The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Interesting talk about MPs doing what their constituencies voted for...

The EU referendum vote was not counted by parliamentary constituencies except in Northern Ireland. However, a number of local councils and districts have released the referendum results by electoral ward or constituency. Moreover, several constituency boundaries are coterminous with their local government district. For constituencies elsewhere, Dr Chris Hanretty, a Reader in Politics at the University of East Anglia, estimated through a demographic model the 'Leave' and 'Remain' votes in each constituency.[18] Hanretty urges caution in the interpretation of the data as the estimates have a margin of error.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum_by_constituency

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Awol said:

I’m saying it wouldn’t be off the table in those circumstances, all would hinge on the approach taken by Dublin - in the hypothetical and hopefully unlikely scenario that Republicans choose violence over democratic means. 

Right so No Deal brings violence back to Northern Ireland and the notion of goodwill and mutual cooperation from Ireland is considered "laughable", so when "Don't worry I know this looks harsh but we've done it in Iraq we promise it will be fine" campaign in Belfast forces the IRA to move operations south of the border... the British Army send in the Parachute Regiment to invade Ireland.

I mean at some point we would have talk about how this would affect the whole trade agreement negotiation thing, but Awol this stuff is simply amazing. I predict the American market in particular would eat it up. Have you pitched it to any producers yet?

• Like 1

Fairly long piece by Oborne about why Brexiters like himself should rethink.

It’s nearly three years since I, along with 17. 4 million other Britons, voted for Brexit. Today I have to admit that the Brexit project has gone sour.

Brexit has paralysed the system. It has turned Britain into a laughing stock. And it is certain to make us poorer and to lead to lower incomes and lost jobs.

We Brexiteers would be wise to acknowledge all this. It’s past time we did. We need to acknowledge, too, that that we will never be forgiven if and when Brexit goes wrong. Future generations will look back at what we did and damn us.

So I argue, as a Brexiteer, that we need to take a long deep breath. We need to swallow our pride, and think again. Maybe it means rethinking the Brexit decision altogether...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Tories are a Leave party led by a Remainer and Labour is a Remain party led by a leaver. Is it any wonder things are buggered? 

I usually agree with you Mike but this is too simplistic.

Theresa May is a political Remainer - she aligned herself where she did to be as politically safe as possible. She is a typical Little Englander.

Corbyn is probably an ideological Leaver but politically a Remainer.

Apparently, after the talks last week, the talks over the weekend and the talks earlier today, Labour and the government will be meeting for more talks this evening.

I imagine it's rather like the old Not the Nine O'Clock News union negotiations sketch in there.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Apparently, after the talks last week, the talks over the weekend and the talks earlier today, Labour and the government will be meeting for more talks this evening.

I imagine it's rather like the old Not the Nine O'Clock News union negotiations sketch in there.

As an aside, I watched that again a few months ago - it's very hard to see it getting past a BBC commissioning editor now. 

The bit about the sex with the boss's wife being part of the negotiations would probably be removed. 

The bit about the boss's 12 year old daughter to replace his wife "to be phased in by 1996" would probably cause the whole programme to be cancelled.

And having Chris Langham starring in it gives the whole thing a pretty uncomfortable edge, with 21st Century hindsight. 

A quick scout of YouTube suggests that it's now been purged from history. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

An indicative non-binding VONC is fantastically silly

I wish one equally could describe MF as being 'fantastically silly' but, in reality, he's nothing more than a dangerously stupid, wilfully ignorant word removed.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

An indicative non-binding VONC is fantastically silly

But...indicative non-binding votes have gone so well in the past.

oh.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I wish one equally could describe MF as being 'fantastically silly' but, in reality, he's nothing more than a dangerously stupid, wilfully ignorant word removed.

He was bullied at school and spent the majority of his school days smoking and hiding in the chip shop

52 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

As an aside, I watched that again a few months ago - it's very hard to see it getting past a BBC commissioning editor now. 

The bit about the sex with the boss's wife being part of the negotiations would probably be removed. 

The bit about the boss's 12 year old daughter to replace his wife "to be phased in by 1996" would probably cause the whole programme to be cancelled.

And having Chris Langham starring in it gives the whole thing a pretty uncomfortable edge, with 21st Century hindsight. 

A quick scout of YouTube suggests that it's now been purged from history. 

I'd say that about half of their sketches wouldn't make it past an editor.

I didn't remember it was Langham until I read that earlier on (in trying to search for a video - purged, as you say).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

So Tory MPs can vote again but the public can't? 🤔

As he stated himself- things have now changed. And Tory MPs might now vote differently, now they know things they they didn't know before.

Â