The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Still like Garde, at least he's acting with a bit of integrity.  Can you imagine how Sherwood would be conducting himself now !?

Not much Remi can do, we have played at 110% effort a few times this season and still not been good enough.  This is what buying inexperience does, none of our squad know how to perform at this level and are not mentally or physically cut out for it.  Total mess with no easy fix.  It's going to take at least 2 seasons to get the dressing room 'right'.  We need some leaders and they are so hard to find.  Expected more from the villa fans in our squad, disgraceful.

2 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

Whats the percentage win rate for Sherwood and garde

This season?

By my calculations:

All comps:

Sherwood: 23%

Garde: 17%

League only:

Sherwood: 10%

Garde: 13%

We are in a era of status quo all  the managers of late have been of a simular par, all are being asked to keep the ship afloat not their fault they are failing, just the wrong breed at the wrong time. Not many Ron Saunders about , but do we need one.

25 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

Thought they would be quite close so no change there then, didn't Sherwood say the committee bought the players the same guys who would  buy them now.

No. He didn't.

And the ratios look a lot better when you add draws in. Points to game would probably be a better indicator, seeing as Sherwood lost most of the games he didn't win.

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

With getting involved with the out the door on 74 campaign I got to be honest I haven't really thought about Garde for a few days. However the more I have been thinking about where we have gone wrong as a club over the last few years the more I have come to the conclusion that really since the time of Houllier all managers have been swimming against the tide. McLeish had a worse squad than Houllier, Lambert almost certainly under instruction from those above bombed a number of high earners out and we ended up with a squad, aside from a handful of players, packed with players punching above their weight in the top flight. Sherwood inherits that squad and quickly sees the handful of players proven to be good enough in the Prem leave to be replaced by in the main players with some potential but unproven in this league.

Bringing this back to Garde he has what Sherwood had and simply hasn't been able to get too much more out of them than his predecessor. A little more but nowhere near enough for us to survive. It really isn't his fault though is it. With the tools we have given McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde to work with in terms of finances we were asking them to do no more than survive. Fans rightly though won't simply accept that and we have almost to a man over the last few years eventually turned on the manager as that is always seen as the easy fix. On one occasion we got lucky and got the new manager bounce but quickly found ourselves back to square one. In fact this season we went and did what we hoped was unthinkable and went backwards.

I can't blame Garde if we go down this season now. I'd be guessing if I said he had done a poor job as I really don't know if this squad is now just that bad. He also hasn't had what all managers that preceded him have had and a few pennies to spend. You know what though just like those that went before him he too will swim against the tide and I'd be surprised if he is given the required funds to improve the squad and if anything we will start next season with a worse squad and that for me means we won't compete to come up.

I don't think we will ever know if Remi could have been a good manager for us. If he sticks around into next season, which I very much doubt he will, then he will not be given the tools to do his job and somewhere down the line, much like those that went before him, he will be made a scapegoat.

very sad, but likely true.

20 hours ago, bobzy said:

His pedigree being developing a team of young players over a period of time with restricted finances...

...what exactly were your hopes of him this season with such "pedigree"?

A bit more than minimal wins and being massively cut adrift at the bottom if I'm honest................... afterall, hes being paid a kings ransom as well as the players............. I don't think its wrong to have expected more !!

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

the way I see it with Garde is he is getting a lot of rope from some fans like Lambert did (with McLeish) because he wasnt Tim Sherwood

Totally and I hold my hands up to it.  Also he gets a bit a slack because he seems like a decent guy, not a total bell end.

Odds are completely and utterly against this before I even spit this out.... But...

in an ideal world.... And if Garde were to leave....

Mourinho is looking for a project this summer. If the board were to spin it the right way to him, sell it to him as a proud traditional club with a lot to gain and nothing to lose, and offer him a big enough pay check, I think it'd be perfect for him.

hed need a hell of a lot of backing though

I'm sure he could deliver more than what the last load of "managers" have.

And then I wake up and realise that's never going to happen, and we'll sign Ian dowie instead

6 minutes ago, Duck said:

Odds are completely and utterly against this before I even spit this out.... But...

in an ideal world.... And if Garde were to leave....

Mourinho is looking for a project this summer. If the board were to spin it the right way to him, sell it to him as a proud traditional club with a lot to gain and nothing to lose, and offer him a big enough pay check, I think it'd be perfect for him.

hed need a hell of a lot of backing though

I'm sure he could deliver more than what the last load of "managers" have.

And then I wake up and realise that's never going to happen, and we'll sign Ian dowie instead

Yeah but, could he cut it in the Championship? 

Â