Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

Desperately need some midfield creativity. Really hope we're looking at other options.

We don't really - not with the attacking options we have.  I can't see how we currently fit our best players (+ new striker) in to a lineup, let alone signing more in that final third.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

We need someone to cover/put pressure on the attacking midfielders that we currently have.  There is no strength in depth.

Grealish, McCormack and Ayew as players that can play in an attacking midfield role is fine for me.  We could buy another one but, again, where does everyone fit?

As omariqy says, potentially a winger (Green is raw and Ayew is wasted there IMO) - especially if we're going to stick with Gestede as a focal point.  

We need players who can stretch play. This will allow more space for McCormack/Gestede. Currently we are playing Ayew and Grealish wide, their tendency is to move inside - and this just doesn't pull the defence. We really need a winger or two to do that.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Grealish, McCormack and Ayew as players that can play in an attacking midfield role is fine for me.  We could buy another one but, again, where does everyone fit?

As omariqy says, potentially a winger (Green is raw and Ayew is wasted there IMO) - especially if we're going to stick with Gestede as a focal point.  

They are not all going to play 46 league games.  There is no cover.  We saw against Huddersfield that we have nothing on the bench that can change things.  We are desperately short of attacking options and seem to have lost Adama as well.  With a new striker, we can juggle McCormack but there is no cover for either Grealish or Ayew.  If either of them are out, our attacking options drop by a long shot.  Have a look at Newcastle and see the strength in depth that they have in midfield.  We need at least one more attacking midfielder, probably 2. 

• Like 1

Things are taking shape

if RDM has told Bacuna he has a future here then I can imagine 4-3-3(2-1)

Gollini

DeLaet Elphich Chester Amavi

Bacuna Jedinak Tshibola

Ayew/Grealish McGoal

Nr 9

or

Gollini

chester Elphick Baker

DeLaet                       Amavi

Jedinak      Tshibola

ayew/Grealish McGoal

Nr 9

I still think we need a winger as at least an option to mix things up

Edited by Grasshopper

2 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

4 goals scored in 4 games despite creating 48 chances (not sure what qualifies as a chance) tells me we really need a natural finisher to replace/challenge Gestede.

Nice to see we are creating opportunities thou.

IMO we also need a wide player as well as a playmaker type in midfield (no I don't wan't to rely on Westwood in that role)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, useless said:

This idea that he hasn't done anything or that he's a lazy player is a myth.Needs to find a club then settle, will be a valuable asset to that team.

Hmmm, I would argue it's getting a bit late for that now and that his best chance of doing it would have been here in Italy where the club takes an interest in every aspect of a players life and tries to make sure they have a perfect diet, environment etc. to flourish he will have had support staff dedicated to his integration here even at the shambles which is Lazio.

I don't think we are after a winger. As @Grasshopper mentioned, if Bacuna now has a future, I think he will be used there. We all saw a couple of years back how good a delivery he has from advanced wide areas (I think he set up 5 or 6 Benteke goals in a short period of time) and I think a settled, focused Bacuna with the fans onside, plus poorer Championship full backs, should be productive. 

1 minute ago, Jenko#4 said:

I don't think we are after a winger. As @Grasshopper mentioned, if Bacuna now has a future, I think he will be used there. We all saw a couple of years back how good a delivery he has from advanced wide areas (I think he set up 5 or 6 Benteke goals in a short period of time) and I think a settled, focused Bacuna with the fans onside, plus poorer Championship full backs, should be productive. 

Bacuna is only decent if he is played at right back. He isn't good enough to play any other position. 
I imagine he will be phased out now De Laet is here.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bacuna is only decent if he is played at right back. He isn't good enough to play any other position. 
I imagine he will be phased out now De Laet is here.

He was bought as a winger though from what I remember. He wasn't good enough as either a fullback or winger in the Premier League, but I think he could be in the Championship.