The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Having recently lived in a country which heavily relied on the US for massive amounts of its food (or certainly British Columbia does), it's alarming to see how flippant people can be about food standards, costs, and sourcing/production standards.

In Canada you pay extra for meat that is "antibiotic free".  It's quite the USP.  Want some delicious juice containing "Red Dye No.40"?  Or some mac and cheese containing yummy "Yellow Dye No.5 and No.6"?  Coming right up!

Like to use cosmetics?  The EU banned ingredient list numbers around 1300.  The US equivalent?  11.

ADA is a handy ingredient in both yoga mats, and bread.

On a diet?  Get some yummy Olestra into your system.

Even the Canadian delicacy of Canola Oil is properly grim when you read how it came about and how it's made.

Opening the doors to US farms and food producers is a terrifying proposition, and one I thought I'd escaped in moving back to the UK.  They say you are what you eat, and in this case that's a damning indictment of the food as much as it the people.

Was a show on tv a few years back where they had different levels of chicken from those banged up in a barn to some chickens that were fed fine organic food and played Mozart 

they did the taste test (blind)and everyone agreed the Mozart chicken tasted the best .... then they told people it would cost £25 and they all pretty much aid you know what I’ll buy the cheap one that was locked up in a battery 

people hey ...

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Was a show on tv a few years back where they had different levels of chicken from those banged up in a barn to some chickens that were fed fine organic food and played Mozart 

they did the taste test (blind)and everyone agreed the Mozart chicken tasted the best .... then they told people it would cost £25 and they all pretty much aid you know what I’ll buy the cheap one that was locked up in a battery 

people hey ...

Was that on Tory TV? :)

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

people hey ...

I see it all the time in my industry.  Most people would say they object to child labour and slave labour in factories, but they seem shocked when there's an exposé on a store that sold them a pair of shoes for £3.

That said, I feel like a lot of folks in this country care more about animals than their fellow humans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I see it all the time in my industry.  Most people would say they object to child labour and slave labour in factories, but they seem shocked when there's an exposé on a store that sold them a pair of shoes for £3.

That said, I feel like a lot of folks in this country care more about animals than their fellow humans.

Ask any MP what issue they receive most mail about from their constituents and regardless of political persuasion it’ll nearly always be something to do with animals

On 09/10/2017 at 20:05, Chindie said:

All of those are problems, yes.

But we've enacted Article 50. We will leave in March 2019. The only way that doesn't happen is of the EU agrees to let us rescind the notification. Which, if they did, would not be without penitence. Which is likely to contain changes to current deal we have that basically it's amongst the best the EU has on its books with all of our opt outs and rebates.

That, coupled to the political suicide it would be go against 'the will of the people' means we leave. 

The question remains simply how bad it'll be. No deal is the easy option for everyone even with the problems it brings (particularly for us) and the sheer disaster it'll be to our economy. The prep is in full swing.

Not true. We can rescind article 50 at any time up to 29th March without any penalty. 

This idea that there’s no going back is a complete myth propagated by the current government. 

Theyve just received a FOI request regarding the legal advice they had in this matter

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Not true. We can rescind article 50 at any time up to 29th March without any penalty. 

This idea that there’s no going back is a complete myth propagated by the current government. 

Theyve just received a FOI request regarding the legal advice they had in this matter

I'm not sure it's that clear. What does seem clear is the ECJ would make the decision if it can or can't be rescinded, and certainly some of the EU's own planning suggests it would be on their terms. Even the comments by Tusk etc suggesting it might be rescinded don't make much comment beyond that.

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I do, that’s why I’ll only buy £3 shoes if they are made from human leather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Haha Theresa May refuses to say if the referendum was held today which way she’d vote. Of all three possible answers that’s the worst one :mrgreen:

(From her career POV)

There is a fourth,  "I don't know".  I think she probably meant that in reality.

She's hopefully at the point where she is second guessing herself at which way the bathroom really is at the top of her own stairs.

She surrounds herself with people like Gove,  DUP(ffs), Hunt, word removed & Boris.  

At some point she will hopefully get an Epiphany after one of her church visits where as in the famous and very relevant "Mitchell and Web" sketch she might ask at the next cabinet meeting, 

"Are we actually the baddies in all of this?"  as her chair leg freakishly fails and she falls under the table simultaneously knocking herself out.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I care about my fellow humans when they aren't Tories and didn't vote leave ;-)

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Can you point to where it says this in the treaties?

From my understanding, it can be rescinded with the consent of the other member states, but not unilaterally.

Otherwise, what would stop any nation who wanted to piss about a bit with the system just activating Article 50, and then rescinding it after blackmailing a few extra perks out the others?

So, as far as I can tell,

The Tories (David Davis, DexEU) have spent 12 months posturing and haven't actually done anything constructive with negotiations

The EU has refused to give us all of our CDs back until we give them back the money they paid for the holiday to Tenerife

Now May is putting the feelers out for us just walking away and has now found out that there was a magic money tree after all, in fact there were **** thousands of them all along

So now comes the fallout from Tory remainers and anyone who's in any way reasonable.

That's why I think it'll never happen. May will be pushed, a fall guy will come in to say 'May **** it up, we need some contemplation time,' and article 50 will be reversed on the basis of the 'secret' legal papers saying we can, and Tusk almost specifically saying we can:

They'd be more than happy to call the whole thing off without punishing us as it'd look like a victory for them.

JMO.

Edited by darrenm
Tusk not Barnier

27 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Can you point to where it says this in the treaties?

From my understanding, it can be rescinded with the consent of the other member states, but not unilaterally.

Otherwise, what would stop any nation who wanted to piss about a bit with the system just activating Article 50, and then rescinding it after blackmailing a few extra perks out the others?

Indeed.

What would be the point of the 2 year deadline if it can be unilaterally revoked? Any nation invoking it could quite literally invoke it, then revoke it every time they needed a bit of time, and then reset the clock. Or could spend 1 year and 364 days negotiating, then revoke it because they didn't like the deal.

If it can be unilaterally revoked, it's useless.

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Indeed.

What would be the point of the 2 year deadline if it can be unilaterally revoked? Any nation invoking it could quite literally invoke it, then revoke it every time they needed a bit of time, and then reset the clock. Or could spend 1 year and 364 days negotiating, then revoke it because they didn't like the deal.

If it can be unilaterally revoked, it's useless.

Yes, it needs 'conditions', i.e. agreement, of the EU27. I'd say with the correct motivation that's pretty much a formality. 'One of the largest contributors wants to stay in, are you OK with that?'

screen%20shot%202017-03-29%20at%20123532

Â