The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

And now, the rejoin enthusiasts are doing the same thing - "rejoin immediately and it'll be great"  - that the Brexity people did. Promises of pie in the sky.

Not quite pie in the sky, we know what being a member of the EU will be like. There are details about membership costs, rebates, subsidies and alike to discuss and negotiate but the FoM, Free Trade, paperless transactions, sharing of data etc are the main reasons to be a member, and very well understood.

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

FoM, Free Trade, paperless transactions, sharing of data etc are the main reasons to be a member, and very well understood.

They're not. Not by the public. Not even by a number of MPs.

But regardless, there's a housing crisis, for example. it is likely that FoM will see more EU people coming to the UK again, which is obviously good for job vacancies, but bad for housing problems, when added on top of the refugees from Ukraine, Hong Kong, Afghanistan and elesewhere - it's not simple like "we need EU workers to do stuff, so let 'em come" because there's a downside too - that's what I mean about changing the government, so that (hopefully) a more grown up and joined up approach is taken to house building, to asylum seekers, to employment law and all the rest is put in place.

The paperless stuff and smoother flow of goods, totally agree there. And Northern Ireland and other benefits, but there will also be downsides if/when we rejoin, and to kind of gloss over them would be a mistake. If people don't understand (and I think they don't) then they need informing, before the decision making can start again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Hi all, I am curious as to how the mood is on Brexit? Are Brexit supporters that you know slowly accepting that it is a mess and a failure? When will the British political parties start to reflect this shift if it is happening? 

7 years on, I still can't believe it actually happened and the UK caused so much friction with its neighbours for so little gain (putting it very mildly). Honestly, successive UK govts (until Sunak) could not have handled the diplomacy of Brexit any worse.

For those who really wanted to leave- this isn't brexity enough and is the ultimate betrayal by the  pinko deep state blob.

For remainers it is going exactly as expected, everything being less convenient and ultimately costing everyone's quality of life.

For the rest of people- look it isn't in the news let's make the best of it but deep down we ballsed this up entirely by ourselves didn't we.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

One argument for Brexit was the Global Britain brand, in all its rocket polisher glory focusing on the whole world rather than Europe. Beat ‘em at their own game they said. Get the best of the best they said.

Meanwhile, in the real world…

My American Green Card cost about $7k all in. I think the equivalent cost for Irish visas is about €800. Now the UK are making it £20,000. The Tories are intentionally making it very, very difficult for normal high-skilled people to move to the UK.

Let’s call a spade a spade. Brexit has always been about making Britain white again.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Enda said:

One argument for Brexit was the Global Britain brand, in all its rocket polisher glory focusing on the whole world rather than Europe. Beat ‘em at their own game they said. Get the best of the best they said.

Meanwhile, in the real world…

My American Green Card cost about $7k all in. I think the equivalent cost for Irish visas is about €800. Now the UK are making it £20,000. The Tories are intentionally making it very, very difficult for normal high-skilled people to move to the UK.

Let’s call a spade a spade. Brexit has always been about making Britain white again.

Sorry but I've been on the appropriate training and a spade is in fact a Manual loose materials and earth relocation facilitation implement. The MLMERFI as it is often abbreviated to.

On 14/07/2023 at 16:51, The Fun Factory said:

For those who really wanted to leave- this isn't brexity enough and is the ultimate betrayal by the  pinko deep state blob.

For remainers it is going exactly as expected, everything being less convenient and ultimately costing everyone's quality of life.

For the rest of people- look it isn't in the news let's make the best of it but deep down we ballsed this up entirely by ourselves didn't we.

Thank you for the response,  much appreciated. The same goes for all those who came back to me, cheers.

Here in Ireland we think it is extraordinary that, from what we can see, the British Labour Party seems to be skirting around the issue. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Thank you for the response,  much appreciated. The same goes for all those who came back to me, cheers.

Here in Ireland we think it is extraordinary that, from what we can see, the British Labour Party seems to be skirting around the issue. 

The Labour Party has decided the best way to get into power is be the Tory Party but more efficient and less corrupt and ruthlessly purging everything vaguely left. Hence they're not touching Brexit as anything more as opportunity that hasn't been exploited properly.

This is hilarious 

The Mail’s chief revenue officer has said Brexit was bad for advertising – even though the brand has been one of the most vociferous backers of quitting the EU.

Dominic Williams, a senior figure at Mail Metro Media, which also includes The Mail on Sunday and Metro newspapers, said leaving the EU was “definitely having an effect on advertising spend, because of the UK economy”.

At the moment, it’s tough out there,” he told The Media Leader website. “Really tough.”

Admitting his conclusion was ironic given the Mail’s stance, he added: “We’ve had quite a tough time in the world. In the UK, we had Brexit, and then we had the pandemic, and then we had Ukraine and cost-of-living.

“I mean, there are four big things there. And it has affected advertising budgets. Not just us, everyone.”

Indie

On 13/07/2023 at 10:38, Seat68 said:

It's not impacted him though, and being a hardcore Tory it's just him and his family that he cares about, not a stranger and having empathy for them. He is a salesman and that's been good to him. He is also a private landlord that was and is reliant on young professionals, brexit hasn't impacted that. 

And he's your friend? 

He wouldn't be one of mine. 

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And he's your friend? 

He wouldn't be one of mine. 

I know, I know. We literally have nothing in common, we laugh at the fact we are such opposites. 

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I know, I know. We literally have nothing in common, we laugh at the fact we are such opposites. 

The nearest I get to that are one or two blokes that I knew at school, but now only see very occasionally. If we stay off politics, we can just about get away with it for an hour or two. And I had some Toryish work colleagues who I could have some reasonable banter with in the office. 

But actual friends, no, it just wouldn't happen. Call me an intolerant leftie and I'd have to admit it - because, deep down, I just despise people like the one you describe. No amount of mitigating factors could alter that. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

How many times do these people have to be told that is now how Europe works? 

Our politicians still think we’re so special that normal rules do not apply. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Â