The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I have a question,  the tariffs gradually fade away in the below EU-JAP information.

Currently as they are they create some revenue for the EU for example.  What replaces this money in the EU P&L so to speak in 2027.  Someone somewhere is getting less money ?

Well, I think it's complicated. The tarriffs are currently levies in order, essentially to dissaude consumers from purchasing the items (because they are more expensive than EU alternatives) The revenue from the tarriffs will be lost. But the increase in sales due to removal of tarriffs will lead to increased revenue from VAT/sales tax etc. for individual nations. Further the equivalent removal of tarrifs going the other way, means more sales of goods to Japan, which means more profit (thus tax) and wages (thus tax) for companies and workers in the EU. The loss of tarriff  revenue (which isn't massive) is compenstaed for by more trade and thus more revenue.

Whether that's good or bad is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Japan has done QE to infinity and depreciated the hell out of their currency, hence the export competitiveness. Yay, for keyboard money for the well connected. It's in your future kids.

So, the workers in Japan's factories, making things for export have benefitted, right? All those car workers, electronics workers, cooks & cleaners? Bloody elites!

LBC this afternoon. 

I caught the last 15 minutes of Shelagh Fogarty whilst waiting for Johnny Vaughn to start on Radio X at 4pm. 

A bloke rings in and suggests the way to solve the Irish boarder issue, is to call a referendum in Ireland. 

Shelagh points out that the last opinion poll showed 91% were in favour of staying in the EU. 

His response to that was to say "well that's not what the Irish people I talk to say" and proceeds to argue that it would solve the issue as they would vote to leave. 

She manages to get this one off the phone, then some bloke called 'Mike from York' calls in, tells her the poll is wrong (he doesn't even know what poll it was), goes into some absolute nonsense about the Irish breaking the GF agreement, tells the presenter she's wrong about us having to pay the EU when we leave and demands a WTO Brexit. 

I'm now walking around York with a Cosh, hoping a Mike approaches me.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

A bloke rings in and suggests the way to solve the Irish boarder issue, is to call a referendum in Ireland. 

Shelagh points out that the last opinion poll showed 91% were in favour of staying in the EU. 

His response to that was to say "well that's not what the Irish people I talk to say" and proceeds to argue that it would solve the issue as they would vote to leave. 

She manages to get this one off the phone, then some bloke called 'Mike from York' calls in, tells her the poll is wrong (he doesn't even know what poll it was), goes into some absolute nonsense about the Irish breaking the GF agreement, tells the presenter she's wrong about us having to pay the EU when we leave and demands a WTO Brexit. 

Roll on that second referendum.

48 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

LBC this afternoon. 

I caught the last 15 minutes of Shelagh Fogarty whilst waiting for Johnny Vaughn to start on Radio X at 4pm. 

I'm now walking around York with a Cosh, hoping a Mike approaches me.

See this more and more. People really think that Ireland would want to leave the EU with Britain :D 

It's utter utter nonsense.

I've just spent a weekend in Ireland, as I do very regularly, and I can tell you they all think we're barking mad for leaving.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Roll on that second referendum.

Yeah, it's crossed my mind as well. 

I keep thinking 'surely 2 1/2 years of this has shown any reasonable person this isn't the way to go' then I read Twitter or listen to a radio phone in and yep, they actually walk amongst us. 

We won't get another ref this side of Brexit now anyway. 

Admittedly there are 'rebels', but in round numbers, 580 of the 650 seats in parliament are held by pro brexit parties.

What possible route is there to a second referendum?

If you voted Labour, you voted for them to do this.

If you voted tory, you voted for them to do this.

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

LBC this afternoon. 

You lost me there ;)

1 hour ago, blandy said:

So, the workers in Japan's factories, making things for export have benefitted, right? All those car workers, electronics workers, cooks & cleaners? Bloody elites!

Workers in the factories.... ahhh, so 18th century of you. Lord Mogg doth approve. 

55 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Admittedly there are 'rebels', but in round numbers, 580 of the 650 seats in parliament are held by pro brexit parties.

What possible route is there to a second referendum?

If you voted Labour, you voted for them to do this.

If you voted tory, you voted for them to do this.

I'll tell you who I'd like to vote for right now. 

Thanos. 

Not random though, I've got some ideas on criteria.  

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

meanwhile estimates are the Irish will have to pay around 9% more for their fish  , another reason for them to consider becoming part of the uk :P

I am sick of you telling Irish people what to do. Know your plaice, Tony.

Â