The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

They can stand in one part of the country and herald the access to both markets as some kind of triumph while pretending that being out of it is brilliant for the rest of us, and they either think we're stupid enough to not see through it, or they just don't care that we do

What about all of the horrific parts of the EU access that means we're better off out? Like....Sovereignty?

One thing's for sure, if anyone in NI is worried about their lack of sovereignty, it ain't because of Brussels.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Genie said:

This is a bit of a climb down isn’t it? 

Make the thing we said would be incredible “work”

Pretty much everything listed here as a benefit is something that we had before Brexit. The rejoin campaign would list most of this stuff (all of it really, apart from the EU law bit, which is a spurious claim anyway) and countless others benefits. They have still not even got close to what they promised Brexit would be and they can still go out in public championing it?

How does any politician that still supports Brexit have any credibility at all? It exists today as it always was, fantasy based on lies, to continue to pretend it is a benefit is to actively hurt this country and the people within.

I feel so gaslit today it's unreal. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Pretty much everything listed here as a benefit is something that we had before Brexit. The rejoin campaign would list most of this stuff (all of it really, apart from the EU law bit, which is a spurious claim anyway) and countless others benefits. 

Is there a rejoin campaign? 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is there a rejoin campaign? 

Yes, I'm in it. The libs have rejoining the single market as part of their manifesto, so that's another six or seven people. Sadly I don't trust them though so we are splitting the rejoin vote. 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Pretty much everything listed here as a benefit is something that we had before Brexit. The rejoin campaign would list most of this stuff (all of it really, apart from the EU law bit, which is a spurious claim anyway) and countless others benefits. They have still not even got close to what they promised Brexit would be and they can still go out in public championing it?

How does any politician that still supports Brexit have any credibility at all? It exists today as it always was, fantasy based on lies, to continue to pretend it is a benefit is to actively hurt this country and the people within.

I feel so gaslit today it's unreal. 

My interpretation of the new slogan “Make Brexit Work” is that they want to shift the perception away from the fact it was their idea to making the most of being dealt a shitty hand by the EU.

We have to make the war in Ukraine work

We had to make the pandemic work

We shouldn’t have had to make leaving the EU work as it was entirely self inflicted.

I am currently working on a massively high profile software implementation that is replacing an absolute shit show, but the same mistakes are being made, with even worse mistakes being thrown in too, a plan of complete ridiculousness and corner cutting has been delivered and attached to it was lets make this plan work. So if something is complete shit, but the stakeholders are unwilling to make changes, its always lets make this plan work. At least bananas will be bendy. 

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Yes, I'm in it. The libs have rejoining the single market as part of their manifesto, so that's another six or seven people. Sadly I don't trust them though so we are splitting the rejoin vote. 

I had no idea, and I'm pro re-joining.

They need a high profile, driven individual to spearhead it.  Say what you like about Farage but he was in your face, in the media and relentlessly driving his messages forward.  I don't see any similar kind of figure for re-join and remain didn't have any one leader either.

Sadly the masses of this country won't do anything without a charismatic figure with catchy slogans to follow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Non other than the Mail Online

Ministers 'turn to migrant workers to boost the economy': Bricklayers, roofers, plasterers and carpenters 'will be added to the government's shortage occupation list' due to shortages in construction industry

Britain is planning to relax rules on foreign workers to allow more into the country to address the UK's chronic labour shortages.

At the same time ministers talk tough on illegal immigration, a swathe of occupations will be added to the 'shortage occupation list' which eases recruitment abroad.

The construction sector is due to be the first part of the economy to benefit, with a bricklayers, roofers, plasterers and carpenters recruited from abroad to address a shortage of home-grown applicants.

Not a single peep about “betrayal” or “will of the people” either.

Has the penny started to drop in DM HQ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

No.

I think it must have.

They’re reporting that the UK is relaxing access for lower skilled migrant workers cos we desperately need them and have not spun it as the government betraying the 2016 vote (or the other option of not reporting it at all). 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think it must have.

They’re reporting that the UK is relaxing access for lower skilled migrant workers cos we desperately need them and have not spun it as the government betraying the 2016 vote (or the other option of not reporting it at all). 

I can guarantee that they'll not have changed their editorial line on how Brexit is great. "It's a demonstration of how we have taken back control of our borders, only letting in those we want and who will benefit the UK economy" or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I can guarantee that they'll not have changed their editorial line on how Brexit is great. "It's a demonstration of how we have taken back control of our borders, only letting in those we want and who will benefit the UK economy" or something.

Probably true, but we also know a lot of their readers voted Brexit to get rid of the foreigners full stop.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Probably true, but we also know a lot of their readers voted Brexit to get rid of the foreigners full stop.

Also probably true. Thing is though, most people now can see that Brexit has made everything worse. So any scrap of "good" is picked up on and over-emphasised by the cheerleaders of Brexit, to try to desperately "prove" how great Brexit is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wetherspoons has been forced to make changes to its much-loved breakfast menu due to supply shortages. 

The pub chain has announced it will no longer be serving tomatoes with its breakfast fry-ups amid nationwide shortages.

Before the shortage, the bargain £6.88 breakfast meal included two sausages, two bacon, two fried eggs, a large mushroom slice, a tomato, three hash browns, baked beans and four half slices of toast.

But now the tomato has vanished from the meal.

Pub-goers are also unable to add grilled tomatoes as an extra with the item listed as ‘out of stock’.

It is unclear whether they will be replaced by turnips.

The London Economic

:lol: 

• Haha 2

Â