Ratings and Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

I've actually found a positive to all this. It has been absolutely dire for sometime but it's actually got to the stage where there isn't an ounce of disappointment in the result. 

It's become inevitable that we will endure such toothless dross to the extent where a player on our team busting a gut for a few seconds would be a welcomed surprise. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Manchester%20City%204%200%20Aston%20Vill

SHEESHHHH

That is just...awful. Stats you might expect if City played Torquay under 11s.

• Like 1

A mate who is a die hard Man City fan and went to the game today. He's always liked Villa as he sees them as one of the grand old clubs of English football He's a good lad who was there at City in the pre-money days. His text to me at 5:15pm today, simply was:

"Mate, Villa were dire today :-/ "

I think that sums it up nicely

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

A mate who is a die hard Man City fan and went to the game today. He's always liked Villa as he sees them as one of the grand old clubs of English football He's a good lad who was there at City in the pre-money days. His text to me at 5:15pm today, simply was:

"Mate, Villa were dire today :-/ "

I think that sums it up nicely

Ask him how well City would do if we were rich enough to nick their best midfielder every 2-3 years.....and gave them the likes of Gabby, Sinclair and Richards and Lescott in return.

49 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I've actually found a positive to all this. It has been absolutely dire for sometime but it's actually got to the stage where there isn't an ounce of disappointment in the result. 

It's become inevitable that we will endure such toothless dross to the extent where a player on our team busting a gut for a few seconds would be a welcomed surprise. 

See the Hutton comments.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

They are clearly not playing for him....they can't be this bad.

I think they are. Probably the worst Villa team I've seen. And I've been going for over 50 years. Even the Third Division outfit showed us football better than this lot.

• Like 2

Villa is a sinking ship. Randy might get lucky and sell for what he asks for, or he might cut his losses and sell for less. He can then wash his hands of Villa, and pursue other business interests if he wants. Remi might be sacked, or he might walk. To rebuild his reputation and or self belief, he could manage a Ligue 2 team and try to build something out of it, or he could simply give the game away. The players could leave and play for other clubs, or retire and live comfortably for the rest of their lives. The fans have nowhere to go. If Villa sinks, they go down with the ship.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think they're playing for anyone or anything. I kind of liken it to the cup final in May - if you think back to times when we went into games with an idea that we might win, that there was hope and a feeling of possibility, then the players would be up for that, even if we were underdogs - that was the feeling against Arsenal in the cup - but when we went two down, it was obvious that there was no way back, the third goal wasn't really important, the fourth even less so, it was pretty clear by then that we weren't going to win and the players were pretty much just trotting around the field waiting for it to be over.

This whole season has been like that, we've been 2-0 down in the relegation race since about October and our players have given up on pulling that back, they know there's absolutely no chance whatsoever of a comeback, and that there hasn't been for a couple of months - they're trotting around pitches across the UK waiting for the season to end, they have been for a while and they will be for a while yet.

In fairness, I was thinking about this and to a large extent I'm the same - I wasn't angry about yesterdays result, or even particularly saddened, individual results have stopped hurting over the last few weeks, they really don't matter at all - we'll lose every game between now and the end of the season and it doesn't matter a jot - there was only one game and we lost the battle to stay up a long time ago.

I don't think they are this bad, and I think that when this break in their careers is over and they can go back to being professional footballers, some of them will prove they're better than they are now - because it's hard to judge a team that are seeing out time in a game they're a long way behind in. The result on Saturday, and the result next Saturday doesn't matter to them, it doesn't matter all that much to us either, we're all just waiting for a final whistle to be blown in May so that we can move on to the next game, so that we can hope the winning or losing matches will mean something again.

If you look at Garde, he knows this, I think it took him a few weeks to realise that this team weren't thinking about the miracle comeback, that in December, the most important game in the minds of our players would be in August of 2016. He's an empty character running through the motions at a place where absolutely everyone has given up. They're not playing for him, they're not playing for us, they're not playing for anyone - and indeed there's an argument to say they're right - it doesn't really matter what happens between now and the end of the season, it's over, we're down, we're dead.

In that context, Garde is performing a valuable role; he's the patsy - the reasonable, likeable Frenchman who managed the team when it was dead. He'll be replaced in the summer because what he's doing can't be survived, and that'll be the right decision, not necessarily because of his abilities, but because that's the role of the patsy - to suffer it, then move aside allowing for new hope.

The big question for us, and indeed the one that holds in its hands our reactions to days like yesterday, because there will be more, is what that hope looks like and whether we can believe in it.

62 days until the final whistle.

A very well written piece.....It is one of the most poignant  scripts I have seen on here.

I would be interested to read the points of anyone who disagreed.

OBE  a masterful resume.

It comes to something when you're more annoyed that your bet didn't come in and that your fantasy captain missed a penalty. Just be over already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think they're playing for anyone or anything. I kind of liken it to the cup final in May - if you think back to times when we went into games with an idea that we might win, that there was hope and a feeling of possibility, then the players would be up for that, even if we were underdogs - that was the feeling against Arsenal in the cup - but when we went two down, it was obvious that there was no way back, the third goal wasn't really important, the fourth even less so, it was pretty clear by then that we weren't going to win and the players were pretty much just trotting around the field waiting for it to be over.

This whole season has been like that, we've been 2-0 down in the relegation race since about October and our players have given up on pulling that back, they know there's absolutely no chance whatsoever of a comeback, and that there hasn't been for a couple of months - they're trotting around pitches across the UK waiting for the season to end, they have been for a while and they will be for a while yet.

In fairness, I was thinking about this and to a large extent I'm the same - I wasn't angry about yesterdays result, or even particularly saddened, individual results have stopped hurting over the last few weeks, they really don't matter at all - we'll lose every game between now and the end of the season and it doesn't matter a jot - there was only one game and we lost the battle to stay up a long time ago.

I don't think they are this bad, and I think that when this break in their careers is over and they can go back to being professional footballers, some of them will prove they're better than they are now - because it's hard to judge a team that are seeing out time in a game they're a long way behind in. The result on Saturday, and the result next Saturday doesn't matter to them, it doesn't matter all that much to us either, we're all just waiting for a final whistle to be blown in May so that we can move on to the next game, so that we can hope the winning or losing matches will mean something again.

If you look at Garde, he knows this, I think it took him a few weeks to realise that this team weren't thinking about the miracle comeback, that in December, the most important game in the minds of our players would be in August of 2016. He's an empty character running through the motions at a place where absolutely everyone has given up. They're not playing for him, they're not playing for us, they're not playing for anyone - and indeed there's an argument to say they're right - it doesn't really matter what happens between now and the end of the season, it's over, we're down, we're dead.

In that context, Garde is performing a valuable role; he's the patsy - the reasonable, likeable Frenchman who managed the team when it was dead. He'll be replaced in the summer because what he's doing can't be survived, and that'll be the right decision, not necessarily because of his abilities, but because that's the role of the patsy - to suffer it, then move aside allowing for new hope.

The big question for us, and indeed the one that holds in its hands our reactions to days like yesterday, because there will be more, is what that hope looks like and whether we can believe in it.

62 days until the final whistle.

Hard to argue with much of that.  But I would want to clarify that this group didn't really play for Sherwood or even Lambert really.  There was a stretch when they played to Benteke's strengths.  But I don't think I have seen a Villa player leave it all on the pitch for a long time.  I would also say that without a dramatic change in culture our decline will continue past the championship.  

• Like 2

On 06/03/2016 at 12:00, OutByEaster? said:

They're not playing for him, they're not playing for us, they're not playing for anyone - and indeed there's an argument to say they're right - it doesn't really matter what happens between now and the end of the season, it's over, we're down, we're dead.

Overall the post was good but this part made me :bang:

Fantastic stuff from OBE. Very good point on the 2-0 analogy....I think Everton was a great example of this. Aside from the opening goal on 5 minutes we were showing good spirit, good workrate and had some shots at goal, Westwood had a good attempt tipped around the post, Bacuna had a few shots, Gabby if he could've been arsed could've got on the end of a good Cissokho cross. This was all at 1-0 but as soon as Lennon added the second, nothing.

And again at Stoke and Man. City. If the team showed no effort how come we got to 0-0 at half time on both occasions? However we then ship in 2 quick goals after half time and there is nothing in response.