The VT Deadpool 2016

Seat68

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

:o why? For someone who's not a fan like yourself  I can maybe see how you would, but I think a lot of people misunderstand them. sabbath dealt with some great stuff lyrically. The satanic thing was a myth.

TBH I find pretty much the whole metal subculture ridiculous. I agree that the satanic thing started out as a bit of a giggle, but it spawned an entire industry of bullshit. About the only current metal band I can listen to is Opeth, mainly for their prog tendencies. But even they ride on the doom/downer wave, which just has no appeal for me whatsoever. 

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

TBH I find pretty much the whole metal subculture ridiculous. I agree that the satanic thing started out as a bit of a giggle, but it spawned an entire industry of bullshit. About the only current metal band I can listen to is Opeth, mainly for their prog tendencies. But even they ride on the doom/downer wave, which just has no appeal for me whatsoever. 

Most metal is shite imo, and the lyrics are generic, sabbath being the exception though and maybe one or two other bands. Sabbaths  debut was the one which gave them the satanic image, but they sang about the dangers of it not promoted it, after that they kind of left it behind. I like downer music and I think that's one of my favourite things about sabbath, the lyrics were real and about the darker things in life. There are some decent prog metal bands tbf.

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Same. First I've ever heard of him/her. 

He/She's been in a few movies down the years - the notable ones before the op were Pulp Fiction, The Wedding Singer and (the brilliant) Last Exit to Brooklyn.

• 2 weeks later...

Curtis Hanson

Oscar-winning writer and film director Curtis Hanson has died at his home in Hollywood at the age of 71.

Police said he died of natural causes. A report said he had retired in recent years due to Alzheimer's.

Hanson won an Oscar in 1998 for best adapted screenplay for LA Confidential. His directing credits included The Hand That Rocks the Cradle and Wonder Boys.

I remember watching LA Confidential at New St Odeon one saturday. It was part of a double bill me and my mate did. Face/Off being the first film. Separated by a fish n chips meal from the Square Peg. Good times.

The Godfather of Gore gone :(

Herschell Gordon Lewis, the horror filmmaker known as the "godfather of gore", has died at the age of 87.

He directed films such as Blood Feast, The Gruesome Twosome and Two Thousand Maniacs.

Gordon Lewis died in his sleep at his home in Pompano Beach, Florida, his spokesman James Saito confirmed.

The director pioneered the horror genre in the 1960s known as the "splatter film," which intentionally focused on gore and gruesomeness.

Blood, violence and nudity usually featured heavily in his films - many of which he financed himself.

Other horror films directed by Gordon Lewis included A Taste of Blood, The Wizard of Gore, Colour Me Blood Red and Just for the Hell of It.

He made some splendidly OTT horror movies in his time.

A life worth celebrating. Vic Viner dies at 99.

Vic Viner, who has died aged 99, was one of the last remaining survivors of the Royal Navy Dunkirk rescue operation that saw the evacuation of thousands of trapped Allied soldiers during the second world war. As a leading seaman, aged 23, he spent six days and six nights under heavy bombardment on the beach, marshalling troops off the sands and onto the flotilla of little ships during Operation Dynamo between 26 May and 4 June 1940.

Viner was dispatched from Chatham in Kent aboard HMS Esk, one of four destroyers sent to rescue British, Belgian and French troops cut off and surrounded by the German army. His first orders were, with three others, to row the ship’s whaler to the beach and bring back soldiers. It was back-breaking work, as they picked up 15 soldiers, complete with kit, on each journey. After the fourth, his colleague noticed: “Vic, you’ve got blood all over your hands”. Both men had. “You’ve heard the expression sweated blood. Well we did. Literally sweated blood due to the rowing,” Viner recalled.

:snip:

His passion was informing children of his experiences and he was well known in Dorking, talking at schools, in local clubs and attending remembrance events. “He was very keen for people to remember and to understand what happened,” said his grandson, Patrick Viner.

• Like 1

Andrew Vicari, aged 84

Once the richest living British artist, he had become the official portrait painter to the Saudi royal family plus one off commissions for various other arab royals and rich listers.

One particular series of paintings of the gulf war sold for £17 million.

In 2006 he was the UK's 18th richest person with £92 million in the bank. But.....by 2014. he filed for bankruptcy. 

Don't particularly know of him, just thought that looked like a fascinating ride, from £92 million to bust in 8 years. 

cache_9222008.jpg

Just now, maqroll said:

Those paintings look like they were done by a very talented 12 year old.

Either you are a very astute art critic or you've been swatting up on him. 

He won a painting prize aged 12, apparently he knocked off a quick portrait for a competition and won. He got a cheque for £10 and thought to himself, this is easy money, I shall be an artist.

Yep, bang average to my eye, but what do I know, my fave is Jackson Pollock.

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Either you are a very astute art critic or you've been swatting up on him. 

He won a painting prize aged 12, apparently he knocked off a quick portrait for a competition and won. He got a cheque for £10 and thought to himself, this is easy money, I shall be an artist.

Yep, bang average to my eye, but what do I know, my fave is Jackson Pollock.

I see the RA has an exhibition of Abstract Expressionism until January, will you be going?

I would go myself but some people say I talk enough Pollocks already. :)

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I see the RA has an exhibition of Abstract Expressionism until January, will you be going?

I would go myself but some people say I talk enough Pollocks already. :)

Cheers, just looked it up, ticks all the boxes with Pollock, De Kooning and Rothko, but I rarely get to be specific enough on a London trip to know what time of what day I will be free (one hour ticket booking slots!) plus it's nearly £20 for me as a full paying member of society, whereas Tate Modern is excellent and free!

• Like 1