Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

On 17 February 2016 at 02:01, MikeMcKenna said:

Limpid,

Look again at the responses to my OP.  With a handful of creditable exceptions, the response was pretty luke warm and often negative. The only consistent response was for a boycott which anyone who has been involved with protests in the past knows will never get off the ground. I find it ironic that some even who admit not going to the games anymore also advocate a 'boycott'.

As I pointed out in the OP, a walkout would 'NOT make Lerner sell' but then some posters said in effect 'what's the point, Lerner isn't going to sell'. Lerner isn't going to sell, he doesn't need to. But he doesn't like being in spotlight, doesn't want the directors slagged off or to be personally humiliated, and might be prepared to invest more money or do SOMETHING if the pressure can be increased in some way at VP. We are down now and frankly I am more concerned about what will happen next year. I suspect that there will be a lot more cuts, that they are not going to invest in the summer etc This isn't about getting Lerner out anymore it is about getting them to be positive, invest and turn the tide of despair.

Chanting Lerner Out, Lerner is a ******, booing the players, hanging banners, abusing players via Twitter doesn't work. They are all par for the course and nobody takes any notice. Only something that is initially easy to do, unites the fans, generates momentum  and makes a major impact from the off with the media has any chance. If 10K+ Villa fans walked out of VP simultaneously during a televised game, it may or may not have an impact but at least we would have tried.

The actual objective was to show the club how pissed off the fans are and illustrate that we can protest in a co-ordinated and major way. However I will admit to thinking that had enough Villa fans been prepared to support the walkout, it could have snowballed, gained momentum and developed into to something bigger. I have no clue whether it would have generated a response from the club but next year in the absence of SKY's millions, the gate money will be much more important to the club and if the club is to recover it needs the supporters more than ever. 

I was prepared to stick my head above the parapet, provide financial support and do whatever I can, but living in Bournemouth, having a limited personal Villa fan network and, no media contacts I am somewhat constrained. Any effort needs to consist of more than a handful of volunteers. To get the message out, there must be a significant  number of individuals here and elsewhere who will commit to developing stuff via Social Media, working Facebook, Twitter, other forums, contact supporters group, the trust, writing to the press on and offline and ideally some who have some idea of how the media works and contacts. 

I have been down this road before and have witnessed how the likes of Jon Fear and others were ridiculed, vilified and even threatened. Unless an idea has major support and backing from many fans across the board, the originator(s) quickly become disallusioned and worn down. 

Anyone who genuinely wants to give this a go please PM me, but there is no point even starting if only a handful contact me. 

Why not wait till we are actually relegated?? It may be a virtual certainty but whilst there's any chance we should back the team. Once that's sorted I think you'll find more support. I am one of 8 ST holders and all of us think it's a dumb idea at present. 

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

As I say for all its positives, and there are many, I think we miss a massive trick if, as Mike suggested, we are all on the Motorway by the time the whistle goes.

I want Hollis/Fox on the phone to Lerner at 11 PM saying " we can't go through that again"......then put them through it again at the next game.

I think if I've just gone home their phone call to Lerner is that much less dramatic.

That's sort of what I've been saying last few weeks.

Fox and Hollis will be at the games for rest of the season, Lerner won't so they'll be getting the abuse.

You can see they're already preparing for it with Fox getting in minders for home games.

Obviously nothing violent should happen so abusive chants and protests should be where the line is drawn.

I agree with what TT says....I want Fox and Hollis having uncomfortable afternoons and evenings, despairing at what they're witnessing on the pitch and on the stands and then getting onto the phone to Randy and practically pleading with him to significantly reduce the asking price so we get much more interest than we are now.

In any case I think we'll get interest regardless purely down to relegation but ultimately that's the only way now we can begin to move forward slowly again with the Lerner regime long gone.

30 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Why not wait till we are actually relegated?? It may be a virtual certainty but whilst there's any chance we should back the team. Once that's sorted I think you'll find more support. I am one of 8 ST holders and all of us think it's a dumb idea at present. 

I could be wrong, but I think this is more than just about Villa getting relegated (although that is the net affect). 

If Villa did pull off the great escape it won't change the fact that this club is so poorly run with a dreadful owner at the helm who doesn't want to know and a board who look clueless. I think the sheer mismanagement of the club over the years is at the heart of this protest put forward by Mike, rather than the inevitable relegation. 

If you feel that this idea, at present, is not right, then that's fine, remain in your seat and cheer on the team. I think that is commendable enough and I for one wouldn't begrudge you from doing that and I don't think many on here would either. Your ticket, your choice as far as I'm concerned.

But I wouldn't label any efforts to have a united message of discontent to the board as dumb.

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I could be wrong, but I think this is more than just about Villa getting relegated (although that is the net affect). 

If Villa did pull off the great escape it won't change the fact that this club is so poorly run with a dreadful owner at the helm who doesn't want to know and a board who look clueless. I think the sheer mismanagement of the club over the years is at the heart of this protest put forward by Mike, rather than the inevitable relegation. 

If you feel that this idea, at present, is not right, then that's fine, remain in your seat and cheer on the team. I think that is commendable enough and I for one wouldn't begrudge you from doing that and I don't think many on here would either. Your ticket, your choice as far as I'm concerned.

But I wouldn't label any efforts to have a united message of discontent to the board as dumb.

I agree with the sentiment and even as you say we pulled off the miracle something would still need to be done. I think staying up is the biggest thing for the club and it is bigger than any individual. If we were to beat Stoke and were in the game on 74 min against Everton would you still leave? I think you'd find it'd stop quite a lot. Whilst we have something to play for its not a good idea. And as for sending a message that the fans aren't happy the dwindling attendances and the ground being virtually empty by full time against Liverpool will have sent a big enough message for now. 

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I agree with what TT says....I want Fox and Hollis having uncomfortable afternoons and evenings, despairing at what they're witnessing on the pitch and on the stands and then getting onto the phone to Randy and practically pleading with him to significantly reduce the asking price so we get much more interest than we are now.

What you're basically asking for here is fox and Hollis begging randy to sell up faster.... Which will end up in them losing their jobs.

That'll never happen in a million years. 

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What if we're not "actually" relegated? Then it will be "back the team while they fight relegation" all over again. When does it end?

No. This club CANNOT and WILL NOT go on like this. I've had enough, this club is rotten to the core. So whilst you are free to express yourself however you see fit it's out the door on 74 for me.

Even if I'm on my own...

You won't be on your own DDID far from it.

I respect everyone's opinion but I am struggling with this not now argument and what if we are not relegated line. For one the odds on us staying up are that slim I would bet my house on us going down. Lets though say we do pull off a miracle and finish 17th that still isn't getting anyway close to being good enough for this club. As a one off blip then maybe show some grace but this is 5 seasons on the spin now though of battling relegation(six if you include us being in or just outside the relegation zone under Houllier for 6 months) and we have shown the patience of saints given the size of this club and the much smaller clubs that have been allowed to overtake us.

Sit on your hands and do nothing and and pray for a miracle if you want but to even be relying on a miracle to stay up is a disgrace and even if we did achieve the impossible under this mob we would face the same struggles again next season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

I respect everyone for wanting to act but there I literally nothing it will or can change.

It's not gonna make him sell up faster, it's not gonna win us any games, it's not gonna make him spend anymore money, it's not gonna help us stay up.

It just feels a little pointless. They know how **** off we all are, but what does the walk out change?

Not trying to have a dig in anyway fyi.

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

It's over already, the owner quit on us in January.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spiezels said:

I respect everyone for wanting to act but there I literally nothing it will or can change.

It's not gonna make him sell up faster, it's not gonna win us any games, it's not gonna make him spend anymore money, it's not gonna help us stay up.

It just feels a little pointless. They know how **** off we all are, but what does the walk out change?

Not trying to have a dig in anyway fyi.

This is the sort of passive attitude that gets in the way of actual change.

whats the point? There is every point. At the very least to make enough noise that the rat prick can hear us in his hide away.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What if we're not "actually" relegated? Then it will be "back the team while they fight relegation" all over again. When does it end?

No. This club CANNOT and WILL NOT go on like this. I've had enough, this club is rotten to the core. So whilst you are free to express yourself however you see fit it's out the door on 74 for me.

Even if I'm on my own...

Even if we were lucky enough to get promoted, it'll be the same again. We won't suddenly start acting look a football club on the pitch, they won't suddenly work out how to run the club. I've heard some **** up stuff about the club - and the only way I can describe it is headless chickens. That's without the way a potential sale was handled.

Oh btw @dont_do_it_doug., you fancy helping out on Twitter via Tweetdeck?

• Like 1

Even if we were lucky enough to get promoted, it'll be the same again. We won't suddenly start acting look a football club on the pitch, they won't suddenly work out how to run the club. I've heard some **** up stuff about the club - and the only way I can describe it is headless chickens. That's without the way a potential sale was handled.

Oh btw @dont_do_it_doug., you fancy helping out on Twitter via Tweetdeck?

Yeah sure. I don't know what that is, but whatever I can do for the cause.

What's the craic?

1. @richardajkeys keep a beady eye if an #AVFC fan walkout on 74th min against #EFC gains any traction http://goo.gl/JnnLVp 

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity

More

@bobchuwah Thanks. Good info.

10:52 AM - 18 Feb 2016
  • Like 1

Some might say that it smacks of giving up on the part of the fans, an accusation that's been levelled at those running the club, maybe its best not give them the chance to throw that back at us.

Once again I hail those trying to make difference, just that I think it would be less detrimental to the cause, which has to be survival, if it was left off until its been confirmed which division we will be in next season.

If we do survive and then the supporters still go through with something like this then it would probably send a much stronger message. 

Randy has given up on us, the players seem to have done the same. I'd much prefer villa park to be a wall of noise nonstop for 90 minutes every single game but can we really expect that considering the shit were being served up?

could we sing for just Aston Villa? Maybe, but that'd probably just make the doughnuts running us think we're happy with what's going on.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Â