The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Everyone jumping on these quotes from someone only known as Mr Jin from a telephone conversation? Calm down people, let's see what happens. Who is Mr Jin? What makes him more credible than Xia or Hollis?

As has been stated, the Chinese are secretive, there's more to it than meets the eye I'm sure. 

the fact that AVFC official web site changed their statement of Xia. Surely this must mean the FT are right in their accusations. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KSV said:

the fact that AVFC official web site changed their statement of Xia. Surely this must mean the FT are right in their accusations. 

The full article from FT states that they're finalising the other 4 companies as with us I imagine. May explain where the 500 million in their accounts has gone. 

I'm an optimist. Let's see where we go. It certainly makes a change to Lerner and knowing we weren't getting anywhere 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

The full article from FT states that they're finalising the other 4 companies as with us I imagine. May explain where the 500 million in their accounts has gone. 

I'm an optimist. Let's see where we go. It certainly makes a change to Lerner and knowing we weren't getting anywhere 

Lets hope so. Time will tell. 

Theres just so much smoke on this one. 

The real question is where obviously where did he get the £60m (-75m) to pay cash for deal (as reported by Sky Sports.)

a- Recon cash reserves (which we know they don't have)

b- his cash reserves (unlikely but hard to know)

c- private investment from elsewhere (most likely but again impossible to verify?)

d- government investment (unlikely)

I think once we know the answer to this, we'll understand a lot more about the situation

Just now, mwj said:

The real question is where obviously where did he get the £60m (-75m) to pay cash for deal (as reported by Sky Sports.)

a- Recon cash reserves (which we know they don't have)

b- his cash reserves (unlikely but hard to know)

c- private investment from elsewhere (most likely but again impossible to verify?)

d- government investment (unlikely)

I think once we know the answer to this, we'll understand a lot more about the situation

Maybe Mr Lerner should go speak to his bank as his cheque may have bounced... :P

I don't know if Xia is a multi-billionaire and I don't know if he's broke. Lerner entrusted the takeover with Hollis and he seems to know what he's doing and has a good track record in previous business.

The recent stories that have come out about his business(es) don't look great, I'll admit, but if we are to trust Hollis then we have to hope that he's made the right call. Even if he's totally cocked this up we were facing serious trouble with Randy at the helm so even as a worst case scenario this is still better than Lerner.

The fit and proper persons test should prove that Xia is decent enough and if he managed to convince Hollis that he has our best interests at heart then that's good enough for me. Should he fail the test then we will have dodged a bullet. This still doesn't change the fact that he made all the right noises yesterday even if he was being a little overly ambitious!

I for one think he'll pass the test and the proof will certainly be in the next two weeks worth of pudding. Fingers crossed.

Just now, KSV said:

Lets hope so. Time will tell. 

Theres just so much smoke on this one. 

There is indeed a lot of smoke. It seems that we are a pawn in the Chinese Governments aim at dominating football. 

If we benefit from it then great, but to what extent do we sell ourselves? Is it any different the likes of Etihad? If we do become massively successful with Chinese Government backing we sure won't be popular!!

I think its also worth noting that Hollis' job (legally required as Chairman) is to act in the main shareholder (ie. Randy Lerner)'s interest.

If that means £60m cash from a blagger so Randy can exit stage left and go and sit on a beach then perhaps that's what's happened. 

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Just a bit.  FT article also quoted Hollis saying Tony Xia helped to build the Bird’s Nest Olympic stadium. And then quoted a spokesman for Recon (someone called Mr Jin) who today told them that Tony Xia was not involved in the planning or designing of the Bird’s Nest, his expertise is in urban design.” 

Where has Hollis said about the Birds Nest? He never mentioned it yesterday when he was interviewed by the media. 

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

Where has Hollis said about the Birds Nest? He never mentioned it yesterday when he was interviewed by the media. 

It was either in the Brum Mail article or on that Tom Ross podcast. He definitely said it though.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

It's relevant to me. 

I am sorry - how is  China being ' a one-party dictatorship with an apalling human rights record' relevant to you or your beloved club? 

Enlighten me please.