The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

53 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not worried about it I just don’t understand how you can keep expanding and allowing free movement without controls on it. 

The UK can veto Turkey if it wants (until you leave). Nobody gets in without unanimous consent of the existing member states.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

is it age when labour voters convert to Tory or an amount of money in their bank account  ?

Neither, the main correlation is property ownership. 

The increase in Tory voting age can be tracked along a graph of the increase in age of when people buy their first home.

Why buy into a society which fetishises and rewards the possession of assets if that society also prevents you from obtaining those assets?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not worried about it I just don’t understand how you can keep expanding and allowing free movement without controls on it. 

There are controls, the government just chooses not to bother with them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

f we leave with a deal I'm fairly sure i read that Japan would recognise the UK as part of the EPA  but currently no new deal has been agreed

Even if you believe all the details on the website you quoted (you probably shouldn't), it says:

Discussions with Japan are ongoing and will not be completed before exit day

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the wealthiest 1% still contribute 28% of all UK tax income

No, they don't.

The highest 1% of earners pay about 28% of UK income tax.

Given that income tax is a tax on income, this would also suggest something about the proportion of UK income that the highest 1% of earners receive. ;)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

No, they don't.

Given that income tax is a tax on income, this would also suggest something about the proportion of UK income that the highest 1% of earners receive. ;)

You are correct , I even knew it was income tax as i read it off some website ... and then promptly left the all important word off my post 

• Like 1

No, they don't.

Surely a guy like you must be part of that 1%?

• Haha 1

No, they don't.

I would add to that saying that that wealthy people usually create services and products (contradictory to some belief they do not swim in gold like duck mcscrooge), but they don't like paying tax. No one does.

Any tax they pay is usually passed on to those less wealthy by increase of the costs of those services and products that they (wealthy people) create.

Want to tax the rich more? Well, watch your prices go up.

Wealthy people do not pay tax *like you and me do (edit)

Edited by Mic09

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I would add to that saying that that wealthy people usually create services and products (contradictory to some belief they do not swim in gold like duck mcscrooge), but they don't like paying tax. No one does.

Any tax they pay is usually passed on to those less wealthy by increase of the costs of those services and products that they (wealthy people) create.

Want to tax the rich more? Well, watch your prices go up.

Wealthy people do not pay tax.

That’s not correct. They still pay a lot of tax but nowhere near as much as they are meant to.

That’s because they don’t trust the government.  Wealthy people aren’t stupid or greedy. They contribute a lot more to society than the average person would ever believe.

I know a few lefties and they are always broke,  have no concept of saving, no concept of developing and stuck in a rut which they blame the government for. Yet if I ever had a debate with them I wouldn’t have a chance.  They can certainly talk the talk. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s not correct. They still pay a lot of tax but nowhere near as much as they are meant to.

That’s because they don’t trust the government.  Wealthy people aren’t stupid or greedy. They contribute a lot more to society than the average person would ever believe.

I know a few lefties and they are always broke,  have no concept of saving, no concept of developing and stuck in a rut which they blame the government for. Yet if I ever had a debate with them I wouldn’t have a chance.  They can certainly talk the talk. 

Sorry, I just went on to edit my post!

*Wealthy people don't pay tax like you and me do.

Totally agree with you. Wealthy people are reason why many of us have jobs. Only because of what many lefties might call "greed" are they able to create the products and services many of us hold dear. Don't like rich people? Put that mobile phone down and take those Adidas shoes off.

• Like 1

Â