Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

If we could just get 40 or 50 fans chipping in 10 or 20 quid it would make a huge difference to what we can do.

Shame today didn't work but kudos for acknowledging that.

£20 on its way.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Shame today didn't work but kudos for acknowledging that.

£20 on its way.

For all that we say it didn't work, the protest was mentioned on Match Of The Day alongside shots of empty seats at kick-off. 

• Like 3

Being Norwegian, I've always felt that I'm merely a Villa fan and not an actual supporter of the club. Now I may support, albeit in a roundabout way and on a minor scale. £ 20 sent.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TB said:

Being Norwegian, I've always felt that I'm merely a Villa fan and not an actual supporter of the club. Now I may support, albeit in a roundabout way and on a minor scale. £ 20 sent.

Can I ask, what do you feel is the difference between 'fan' and 'supporter'? I've always treated them as meaning the same thing. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Can I ask, what do you feel is the difference between 'fan' and 'supporter'? I've always treated them as meaning the same thing. 

Disclaimer: I'm Norwegian, and thus obviously not a native English speaker, so I might have got this totally and disastrously wrong. However:

To me, a fan (music fan, football fan or any other fan in the entire universe of fandom) is someone taking an interest, quite possibly (and quite often) to the point of obsession - but they're doing that from the outside, in passive mode. How passionate they feel about their band / club doesn't really come into it. They have no chance of affecting the outcome of the current match / gig / whatever else.

A supporter to me is someone actively supporting, trying to make a difference. Being there if you're able to, doing your utmost to cheer your team and spur them on, wanting them to succeed and trying to get that message across to them. As simple as that.

IMO, you cannot support from afar, as you have no hope of being able to influence the outcome in any way. 

Speaking as a musician: a supportive crowd can lift the band on stage to a level they didn't think they were capable of (and a silent or abusive crowd will bring them down). The CD buying fans won't. 

• Like 3

I think the next protest should capture and target the dissatisfaction with the players. I am unsure if this will compliment the overall objective of the protest group but I think; a) it will receive greater participation as everyone is turning on them anyway and b ) they clearly don't give a toss about the club, fans or are they willing to do a thing to earn their millions that they extort from the club.

A few tweets from pat Murphy summed it up for me where he said words to the affect that; many good people at the club find out about their jobs tomorrow whilst the players hide behind their tinted windows and have a quiet word with their agent's.

I get the protest is aimed at the clubs hierarchy and owner but in my humble opinion it would be waste of good opportunity not to let the team know that we hold them to account. I'm not defending Lerner, and I want him gone, or at least motivated as much as most, but watching them clowns stroll about without a care in the world is just wrong on all levels. And just to rub it in they reward them selves with, and promote,  nice new mercs and holidays in Dubai whilst we sit distraught with what our club has become.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TB said:

Disclaimer: I'm Norwegian, and thus obviously not a native English speaker, so I might have got this totally and disastrously wrong. However:

To me, a fan (music fan, football fan or any other fan in the entire universe of fandom) is someone taking an interest, quite possibly (and quite often) to the point of obsession - but they're doing that from the outside, in passive mode. How passionate they feel about their band / club doesn't really come into it. They have no chance of affecting the outcome of the current match / gig / whatever else.

A supporter to me is someone actively supporting, trying to make a difference. Being there if you're able to, doing your utmost to cheer your team and spur them on, wanting them to succeed and trying to get that message across to them. As simple as that.

IMO, you cannot support from afar, as you have no hope of being able to influence the outcome in any way. 

Speaking as a musician: a supportive crowd can lift the band on stage to a level they didn't think they were capable of (and a silent or abusive crowd will bring them down). The CD buying fans won't. 

As a non-native English speaker, you write very well.  Quite eloquently too :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A fan is a person who is enthusiastic to something or somebody, such as sports team, Collectively, the fans of a particular object or person constitute its fanbase or fandom. 

A supporter for me is someone that supports, i.e. contributes funding to that cause to support said person/team. Merchandise/Tickets  

Ie, Im an Aston Villa supporter but a Barcelona fan. 

Thats just IMO of course.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

I'm still of the mindset that a single type of protest is likely to be more 'successful' than constant chopping and changing, assuming you gauge success on take up rather than the degree to which your aims are achieved.

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm still of the mindset that a single type of protest is likely to be more 'successful' than constant chopping and changing, assuming you gauge success on take up rather than the degree to which your aims are achieved.

Absolutely.  I browse these forums, I follow plenty of Villa on social media, I'd even posted in this thread before yet I was at the game yesterday and had no idea whatsoever what people were supposed to be doing.  Not until MotD did I hear about the 7th minute thing.   The mixed messaging and last minute decisions are really dampening the impact of any kind of protest. 

• Like 3

On 09/04/2016 at 10:12, markavfc40 said:

If anyone can help hand out some flyers today then come down to the Trinity Road gates, adjacent the McGregor statue, and we will on the road just outside the gates from 2:15pm Even if you can only hand out 20 or 30 flyers it would be a big help. Plus as a bonus you get to meet Simon Pegg, aka Dave,aka @dont_do_it_doug.

Simon+Pegg+Mission+Impossible+Ghost+Prot.

We are literally twins aren't we?

@choffer how can you turn that man down?

• Like 1

Just to clarify, please don't donate money if you are expecting us to stage some mass anti-player rally. That is not and never has been our agenda. 

I would implore you to visit astonvillaprotestgroup.co.uk first to fully understand what the agenda is. 

Other than that, wonderful so far. If only we'd asked you 2 months ago! We will do our best to spend the money in such a way that it keeps Aston Villa and "The Lerner Problem" in the news. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Absolutely.  I browse these forums, I follow plenty of Villa on social media, I'd even posted in this thread before yet I was at the game yesterday and had no idea whatsoever what people were supposed to be doing.  Not until MotD did I hear about the 7th minute thing.   The mixed messaging and last minute decisions are really dampening the impact of any kind of protest. 

Edit - I waffled!

We've learned a lot this week. It was good in that sense. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

One thing I'd add DDID, is that the press release for Seats on 7 was very long. When it simply could have explained the plan in 2 or 3 lines, it seemed to go on a bit.

Also, shame about the spelling mistake on the Seats on 7 flyers ;)

• Like 1

Â