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

What these.....

• "No more rumors! Chris and the Socfin helped the takeover and we paid for service. Never was related to Recon!"

Wel, yes, that one.

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I asked myself the same thing. I don't have twitter but this is what was tweeted:

"Chris never officially on board especially with these rumors we won't make more confusions. Banfill is legal advisor"

"No more rumors! Chris and the Socfin helped the takeover and we paid for service. Never was related to Recon!"

According to Companies House, Samuleson was appointed director at Recon Sports LTD on 20 July. His appointment was then terminted on 8 August. (https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10176070/filing-history).

As I've said before, I trust the Doc and I don't think there's something fishy about his ownership. But on this point regarding Samuelsons involvment, his tweets are simply not correct. It's unfortunate as it nourishes conspiracy theories.   

Good post. Thank you for taking the effort. I wasn't too sure what the situation was. Thank you.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, peterms said:

Seriously?  You'd find it "comical" to see someone vastly rich use our extremely weighted libel laws used to crush someone who couldn't remotely defend themselves?

Sounds rather like the squire having the footman whipped for insolence.

If Xia wants to use twitter to engage with the supporters and get some cred by doing that, good luck to him, but he needs to understand that it brings with it the possibility of unpleasant exchanges, unfair criticism, and hutful comments.  Block it, blank it, or don't get in there in the first place.  But please don't use vast wealth to crush critics.  That's not the approach I want to see from my club.

I see it slightly differently. Although I haven't followed the exchanges, libel is libel. If you can't substantiate a claim that is potentially damaging, don't make the claim. Mud sticks, whether there is any truth in the matter or not. Why should Tony accept this just because he owns a football club?

If the exchanges are not libelous, then, yes I agree. What I will say is public threats are unnecessary. Especially on Twitter.

• Like 1

We really shouldn't give that guy harassing Tony Xia on Twitter a mention. We've all met people like him, a holes who are desperate for attention so they always have to have the contrasting view, have to be the one to disagree with things that really don't matter. He doesn't matter. Let's not allow idiots like that to have a negative effect on the positive things taking place around the club. 

• Like 2

It's a fair point that we should find ways of discouraging people from making empty and crass, hurtful allegations with no substance.

My point is that the current libel laws are only about enabling rich people to crush poor people.

I think that if we value free speech, as we claim to, then there must be some sort of redress for lies and slander which doesn't  only serve rich people.  And in rhe meantime, until we get a more sensible system, if you're rich and use those corrupt laws to silence critics, then dont expect any sympathy or respect from anyone.

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

It's a fair point that we should find ways of discouraging people from making empty and crass, hurtful allegations with no substance.

My point is that the current libel laws are only about enabling rich people to crush poor people.

I think that if we value free speech, as we claim to, then there must be some sort of redress for lies and slander which doesn't  only serve rich people.  And in rhe meantime, until we get a more sensible system, if you're rich and use those corrupt laws to silence critics, then dont expect any sympathy or respect from anyone.

you may have a valid point, but the book on "rich & poor" could be as long as the one on "war & peace"

my view is we are fortunate enough to have a rich man interested in trying to resurrect our fortunes.....should we be busying ourselves looking for reasons why he shouldn't be doing it.....and criticising the moves he makes.

In this complex world of ours who is whiter than white.....no one.you could raise a case against every wealthy person on the planet.

we need to chill and get back to the business we all love....football.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

you may have a valid point, but the book on "rich & poor" could be as long as the one on "war & peace"

my view is we are fortunate enough to have a rich man interested in trying to resurrect our fortunes.....should we be busying ourselves looking for reasons why he shouldn't be doing it.....and criticising the moves he makes.

In this complex world of ours who is whiter than white.....no one.you could raise a case against every wealthy person on the planet.

we need to chill and get back to the business we all love....football.

Sorry, that doesn't  wash. 

Yes, of course we should concern ourselves with the background, probity, history and morals of anyone who runs the club  That much is demanded even by the demonstrably inadequate "fit and proper persons" test.  We should demand a higher, not lower, standard than this.

And we're not fortunate to have a rich man running the club.  We may be less unfortunate than some other clubs run by some other rich men, if we are lucky.  But I want clubs run by supporters, not rich kids.  Don't you?

50 minutes ago, RaptureJames said:

I can only guess some fans are like people damaged by cheating partners who sabotage all future relationships

Oh. My guess was that some fans had different opinions to others 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Oh. My guess was that some fans had different opinions to others 

I have seen some harshly judging xia - granted we all will have different opinions which of course makes villatalk the joy it is but it is so so early to be painting xia a devil, or saviour! You have said you are reserving judgement until the window is closed which to me is a more sensible time to reflect.

I must admit im just waiting for him to go too far on twitter.

As i just tweeted someone -Tony's tweets are alot like some of our defenders over the years, generally good but he's got a clanger in him!

Edited by RaptureJames
Cracking spelling!
  • Like 4

Â