The VT Deadpool 2016

Seat68

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an odd story and certainly nowhere near black and white.

When I was in college I knew a couple of people that knew this bloke that had legendary status locally as some sort of jolly cannabis pirate. One of my lecturers was a relative and would tell tales of midnight visits back to mum's house (organised by the police) to have a cup of tea, catch up with the news, drop off some cash and be whisked away again. All very romantic and somewhat far fetched.

I decided to stop believing the stories when I was told he'd been released from court for threatening to tell tales about MI6 and the CIA if prosecuted. I think at that point I decided it was all a bit silly and clearly made up.

It was years later I realised the stories from college were all based on 'fact'. There had been a bloke with the same name as my lecturer that was from Bridgend like my lecturer and was a cannabis smuggler with links to MI6 and the CIA and all sorts of others including south american drug barons and the IRA etc.. Those stories about the americans facilitating vast drug deals to raise money for black ops, well who knew! They were apparently true.

Anyway, years after that, this bloke is back around, is buddies with local groups like Super Furry Animals and Catatonia. 

Whether you can ever 'condone' drug smuggling, or going in to partnership with a tory Lord to run a brothel, that's a whole debate right there. But this guy clearly lived a very interesting life, mixing with lots of people on both sides of the good / bad divide. 

I've been to a talk come power point presentation he gave and it was entertaining and fascinating.

I haven't read the book. 

It's a complex world, where people castigate the PM for vague tax set ups in his previous life, but celebrate the life of a convicted cannabis smuggler. But hey, we're complex people, we can handle it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

David Gest gone.

Although he looked a bit strange with his plastic surgery, he was apparently a very nice man. 

The BBC article says he lived in York! loved the whole history of it all

That period before Lovejoy gurns his way through my Sunday morning I watch things that I ordinarily would never watch, Frazier and Everybody Loves Raymond, not as arse twitchingly unfunny as the big bang theory, but certainly up there. Sunday I thought that the actress in it was familiar, turns out she is in the excellent, The Middle. I looked at the cast and saw the mother in it was 90 and actually wished I had put her down for the VT Deadpool. Cool story yeah?

Wotchu on about? Frasier is hilarious. Way better than Big Bang Theory. Never gave Everybody Loves Raymond much of a chance but it didn't look very good.

Frasier is one of the best sitcoms ever, in my opinion. Very cleverly written.

• Like 4

Big Bang Theory is a weird one. My girlfriend is watching through them at the moment and I'm half watching whilst playing Football Manager. 4 seasons in and I've only laughed a handful of times, but I kind of like it. It's just ..'nice', easy watching. Certainly better than Don't Tell the Bride or Britain's Got Talent or whatever rubbish she sometimes wants to watch. Hate Frasier though.

But way off topic...RIP Doris Roberts.

Fraiser is something my 13 year old self would never watch.  But I've recorded/watched the entire thing over the last few months and now I love it.

It's faux posh-ness and taking the piss out of that type of people. 

It's funny because the thing it appears to be, is completely untrue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

Wotchu on about? Frasier is hilarious. Way better than Big Bang Theory. Never gave Everybody Loves Raymond much of a chance but it didn't look very good.

Yeah I didnt punctuate it as best as I could, Frasier is alright, enjoyable even, Everybody Loves Raymond, not so much, Big Bang Theory is just shocking, but conscious that I may incur the wrath of Limpid, thats something for a different thread.

On 2 January 2016 at 02:26, Ingram85 said:

Dennis Law

Ric Flair

William Shatner

Doris Roberts (everybody loves Raymond, Lampoons Xmas vacation)

Justin Bieber

Ahem.

• Like 2

Well, all of this is correct. Nice.