The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

Well after the initial euphoria, I still don't know whether to feel overjoyed, or as though I have been mind-raped.

I was so much looking forward to this weekend. Now I am going to be biting my nails with angst about whether our new owner is a saviour or a poisonous infidel...

I want to believe it will all work out in the end. Shhhhhheeeeeeiiiiit... Please be so.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I think news on the managerial appointment,  which should come next week by the way,  will point to what we need to know about this takeover

How so?

The likeliest candidates are probably Pearson, Rodgers, Di Matteo or even Moyes. Don't see how appointing any of them will tell us much. Maybe if it is Moyes then we could look more positively at things but I doubt very much he'd want to come here.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Methinks we've either been diddled, or Xia is the frontman for state investment.  Surely Hollis and Lerner aren't mugs of that magnitude that they chose him over other parties without proper, kosher information of loadsamoney backing him up.  Surely? 

This. Hence why he can move so easily to Birmingham. He may have been chosen because he has the balls to carry it off, together with a propensity for self promotion, and not being averse to bending or embellishing the truth.

Having said that, the money would still be available.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Hollis works for Randy Lerner, not us.

Bingo. His job as the Chairman is to represent the shareholder's interests.

That's not to say that we're screwed, but there is a not insignificant possibility that this won't work out.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

I think news on the managerial appointment,  which should come next week by the way,  will point to what we need to know about this takeover

Shame Rodgers is off to Celtic.  Has to be RDM surely.  

Just now, Richard said:

I agree I think it will be a big indicator as will who comes in above the manager to run the club day to day and then what happens over the summer in terms of money spent on players.

I think there was always going to be a number of questions/things that don't appear on the face of it to add up when getting an owner from China as things aren't as open in that part of the world it seems and information on individuals/companies as readily available.

I don't think just because Hollis thinks the club faces a fantastic future under this new owner we should feel reassured. The bottom line for Hollis was selling the club and whilst he would I am sure like it to go to safe hands that could bring us success that wasn't his priority.

Only time will tell what we are getting here.

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True, but we had A DOZEN interested parties, he narrowed it down to 6, then 3, surely they could ALL afford us. He said they chose them because of the impressive vision, and what he has done with companies and career. It's not always a conspiracy theory, Randy Lerner is not purposely trying to ruin us ffs. I bet you would find it as hard to find where Roman Abromovich money comes from (Yes Oil), but it's much more sinister than that.

I've not said any of the above aside from what I have said in my post. It seems to have riled you regardless. 

What is clear is that it is unclear if/where the money is coming from. It is also concerning to me that it took an investigation by the FT for them to admit that the information on the OS was incorrect. Surely they would have been afforded the opportunity to proof read this beforehand?

Perhaps not. Either way I don't like being lied to, by anyone. It troubles me.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Maybe you have issues processing the English language but that is hardly willing anything to implode rather just taking a swipe at Hollis' ability to audit a buyer.

I have no such issues, thank you. But your post could easily been seen as someone revelling in the fact that Hollis has incorrectly referred to a great achievement of our new owner. Why you'd want to take a swipe at Hollis, I don't know. He's the one we should be putting our faith in, right now.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think everyone should calm the f*ck down, Hollis pretty much stopped short of admitting that Xia was government backed, it is also documented that Rui Kang is government owned (part of Recon). It is also documented that Xia is personal friends with the president. At worst, they failed to cover up that the fact that this is pretty much a government operation with "front" companies. They are not thick enough to make the extreme grandiose statements they made without being able to push it. BREATHE!

Personally, I'm calm. Though clearly something is amiss and it will likely come out soon, so I'm anxious to a degree about what that may be. 

If it is a government front then let's hear it rather than guess at it. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Personally, I'm calm. Though clearly something is amiss and it will likely come out soon, so I'm anxious to a degree about what that may be. 

That's not going to happen, though, is it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If any part of Recon is a shell corporation we likely won't hear about it. While they are perfectly legal it's just not something that is talked about. My hunch is that the non-existent for show part of Recon is XWHO as everything on that site is concept art, there are no photos of finished projects on there and considering they apparently made shit for the Olympics you'd think they would boast about it. So Recon likely is real but some parts of it maybe not as much as others.

12 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I think we all want to see the club successful under a bright new owner, but we shouldn't set aside our critical faculties just because change is promised. The main communication we have from the club is the official statement, and that itself is vague never mind that it contained incorrect information to start with.

Recon Group is a multinational conglomerate group led by Dr. Tony Jiantong Xia. The group holding company owns, directly and indirectly, the shares of several publicly listed companies on the Hong Kong and Chinese stock exchanges and many other private companies employing 35,000 people in 75 countries.

Plenty has been said about the first part in bold already, so we'll skip to the use of impressive sounding numbers which in reality don't add up to much. Recon group has sod all to do with those numbers, they just own shares in companies that are responsible for them.

This happens again

Recon Group is a multinational conglomerate operating in six core business sectors and has taken advantage of China's economic growth over the last two decades as the Government has carried out a programme of moving 500 million people from rural to urban living

Impressive! But of no relevance to us whatsover. Why is it in the statement?

Recon Group has been at the forefront of this giant urbanisation development and holds an estimated 40% market share of the Digital City business sector.

How has it been at the forefront? What is the 'digital city business sector anyway'?

Lotus Health Group, part of the Health and Agriculture Division, is listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange and is the largest glutamic company in China and the second largest in the world with 12,000 employees, 10,000 distributors in China and 40,000 worldwide in 70 countries.

This sounds good too but how much of this is down to Recon? Looking at their losses, there are questions need to be asked if this is their most impressive asset

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5580405,00.html

I totally agree about the need to scrutinize and the need for more information, but we have to be careful about making assumptions that have no substance. The fact is we do not know if Recon has 'sod all to do with those numbers'. How could you or I possibly know that?  We don't even know how many company's they have in their portfolio - let alone how they manage or work with them. One thing is for sure, if they own large blocks of shares in listed or private companies (which they do by all accounts) they part own those companies.  This means they will have a lot of influence, probably sitting on the boards of many when those blocks are over 20-30%.  But lets say your right and they are primarily equity investors, is that a negative?  Not necessarily. As long as their business works, they have funds to invest, they are not crooks and they want to improve Villa - that is absolutely fine by me. The last thing we want is for them to try and manage Villa. All we want them from them is to have ambition and some funds to back it up.  That is it. I couldn't care less about how Recon works.  I just want to feel sure they have the money and right intentions and I honestly believe Lerner and Hollis would not sell us to them if that want the case.  Others may disagree, that's my stance.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, a m ole said:

#StevoITK is going to have a field day with this one!

I care about as much for his opinion as I guess he cares for mine.

• Like 2