The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Brexit Is A ‘God-Given’ Opportunity To Steal Trade From UK Says Wilbur Ross

* Billionaire Wilbur Ross will be responsible for negotiating a free trade deal with the UK.

A billionaire businessman chosen by US President-Elect Donald Trump as his new trade chief has said that Brexit represents a “God-given opportunity” for other countries to take business away from the UK.

Wilbur Ross, the US commerce secretary designate, said Britain was facing a “period of confusion” following the vote to leave the EU and that it was “inevitable” there would be “relocations”, according to The Times.

Ross will be responsible for negotiating a free trade deal with the UK and his reported comments will raise concerns the incoming US administration will seek to exploit Britain’s isolation following Brexit.

His remarks were said to have been made to an audience of Cypriot financiers in the days following last June’s referendum vote - before he had been appointed to Trump’s cabinet.

“I recommend that Cyprus should adopt and immediately announce even more liberal financial service policies than it already has so that it can try to take advantage of the inevitable relocations that will occur during the period of confusion,” he is quoted as saying.

He is said to have added that the UK’s withdrawal from the EU was a “God-given opportunity” for financial rivals of the City of London, naming Frankfurt and Dublin in particular.

Huff

* Oh dear. With the very worst aspects of TTIP insisted on by our own sordid Tory party, anyone confident in this ending happily must surely be on medication, or simply deluded.

Edited by Xann

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

* Oh dear. With the very worst aspects of TTIP insisted on by our own sordid Tory party, anyone confident in this ending happily must surely be on medication, or simply deluded.

You reached this conclusion on the basis of one statement made back in June by one billionaire ? 

Edited by tonyh29

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

You reached this conclusion on the basis of one statement made back in June by one billionaire ? 

'One billionaire' is a gross (and most likely deliberate) underestimation of who he is.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

'One billionaire' is a gross (and most likely deliberate) underestimation of who he is.

He's so rich he's actually 2 billionaires ?  .. wow the rich today is there anything they can't do ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xann said:

What did they give you post op? What dosage?

You quoted an article from June , citing one person , so I made an opinion based on the evidence you presented

clearly they didn't donate any left overs  of my lobotomy in your direction :P

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

You quoted an article from June , citing one person , so I made an opinion based on the evidence you presented

clearly they didn't donate any left overs  of my lobotomy in your direction :P

I can see you being laid up for a number of weeks being a great hoot :D

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

I can see you being laid up for a number of weeks being a great hoot :D

Only 5 weeks to go :D

The rehab isn't going well , mrs h took my bell away from me ... though tbf  she took it away before the op when I was doing a trial run with it to measure her response times .. i did download a bell app but she confiscated my phone and I had to agree to delete it before she would give it back 

i blame Brexit , it's clearly emboldened her 

• Like 1

Remember the £350m bus? And how everyone who knew anything, even the people riding around in the bus (including Farage, who actually told the Leave campaign it was too obviously not true to use it's been suggested), knew the figure was complete horseshit?

They've doubled down! We actually will save £450m a week!

The report from Change Britain claims the UK economy could benefit by £24bn a year by leaving the single market and customs union, calling this scenario a “clean Brexit”. 

It argues that in a likely outcome this would deliver annual savings of £10.4bn from contributions to the EU budget and £1.2bn from scrapping “burdensome regulations” while allowing the UK to forge new trade deals worth £12.3bn.

The Grauniad

There are times where you ask yourself, in this order, am I dreaming, or is it April 1st?

Bearing in mind Fox already said we weren't going to have a bonfire of the regulations, and London can't afford to have the same if it fancies offering financial services to Europe again...

Also, yay! More friendly Brexit branding. I await fluffy cuddly shiny happy Brexit.

How are you not understanding this? It's right there.

He isn't any old billionaire. He's the billionaire now responsible for trade in the US. Meaning his comments carry far more weight than just 'one billionaire'.

I think you knew that though.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Guess if they had a billionaire in their midst VT would be more inclined to believe what they had to say :)

We'll be rooting for your wife to face the lesser charge of manslaughter :D

• Like 1

Obviously it's darkly amusing that the new Commerce Secretary thinks Brexit is **** moronic, given how much his boss loved comparing himself to it, but it's not exactly news. The vast majority of 'experts' think it will be bad for the country, and an opportunity to steal business from Britain. 

However, as we all know, nobody cares what 'experts' think.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain many European countries have hit on the idea of trying to take business away from the UK, even without Mr Ross stating the blindingly obvious to an audience in one of Europe's pauper nations.

I'd go as far as saying the dastardly Euro fiends may even have been pursuing this strategy since... forever, under the guise of free market capitalism. I'm sure London's financial services companies are beating a path to the door of the EU's 'bail in' country of choice as we type. 

In other news it's also been interesting to read the Remain supporters blistering analysis of Mervyn King's pro-Brexit comments in recent days. What, that hasn't been mentioned?

I wonder why. 

• Like 1

In fairness I look forward to the next Leave voter posting the latest bad news... I don't think it'll happen. 

And King's comments weren't really anything new. We've heard 'there'll be pain but there can be opportunity' countless times. You'd be fool to say he's wrong, or the others that said as much, the issue is rather more how painful it'll be, how long it'll be painful for, and how things are afterwards in light of any opportunities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It's a pretty safe bet really to say it'll be a bit rough for an unspecified period of time and then things will improve by an unspecified amount. 

Or, it'll be a bit rough for an unspecified pediod of time. And then things will get worse. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Awol said:

In other news it's also been interesting to read the Remain supporters blistering analysis of Mervyn King's pro-Brexit comments in recent days. What, that hasn't been mentioned?

I wonder why. 

I suspect after King's record in overseeing financial deregulation leading up to the biggest financial disaster in a century, failing to spot the mounting private debt and house price bubble despite it being his job to monitor economic trends, and convincing the Libdems to support austerity, no-one pays him any more notice than they would some bloke down the pub.

He has a book to sell.  I don't think I'll be buying it.

Â