Pre-match thread

Arj Guy

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

I'd like to see Gil, Grealish or Traore in place of Sinclair but Gestede being dropped is all I was asking for so we'll see.

None of those 3 offer anything in defense. At least Ayew and Sinclair track back. We have conceded early goals in almost every match it seems so again this seems like a sensible lineup.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Given our tendency to let in early goals, I'm surprised people are so opposed to a bit of cautiousness. 

Given our league position and the fact we are the lowest scorers in the league, I'm surprised people are so keen on being cautious. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Given our league position and the fact we are the lowest scorers in the league, I'm surprised people are so keen on being cautious. 

Probably because our GD is already -17 and what do ya know we are in last.

Just now, DCJonah said:

It's all well and good saying that. But if we started the game like the Everton, Southampton and Arsenal games you'd be one of the first people slating the manager I'm sure.

I don't want to see a game full of us being cautious. But I can understand, given how shaky we've looked at the start of games, if we start the game a bit cautiously. If we spend the whole game being cautious then I'd agree it would be a poor approach.

We need to win. But part of that is ensuring the game isn't over in the first 10 minutes again.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

So you agree we need to start winning games. 

And the only sensible approach in getting results is not letting the other team score goals. We concede early and let the game slip early on. This lineup serves to achieve a slow buildup. Veretout is going to be at the tip of the diamond where he was most successful at Nice.

Regarding having no attack, that's simply because our options are crap. No one wanted to see Gastede in the team, no one wants to see Gabby in the team, Kozak just isn't in the managers plans it seems, and playing Traore in an away game like this wouldn't make sence imo. 

It may not be the most attacking team you'll ever see but sadly I don't think the Manager could do must else. 

4 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

None of those 3 offer anything in defense. At least Ayew and Sinclair track back. We have conceded early goals in almost every match it seems so again this seems like a sensible lineup.

I have no complaints, just in an ideal world I wouldn't have minded that. We have four central midfielders, I'm glad we're looking to be solid.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's all well and good saying that. But if we started the game like the Everton, Southampton and Arsenal games you'd be one of the first people slating the manager I'm sure.

I don't want to see a game full of us being cautious. But I can understand, given how shaky we've looked at the start of games, if we start the game a bit cautiously. If we spend the whole game being cautious then I'd agree it would be a poor approach.

We need to win. But part of that is ensuring the game isn't over in the first 10 minutes again.

You've hinted at this a few times. I don't know why you keep saying I'd criticise the manager what ever happens. My posts when he was linked and joined are there to see and all were incredibly positive and happy about it. 

Sadly, its the type of insulting rubbish you can sometimes post when you're not posting your usually well thought out opinion. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Our strikers are crap and our defence is worse, I'd rather be cautious than cavalier. 

Nope, you're reading something that isn't there. All I meant is that you, as would many others, would be negative about the way we'd started the game if we went and conceded a goal or two in the first 10 minutes.

If we start the game cautiously to avoid that, then I can completely see the logic in that.

It's tempting to want us to just go out and attack from the start. But I think people are imagining us overruning Newcastle and scoring a load of goals, when what is more likely to happen is we get caught on the break straight away and go behind.

I think that lineup could have done with a bit more attacking intent but I just don't know who would provide that.

Gil has been poor, Grealish looks uninterested and I still don't think Adama is all he is cracked up to be just yet. 

Hopefully this is a keep it solid, try and nick one, first half approach with a more attacking approach coming later in the game. Its risky but so is going all out and losing the game in the first half.

• Like 1