The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Never more have I felt like saying oh **** off on a VT thread than this. But I won't, so I didn't. 

But you did say poo in a foreign language, so I kinda got your point anyway. 

This gaff is a coven of Remainer harlots and always has been. That’s why it’s occasionally fun to check back in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I’m saying she is the manipulator. 

In the Brexit mess? :D

1 hour ago, Awol said:

... ably assisted by the civil service. 

Witholding the magic lamp eh?

Your escape route takes us through waters where sharks await.

You've been played like a ukelele. Or work for SPECTRE? Still not quite sure?

proxy.duckduckgo-2.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Do you want to put that on the side of a bus? 

not sure where you're going but, as i see you are in Stafford please allow me to remind you of how Stafford voted.....

Remain: 34,098 -46%

Leave: 43,386 - 56%

Electorate: 99,612

Verified Ballot Papers: 77,527

Turnout: 77.9%

Ballot Papers Counted : 77,527

Valid Votes: 77,484

Rejected Ballots: 43

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/elections-and-referendums/past-elections-and-referendums/eu-referendum/electorate-and-count-information

17 minutes ago, imavillan said:

However, Anna Soubry is a one woman crusade who's constituency of Broxtowe voted 55 to 45 to leave and she is trying her hardest not to do what her constituents voted for. (as are many other MP's)

I’m really not sure why you think the Jacob Rees-Mogg line from a few months ago is even an argument. Lord Snooty forgot to check how his own constituency voted in the non binding simpleton question the government asked nearly three years ago. Liam Fox is another.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I kind of get Chuka doing one from Labour as Lambeth voted to remain....so he has a certain amount of legitimacy in spouting out for remain.

However, Anna Soubry is a one woman crusade who's constituency of Broxtowe voted 55 to 45 to leave and she is trying her hardest not to do what her constituents voted for. (as are many other MP's)

What i think is wrong is that for any defector (of any party) can just changes ship and course in mid flight.

The vast, vast majority of voters vote for the party and the policies, not the individual. Therefore in my book, for anyone who defects, there should be a bye election.

Simplistically, It just seems wrong to me that i can vote for somebody/a party who says xxxxx and thats what i agree with then changes to yyyyyy.....thats not what i voted for !!!!!

Any way, the upshot is, and regardless of your stance in this, the MP's from all parties have not followed on from 1, the referendum result and 2, what they voted for themselves in triggering article 50 by 498 votes to 114

This is a whole load of nonsense.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, imavillan said:

The vast, vast majority of voters vote for the party and the policies, not the individual. Therefore in my book, for anyone who defects, there should be a bye election. 

Well, yes.

People who argue against this quote the narrow legalistic position that people elect an individual, not a party.  All electoral observations tell us the opposite.  With the exception of a tiny number of exceptional cases, votes are mostly cast for parties, not individuals.

It's so well understood that it's odd to have to state it.

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I’m really not sure why you think the Jacob Rees-Mogg line from a few months ago is even an argument. Lord Snooty forgot to check how his own constituency voted in the non binding simpleton question the government asked nearly three years ago. Liam Fox is another.

i never mentioned JRM or LM as the comments/posts were about Chuka and Anna, thats what i was responding to.

you have no comment on what i posted ref those two?

10 minutes ago, imavillan said:

not sure where you're going but, as i see you are in Stafford please allow me to remind you of how Stafford voted.....

and my area voted remain and consistently reminds it's MP that it voted remain

yet he obeys his Westminster mistress as a leaver that does not entertain a second referendum

so, y'know, ying n yang

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

i never mentioned JRM or LM as the comments/posts were about Chuka and Anna, thats what i was responding to.

you have no comment on what i posted ref those two?

If you don't see the relationship between what I posted and your comment, I can't help you

9 minutes ago, peterms said:

Well, yes.

People who argue against this quote the narrow legalistic position that people elect an individual, not a party.  All electoral observations tell us the opposite.  With the exception of a tiny number of exceptional cases, votes are mostly cast for parties, not individuals.

It's so well understood that it's odd to have to state it.

i stated it because i wanted to highlight again how wrong it is for these MP's in the glass bubble they live in to do what they want and not what the electorate want....

the law needs to change on this....you would not get so many defectors then.

the easy thing in this situation is to jump ship instead of staying and fighting inside....

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

If you don't see the relationship between what I posted and your comment, I can't help you

i don't need any help....thanks for the offer though, its appreciated.

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

i stated it because i wanted to highlight again how wrong it is for these MP's in the glass bubble they live in to do what they want and not what the electorate want....

the easy thing in this situation is to jump ship instead of staying and fighting inside....

The law needs to dictate how MP's vote?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

and my area voted remain and consistently reminds it's MP that it voted remain

yet he obeys his Westminster mistress as a leaver that does not entertain a second referendum

so, y'know, ying n yang

but it's not is it...

it's about accepting the majority.

so your area voted labour but conservative won or vice versa.....

it maybe not what you voted for......but you accept it and get on with live

or in the case of brexit....maybe not

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The law needs to dictate how MP's vote?

no.....not at all

what i am saying is if an MP defects there should be a bye election.....

Just now, imavillan said:

Fighting inside what?

The whole mess parliament is currently in, is because there’s a whole bunch of MPs following the whip, after being lead by a pair of imbeciles to positions of impossibility

if you honestly think leaving an established party to form a new one is the easy option then you understand very little about UK politics

12 minutes ago, imavillan said:

really......makes sense to me....

please tell me what exactly you do not get?

It's not a case of 'not getting it'. I get what you wanted to say. It was a whole lot of nonsense, though.

MPs are representatives not delegates. They are there to represent what they deem to be the best interests of all their constiuents (that's not just those who voted for them or those that voted but everyone who is in that constituency).

Whilst manifestos give a flavour (hopefully) of what a particular party are intending to pursue, they can only be held to that manifesto by means of the ballot box.

Leaving a party does not delegitimise an MP however much people may regard themselves as actually voting for a party and not a person.

The argument that would be made (probably with more legitimacy than cases where people cross the floor from Labour to Tory or vice versa) in the case of those who have left the Tories and Labour in recent times (and those that are threatening to do it) is not that they have changed their position but that the parties whose whip they have been taking have changed their positions.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â