Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You haven't answered the question though...

OK 

More money for players*

better managerial appointments 

Yes I know FFP - but it has numerous loopholes for example you can breach the amount the debt provided you show a plan to get back to profitability 

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

OK 

More money for players*

better managerial appointments 

Yes I know FFP - but it has numerous loopholes for example you can breach the amount the debt provided you show a plan to get back to profitability 

Fair enough.

Weird requests though. Mainly because he can't spend more money. I thought that had been covered pretty well.
I imagine he's looking at creative ways to spend more, but we've spent an unprecedented amount at Championship level and have probably the best squad in the league, so I'm surprised that people are genuinely complaining that we haven't spent enough! The money spent really isn't the issue.

Which brings me to Bruce. He hasn't worked out (probably), but you'd be hard pushed to argue it wasn't a good appointment at the time. I find it hard to really criticise Xia for that. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough.

Weird requests though. Mainly because he can't spend more money. I thought that had been covered pretty well.
I imagine he's looking at creative ways to spend more, but we've spent an unprecedented amount at Championship level and have probably the best squad in the league, so I'm surprised that people are genuinely complaining that we haven't spent enough! The money spent really isn't the issue.

Which brings me to Bruce. He hasn't worked out (probably), but you'd be hard pushed to argue it wasn't a good appointment at the time. I find it hard to really criticise Xia for that. 

Can't really criticise xia for appointing Bruce but can blame him for RDM . 

13 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Can't really criticise xia for appointing Bruce but can blame him for RDM . 

Sure. But he corrected that. He appointed "football men" to make those kind of decisions for him because he recognised he wasn't qualified to make them.

Again, what more can you ask for there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough.

Weird or not - I was just answering the question. 

IMO he could get get around FFP - and spend more if he wanted - but FFP cuts anyway you want it.

Overall though he seems a reasonable bloke - but not some sort of dream owner to take us back to the big time, by either clever business acumen or massive investment.- just an average owner

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sure. But he corrected that. He appointed "football men" to make those kind of decisions for him because he recognised he wasn't qualified to make them.

Again, what more can you ask for there?

I'm not a critic of xia - I think he seems decent enough and has done a fair job so far - however with Chinese cutting back on investments overseas I wonder how this would affect his future plans regarding villa . 

The next appointment xia makes will tell us a lot more about where we are heading or not . 

6 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Well he has splashed the cash. You can't deny that. From the latest FFP news he has somehow massively saved us from getting a fine. Surely being a championship club over spending by some sponsorship work around would be reckless and silly. Do we really need to spend anymore?

In terms of sponsorship and innovation...

- He's opened Villa training schools in both India and China broadening the club brand

- Arranged for Zeelo a custom-made coach routes for season ticket holders - the first in Birmingham.

- Made Science in Sport our new official nutrition partner. Big in the olympics and Team Sky winning 2017 Tour de France team sponsor.

-  Partnered with Hisense who are now globally on par with most tech brands, and the their first football partner in the UK.

- Our Kits are with Under Armour.

- Unibet are our sponsors that cross many global sports.

For a championship Club, he's spent a fortune, assembled a squad more than capable of winning the league, completed the above deals, reinvigorated the club fan connect and kept us in the black

I don't think there is really much more he can do given where we are.

What more do you want from him?

Spend more money fam. We have only got a squad of about 30 players.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

1.The academy was already there. Its just villa branded (if that) beyond that the link is very weak - I would be very surprised if we hear anything from it ever again 

2.I would disagree he has spent a fortune - we spent heavily last summer - but that has gone straight onto the accounts as debt.

3.What more do I want ? - well he talked about being the 3rd biggest club in the world - Glenn Whelan and Manu 4th choice keeper on loan weren't what I had in mind.

4.The other stuff is nothing we haven't seen before - Randy opened the pub, refurbed the training facilities - its all window dressing mate ! 

Well its our first outside of the uk so they couldn't have been there before.

He's spent enough to get out of this league that can't be argued. I mean what did you think was going to happen? Robiniho and tevez where going to turn up in the championship?? He stated his plans, it was never going to happen instantly.

He's done the opposite to lerner. Lerner thought a nice painting and a lick of paint was enough after the initial spend. The Dr is making meaningful sponsorship deals, trying to keep the club relevant whilst the prem beast speeds further away.

If you were expecting champions league after 12 months then you were never going to rate him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

Well its our first outside of the uk so they couldn't have been there before.

He's spent enough to get out of this league that can't be argued. I mean what did you think was going to happen? Robiniho and tevez where going to turn up in the championship?? He stated his plans, it was never going to happen instantly.

He's done the opposite to lerner. Lerner thought a nice painting and a lick of paint was enough after the initial spend. The Dr is making meaningful sponsorship deals, trying to keep the club relevant whilst the prem beast speeds further away.

If you were expecting champions league after 12 months then you were never going to rate him.

What I meant was the academy existed before villa got involved. It is the link to villa that is new not the academy itself. 

Meaningful sponsor deals ? - how is nike different to under armour, ?

How is the club being kept relevant ? 

Fancy words mate, but little of significance is actually happening.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

What I meant was the academy existed before villa got involved. It is the link to villa that is new not the academy itself. 

Meaningful sponsor deals ? - how is nike different to under armour, ?

How is the club being kept relevant ? 

Fancy words mate, but little of significance is actually happening.

I'd be interested to know who you see as an ideal owner? I'd also be interested in how long that owner is in the role of owner.

You are expecting for Xia to be absolutely flawless in his decision making which in reality will never happen. If he was 5 years in the job and repeating errors then you can be critical but not now.

I think that Xia is the best thing to happen to this football club in the last 5/6 years. Obviously his actions going forward can change that view but for me he's the last person you can blame at this point for where we are.

6 minutes ago, decamoto said:

I'd be interested to know who you see as an ideal owner? I'd also be interested in how long that owner is in the role of owner.

You are expecting for Xia to be absolutely flawless in his decision making which in reality will never happen. If he was 5 years in the job and repeating errors then you can be critical but not now.

I think that Xia is the best thing to happen to this football club in the last 5/6 years. Obviously his actions going forward can change that view but for me he's the last person you can blame at this point for where we are.

Well thats not setting the bar very high !  I don't dislike Xia - far from it - But I don't think he has the money or the where with all to do what he was talking about 12 months ago - Im not convinced he would have the financial clout to keep i

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well thats not setting the bar very high !  I don't dislike Xia - far from it - But I don't think he has the money or the where with all to do what he was talking about 12 months ago - Im not convinced he would have the financial clout to keep i

You must have been a fairly positive person for the last few years if you think he has to do much to raise the bar :D fair enough though as neither of us can predict whether he becomes a Lerner or not..

I'm still interested in your answer to this though:

Just now, decamoto said:

You must have been a fairly positive person for the last few years if you think he has to do much to raise the bar :D fair enough though as neither of us can predict whether he becomes a Lerner or not..

I'm still interested in your answer to this though:

Unfortunately I don't rub shoulders with many billionaires - so I can't answer who I would see as the ideal owner, unless I say something glib like Larry Ellison or Bill Gates.

Not sure of the relevance of it either, unless you are hinting that we already have the best possible owner ?  

On a hunch I don't see Xia being here beyond the next couple of years in any case. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Unfortunately I don't rub shoulders with many billionaires - so I can't answer who I would see as the ideal owner, unless I say something glib like Larry Ellison or Bill Gates.

Not sure of the relevance of it either, unless you are hinting that we already have the best possible owner ?  

On a hunch I don't see Xia being here beyond the next couple of years in any case. 

What current club owner would you like at Villa? I'm just curious as I can't personally think of anyone who fits your idea of what a club owner should be

1 hour ago, decamoto said:

What current club owner would you like at Villa? I'm just curious as I can't personally think of anyone who fits your idea of what a club owner should be

People who run Everton, southampton, liverpool - not that it needs saying but the people who run man city would be nice.  - But I think you knew this already - you'd be whooping with the rest of us if Ambromovich said he was selling Chelsea and buying villa. 

Southampton, City & Liverpool owners are all there a few years - nothing to say Xia wont become similar yet. Everton have done exactly what Xia did in his first year. Threw money at the problem to buy them a bit of time. A bit easier when you've finished 6-8th in the Premiership, have a whopper Sky deal and saleable assets e.g. Lukaku.

The main difference with those clubs was that they were not in as big of a mess when the owners took over as Villa were/still are. Which is why I think your view on Xia is extremely harsh/unfair at this point.

Are people trying to throw little fits about Xia purposely ignoring the many articles both publicly re Chinese government putting restrictions on outgoing cash, and here which all point to why he can't be as flamboyant with cash as he may have hoped, as well as ffp amd the fact we are still in the championship? 

His companies are worth a shit load of money

It's not usually the style of the Chinese to blag their way into peoples hearts if they don't mean what they are saying.

If anything it's usually the opposite, cold realism.

We are lucky to have someone who is both passionate and highly intelligent here.

He will learn about football , and now,  unless something changes it is his advisors who have let him down.

48 minutes ago, hippo said:

People who run Everton, southampton, liverpool - not that it needs saying but the people who run man city would be nice.  - But I think you knew this already - you'd be whooping with the rest of us if Ambromovich said he was selling Chelsea and buying villa. 

The irony is you'd probably be complaining when he ended up spending the same as Xia due to the FFP constraints.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Â