Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

2 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Totally 100% agree with stopping this and credit to those who have seen the light !

Think this says it all to be honest

Someone who was so 'anti' the protest is saying it's a great idea, whereas people who supported it 100% are universally saying it's a bad idea.

• Like 1

The more I think about this, the worse of an idea it seems to be to stop it.

I know several people who were going to the Spurs game JUST to protest. 

If you're expecting people to join in with the protest against Chelsea now after this, I think you'll be very disappointed.

• Like 3

Undo it. Just undo it. As soon as possible. Now even. Now would be good. Don't think about it. Say, 'having consulted with the fanbase at large, there being an overwhelming appetite for protest this weekend, the walkout on Sunday against Spurs will go ahead as planned'. Don't say 'we' have decided the protest will go ahead. Enough of 'we'. The protest is bigger than you now. You don't get to own it. You get to facilitate it or **** it up. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, YLN said:

Undo it. Just undo it. As soon as possible. Now even. Now would be good. Don't think about it. Say, 'having consulted with the fanbase at large, there being an overwhelming appetite for protest this weekend, the walkout on Sunday against Spurs will go ahead as planned'. Don't say 'we' have decided the protest will go ahead. Enough of 'we'. The protest is bigger than you now. You don't get to own it. You get to facilitate it or **** it up. 

Yeah, I hope the people set on protesting go through with it even thou the organizers (who up til now have done a great job) has decided to take the weekend off.

Keep the ball rolling, use the momentum and continue to put pressure on the club.

It's obviously working as they now have answered by putting 2 football people on the board

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The more I think about this, the worse of an idea it seems to be to stop it.

I know several people who were going to the Spurs game JUST to protest. 

If you're expecting people to join in with the protest against Chelsea now after this, I think you'll be very disappointed.

Yep. Especially with actually what the club have done to appease some of you.

They're sat there laughing at how easily they've played you.

• Like 2

What I imagine will happen now is you'll get some people tomorrow who still want to walk out, but it will only be a relative few. The media will pick up on the handful of people walking out and report it as the protest failing because so many walked out against Everton and now hardly anyone is walking out.

12 minutes ago, YLN said:

Absolutely agree. This had starting to get some real momentum.  Continue!!

The lads who have organised this get full respect. It's truly commendable. We're all guilty of doing nothing other than moaning on a message board, so to get out there and do something deserves praise. I've defended Lerner when I believe the criticism is unfounded or unjust, but I fully agree that he needs to move on ASAP and significant change is needed. I'd have whole heartedly joined in the protest against Everton. 

I can't get with this idea of pausing the protests, though. Sorry lads.

I agree with others - a huge clanger has been dropped. I honestly think there will be people who will now not protest with you against Chelsea because of your decision this weekend. I think this could have really damaged your credibility. 

The decision to get the mythical 'football man' (well, men) is only a minor step in the right direction, and you don't know whether the club acted because of these protest or this has been on the cards for a while. Have the club shown you/us respect with those appointments or have they just done something they were going to do anyway?

The protests should have continued in full, and without a pause, until you're fully satisfied that the club have addressed the concerns you stated in your letter to Randy Lerner. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No they're not.

There is absolutely no way the appointment of Little and Bernstein was as a result of this protest.

As much as I support the protest and think it could make a difference, there's just no way it has already produced these results. The timing is a coincidence.

I imagine if told the protest is off, the people running the club will shrug their shoulders. It wasn't big enough yet for them to think it would make a difference. The only chance of that happening was to gather momentum.

This has ruined that momentum.

Yeah, I think my original post was embellished out of sheer disbelief.

So why a one game pause? Why has it stopped for the next game, but will go ahead against Chelsea? What do the club have to do to get you to skip Chelsea too?

It was a campaign that was already struggling to send a clear message, IMO, this is a shambles.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No they're not.

There is absolutely no way the appointment of Little and Bernstein was as a result of this protest.

As much as I support the protest and think it could make a difference, there's just no way it has already produced these results. The timing is a coincidence.

I imagine if told the protest is off, the people running the club will shrug their shoulders. It wasn't big enough yet for them to think it would make a difference. The only chance of that happening was to gather momentum.

This has ruined that momentum.

Agree wholeheartedly.

The appointments to the board are exceptionally unlikely to have anything to do with the protest. At all.

And the protest isn't really anything approaching a movement with any force or power in relation to the club. I would argue it's very unlikely to ever be, but again I don't really support it do I have a bias, but either way it's absolutely not something of the size or power for the club to change any policy or approach as things stand.

Which all the more makes 'pausing' even more baffling and will lead people to question the purpose of the protest, and also question why this pause has been made.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's a terrible decision to "pause" the walkout.

Sorry chaps. You've dropped a clanger here.

I agree,

yes there was a protest, yes we have appointed some new board members which I think are terrific and I have previously said so.

However, 3 of the biggest arseholes that contributed to our downfall over the summer are still there, Fox, Almstadt and Reilly. The protest should continue until they have gone at a minimum. Also the protest should continue as we were told we had to cut back as our wages to turnover ratio was out of control, guess what the accounts are released and hey ho the wages to turnover ratio is till out of control and we are going down, not are we only going down but have amassed one of the shittest group of players in living memory and continue to be a laughing stock week in week out by putting in abysmal performances. The choice of manager again has been bloody awful so I find it hard to believe we are cutting the club some slack so quickly.

I suppose it's in line with Aston Villa though, Garde has given up, the players have given up and now the protesters have given up

FWIW, I  think the only thing worse than the 'pause' would be the decision to pause, having it announced on the radio, and then changing your minds and trying to get it going again at such short notice.

I feel very torn because I think the guys organising OTDO74 have done a fantastic job and they deserve all our support, rather than some of the armchair philosophising that has been going on in the background.

BUT I can only see this pause as a mistake, that will drain the protests of momentum and give the club entirely wrong signals about their purpose. So was it all just about getting a couple of faces we like on the Board and the club saying something positive about their roles (something they are past masters at)?

I've read all the statements and I remain genuinely unclear about the reasoning behind the "pause" (aka "death knell"?) for OTDO74

• Like 4

Â