Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

8 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

I agree, selling your best players is not the right way to improve, but I dont think we sold Milner, Young, Benteke, Delph or Downing because of their high wages, we sold them because they wanted to move on and play European football. Also the amount of wages we paid in wages under O'Neill was much too high and unrealistic for a club like us. Which meant we had to clean up, we had soooo much deadwood high earners that did nothing on the pitch and the problem at the club is that we replaced our best players with more high earning deadwood. Aston Villa FC are limited in the amount we are able to spend, whoever our owner is. 

If we paid them high earnings and they delivered high performances it would have been a whole different ball game.

The tragedy is, in the main they haven't.....that has been a huge part of the problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I have so much man-love for Martin :wub:

Since him and Mellberg left.....our standards of centre halves has slipped.

On 4/12/2016 at 12:05, Jareth said:

Oh god. I think that seals it then. Promtotion experience check, same situation as current club only last summer check, made profit in this situation last summer on player sales check, assistant already in place check. Signed sealed delivered. Bruce.

I can see it being Bruce aswell.

I'm just not convinced Moyes won't get better offers in the summer time, Burnley or Brighton will go up automatically so can't see either Hughton or Dyche walking out of prem football when there's no guarentee we'll come straight back up, Warburton will stay with Rangers given they're back in SPL and should get euro football. 

Mick McCarthy has a good record at championship level but I just don't see him being the galvanising exciting option we need, he's been round the block a fair few times now and might be past his best in managerial terms now.

Not sure Hull will go up so Bruce will probably part ways and be available.

3 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

Burst me bubble there Nigel, I was feeling all optimistic for a second or two.....but we should bear in mind that getting back into the prem would be HUGELY lucrative - it is an absolutely massive massive incentive to invest.  It is not like before when we were in the prem and treading water secured a nice income.  The game has changed.  Making funds available now is pretty much the only way Lerner might recover some money, he has to get us back and quick.  We have plenty of business people on our board who know that any business has to invest to grow and increase wealth - it is the same for AVFC. There is risk in investing, of course, but the risk is offset by the potential rewards of promotion, and the appointment of someone like Moyes would make that risk more viable because (IMO) he will probably put the money to good use and get us up.  I really don't think Moyes would come to fanny about the championship, which is another reason I would like to see him get appointed. 

Well, the new TV deal wasn't a surprise was it? If he genuinely understood that the only way to recoup his cash was to be in the premier league then he could have properly backed Lambert, or Sherwood, or Garde. None of this happened. What makes you think he will realise this now when it is harder to acheive and requires more sustained investment to make it work?

I agree that getting Moyes and backing him is one of the best potential solutions. I just don't think that 1. Lerner is going to want to invest and take the risk of not getting promoted having spent a lot of money, seeing as he didn't want to spend in order to ot get us relegated. or 2. That in that situation we will be able to tempt Moyes to come and save us.

• Like 3

Nigel Pearson is the frontrunner to take over as Aston Villa manager and has lined up Chris Powell to be his assistant when he makes a return to the dugout. Villa are still weighing up their options and considering the merits of other names on their shortlist but Pearson is the standout candidate and it is understood that he already has the support of several members of the club’s board.

Powell has a good relationship with Pearson, having played for him during the manager’s first spell in charge at Leicester and also coached at the club during that period. The former Huddersfield Town and Charlton Athletic manager is well respected in the game, knows the Championship and it is believed that he would be receptive to the idea of working with Pearson again.

With Steve Walsh and Craig Shakespeare now working under Claudio Ranieri at Leicester and expected to sign new contracts with the Premier League leaders before the end of the month, there is no prospect of Pearson being reunited with his former backroom staff at Villa or anywhere else next season. With that in mind, Pearson has been forced to explore other avenues and Powell has emerged as a potential No2.

Villa, for the moment, are preaching caution about their search for a successor to Rémi Garde. The decision rests in the hands of Villa’s new football board, comprising of David Bernstein, Sir Mervyn King, Brian Little and Adrian Bevington. Steve Hollis, the chairman, will submit their recommendation to Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, to rubber-stamp the appointment.

David Moyes, Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce are also in the frame but Pearson has the strongest credentials for the post. The 52-year-old, who has been out of work since leaving the King Power Stadium in controversial circumstances last June, proved at Leicester that he is capable of reviving a struggling club and winning promotion to the Premier League. There is also a school of thought that Pearson’s strong personality could be just what Villa need at this time.

Once Villa’s inevitable relegation to the Championship has been confirmed it is likely that an appointment will be made fairly swiftly, although being in the dugout on the day that Villa officially go down is unlikely to appeal to Pearson or anyone else. Villa’s fate could be sealed on Saturday before they play Manchester United, if 17th-placed Norwich pick up a point at home against Sunderland in the early kick-off.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/13/nigel-pearson-aston-villa-manager-favourite-chris-powell

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

If he can repeat how he got leicester playing here that would be exciting.

Not likely

His long-time assistants Steve Walsh and Craig Shakespeare are close to signing new deals at Leicester so were going to end up with a guy without his backroom staff yet again

I'm sure we have been down this road before under Sherwood and Garde.and it worked so well...

This club will never learn 

Pearson was the man to bring in instead of garde. Sargent major to bark non stop at the likes of Nzogbia. "Run you bastards or you're dead in the dressing room!"

However unless we are planning to keep those losers this is going to be a disaster. He'll be out by xmas and have lost the plot by halloween, espectially if like sherwood we don't hit the ground running.

Only Moyes can be trusted to reconstruct the team in a few summer months and be afforded time to gel.

If the board can't temp an out of work Moyes we are going to be stuck in a 6 month cycle of hire, fire, hire, fire forever!!!!!

• Like 1