The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

25 minutes ago, KHV said:

The Leave campaign was utterly atrocious.

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

And yet, millions of people will still vote for them.

But do you always buy from the best salesman or do you buy because you think one product is superior to another?

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I think you are being somewhat blinkered here  ...... He voted No in 1975  , he voted against the Maastricht treaty , he voted against the Lisbon treaty 

I think its safe to say he has changed his mind purely for political gains  , though I'll concede that he is doing it for Party gain rather than personal gain as opposed to someone like Boris

Or perhaps specific elements of those treaties he did not agree with and were redlines for him. But a vote on yay or nay for the EU now is something he can agree with.

Or you're right.

I don't much care tbh.

Question.

Should the Remain vote win, is there anything stopping anyone from doing another referendum in the future?

We've been told that if we vote Out, then that's it for the next 50 years or whatever, but what about a Remain vote?  Is that it for another 50 years?

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Question.

Should the Remain vote win, is there anything stopping anyone from doing another referendum in the future?

We've been told that if we vote Out, then that's it for the next 50 years or whatever, but what about a Remain vote?  Is that it for another 50 years?

Ask Nicola Sturgeon

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The pounds is going to plummet then watch shit hit the fan

which results in higher exports , which results in a boost to our economy  :)

I'd be very cautious about using arguments like this as a basis for a decision  .... for example last week the markets plummeted on the basis of an out vote being likely , all those traders and banks that knew what they were doing probably got out long before the real carnage hit  , markets plummet 8 % , all those traders and bankers then buy back in at the new low (thus more stock for the £ ) and the market jumps up 4  % , 5% etc etc   and they make another killing  .... all on nothing but speculation

or maybe I'm just too suspicious for my own good and I should take a pen with me to the voting booth

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I keep hearing that Cameron went to the EU and in effect came back with nothing  ,

Blair wanted reform on  the EU’s farm subsidy scheme , all he managed to do was surrender £9.3 Bn from the UK rebate and got nothing in return

why are people suddenly so optimistic that the EU can reformed by us ?

To turn that around, why are people so optimistic that we're going to get a brilliant and favourable deal from 27 other member countries on single market access, when we couldn't even do so on the comparatively trivial topic of farm subsidies?

Edited by HanoiVillan

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I'd be very cautious about using arguments like this as a basis for a decision  .... for example last week the markets plummeted on the basis of an out vote being likely , all those traders and banks that knew what they were doing probably got out long before the real carnage hit  , markets plummet 8 % , all those traders and bankers then buy back in at the new low (thus more stock for the £ ) and the market jumps up 4  % , 5% etc etc   and they make another killing  .... all on nothing but speculation

or maybe I'm just too suspicious for my own good and I should take a pen with me to the voting booth

I am not sorely basing it on that. For me, my main concern is let a UK government run riot without  being governed. Both the labour and tory party have had countless corruption. We really going to trust them to look out for our best interests. Take the NHS its the tories ruining it not the EU 

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not an expert in economics. 

However, experts in economics have in fact considered this referendum! I posted a table with their expectations about three pages ago. Suffice to say, they seem to have concluded that leaving sure wouldn't help our economy. 

32 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Question.

If either party has it in its manifesto and wins a majority at a General Election then it could happen, though I think everyone will just agree with the decision and get on with it.  I think any future significant changes to the EU that effect the UK will automatically trigger a referendum, but I'm not entirely sure of the details.

If you've still to vote and are undecided, here are 5 questions to ask, with some details to consider

The choice we must make looks simple enough, but it masks a difficult and complex decision that entails weighing an imperfect status quo against an unknowable alternative future.

Obviously the wilful half-truths, wild extrapolations and baseless assurances both sides have been peddling have not helped. Here are five key questions, on five fundamental issues, worth considering before polling day.

Â