The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Yes. The video evidence has been posted over and over in this thread but is flatly ignored by those who don't want to admit it.

Oh, I remember Boris saying it's entirely possible to remain in the single market, so maybe we'll put it down to mixed messaging. 

(i genuinely haven't seen that video)

Edited by PieFacE

Ending what is supposedly going to be your final open speech about a negotiation before those negotiations start with a threat is surely a good precedent to set.

Lovely to see our PM effectively announce our plan is to have everything good and nothing bad, or nothing at all.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

On a side note, the pound is holding up...

Exception that makes the rule and/or the market is desperately holding onto the idea Parliament will do something useful to muzzle the witch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Lovely to see our PM effectively announce our plan is to have everything good and nothing bad

She did finally confirm we will leave the single market, so I'm not sure that this is quite right.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

She did finally confirm we will leave the single market, so I'm not sure that this is quite right.

I read the speech as effectively saying give us a deal that has the benefits of the single market without what we view as the bad. She's said we'll leave but she still wants the benefits IMO.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I read the speech as effectively saying give us a deal that has the benefits of the single market without what we view as the bad. She's said we'll leave but she still wants the benefits IMO.

What's that old adage that May has been banging on about? Having our cake and eating it too.

From that speech, it's like that's what she fully expects and she's deluded IMO.

Edited by StefanAVFC

She's immediately undermined any suggestion that Parliament gets a vote on the deal as a good thing by following out with the 'no deal is better than a bad deal' rhetoric. Parliament will be given a deal to agree to or bin the whole thing.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

From that speech, it's like that's what she fully expects and she's deluded IMO.

She must know something or she wouldn't stick her neck and career on the line in such a manner.  It's just not logical to do so or as you say,  she is "Deluded".

22 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Ending what is supposedly going to be your final open speech about a negotiation before those negotiations start with a threat is surely a good precedent to set.

Lovely to see our PM effectively announce our plan is to have everything good and nothing bad, or nothing at all.

Have cake, eat it.

Hardly news.

55 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

What's that old adage that May has been banging on about? Having our cake and eating it too.

I'm in a meeting so can't browse the internet fully at the moment so can you link to direct quotes where she has said this  ?

I saw a photo of a notepad belong to some junior person and I'm aware that Corbyn has said May wanted her cake and eat it  , But I don't recall May actually saying it  ?.... as she is banging on about it , it shouldn't be that difficult to find though ..thanks

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Yes. The video evidence has been posted over and over in this thread but is flatly ignored by those who don't want to admit it.

Horse-manure.

Trade with the EU will not be harmed. “Our trade will almost certainly continue with the EU on similar to current circumstances…The reality is that the hard-headed, pragmatic businessmen on the continent will do everything to ensure that trade with Britain continues uninterrupted.” David Davis, speech, 26 May 2016

“The EU’s supporters say ‘we must have access to the Single Market’. Britain will have access to the Single Market after we vote leave”. Vote Leave, What Happens When We Vote Leave?

there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market”, Boris Johnson, The Telegraph, 26 June 2016

"It should be win-win for us and it will be if we vote to leave and we can maintain free trade, stop sending money and also have control of our borders", Michael Gove, BBC, 8 May 2016

“The idea that our trade will suffer…is silly”, Vote Leave, What Happens When We Vote Leave

The leave side consistently was mendacious in terms of the single market. Cake and eat is basically was the message.

edit - it was also the strategy outlined on some notes photographed as one of the PM's advisers left Downing street after a Brexit strategy meeting

The government has distanced itself from a page of Brexit notes caught on camera in Westminster.

The handwritten notes, carried by an aide to Conservative MP Mark Field, included "what's the model? Have your cake and eat it" and "unlikely" in reference to the EU single market.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

So the Brexit deal will go to parliament to vote on, and if they vote "no" to it?

They won't. The fear of being labelled enemies of the people and losing their seat is too much, regardless of whether the deal is objectionably horrible for the people.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

They won't. The fear of being labelled enemies of the people and losing their seat is too much, regardless of whether the deal is objectionably horrible for the people.

Okay, but hypothetically... 

Â