The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would think there are a lot more of them now per head of population than there were in the 70's / 80's when the Boomers were at the height of their earnings. 

I don’t think it’s (generally) the generation struggling to get on the housing ladder who have second (or third etc) homes, if I’m honest, but there’s certainly something that people have aspired to with “passive income”.

AirBnB has a lot to answer for. 

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think it’s (generally) the generation struggling to get on the housing ladder who have second (or third etc) homes, if I’m honest, but there’s certainly something that people have aspired to with “passive income”.

I suspect there is some irony in that some of the generation that can’t afford homes are consoling themselves with weekends away in an air BnB which creates demand for more air BnB and puts house prices up.

There are something like 600,000 air BnB in the UK, now a large number of those will be tents and novelty helicopter experiences. But a few hundred thousand will be houses and apartments. Imagine a drop in demand and a hike in costs resulting in a quarter of a million more homes for living in becoming available. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

No, what I'm saying is that Boomers were being blamed for a lot of issues earlier in the thread. But I'm pretty sure that proportionately there are a lot more second + home owners now than the Boomers ever managed. 

All the upwardly mobile middle age bankers and whatnot building property portfolios. 

Not a bunch of 80 year olds. Sure they exist but I doubt they were empire building 20 - 30 years ago like a lot of people are doing today. 

• Thanks 1

As the largest commercial landlord in history, Blackstone is rumoured to own more than 60,000 homes in the UK and is currently involved in building 20,000+ a year for it's rental arm (including 5,000 proposed on land at the NEC, which it also owns). If we're blaming boomers for the housing market, then just one, Stephen Schwarzman, might be the best bet.

• Like 4

Is that the first time a serving minister has been forced to pay damages to avoid a libel case? I imagine that would be a resigning matter under any other administration. 

Edit - apparently she didn't have to pay damages for her libel. The taxpayer did, on her behalf. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

No, what I'm saying is that Boomers were being blamed for a lot of issues earlier in the thread. But I'm pretty sure that proportionately there are a lot more second + home owners now than the Boomers ever managed. 

All the upwardly mobile middle age bankers and whatnot building property portfolios. 

Not a bunch of 80 year olds. Sure they exist but I doubt they were empire building 20 - 30 years ago like a lot of people are doing today. 

80 year olds aren’t boomers are they? 80 year olds were born during the war. The boomers are in their 60s and 70s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

80 year olds aren’t boomers are they? 80 year olds were born during the war. The boomers are in their 60s and 70s.

Born in 1945 = 79 this year, its very marginal.

Edited by Genie

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

giphy.gif

A lot of boomers haven’t retired yet, they are the CEOs and on boards of directors etc. You’re implying they are the wartime generation scraping around with a pension.

Just now, LondonLax said:

A lot of boomers haven’t retired yet, they are the CEOs and on boards of directors etc. You’re implying they are the wartime generation scraping around with a pension.

I'm implying no such thing. 

I'm saying there are likely to be more people in their prime now building property portfolios than there would have been 30 to 40 years ago. 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

As the largest commercial landlord in history, Blackstone is rumoured to own more than 60,000 homes in the UK and is currently involved in building 20,000+ a year for it's rental arm (including 5,000 proposed on land at the NEC, which it also owns). If we're blaming boomers for the housing market, then just one, Stephen Schwarzman, might be the best bet.

Good and bad.  Bad that they own so many UK houses… but good that at least they are building more houses.  Better them building 20k more houses and renting them out rather than the UK having 20k less houses creating even more constraint in supply. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm implying no such thing. 

I'm saying there are likely to be more people in their prime now building property portfolios than there would have been 30 to 40 years ago. 

Yes, the boomers, and maybe Gen Xs. Millennials are not building property portfolios. 

10 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yes, the boomers, and maybe Gen Xs. Millennials are not building property portfolios. 

Plenty of them are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Plenty of them are.

I think we were making sweeping generalisations here weren’t we 😁

There is some data here from the US (though I imagine trends are similar) that says boomers buy properties earlier in their lives than the generations after them. Though now it seems Gen Z might be getting on the ladder earliest of all, with the article suggesting it is possibly with the help of the bank of (boomer) mum and dad.

Redfin-Chart-Baby-Boomers-GenZ-Home-Owne

https://fortune.com/2024/01/17/redfin-baby-boomers-gen-z-housing-market-homeownership/amp/

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think we were making sweeping generalisations here weren’t we 😁

There is some data here from the US (though I imagine trends are similar) that says boomers buy properties earlier in their lives than the generations after them. Though now it seems Gen Z might be getting on the ladder earliest of all, with the article suggesting it is possibly with the help of the bank of (boomer) mum and dad.

Redfin-Chart-Baby-Boomers-GenZ-Home-Owne

https://fortune.com/2024/01/17/redfin-baby-boomers-gen-z-housing-market-homeownership/amp/

I would have portfolio as more than one. 

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I would have portfolio as more than one. 

Obviously, though if you don’t even have 1 it’s difficult to have a portfolio 😁

Here’s a quick search of second home ownership by age in the U.K.  

I can’t get the document to embed from my phone though 😕

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f044501e90e075c50609e43/2020_EHS_second_homes_factsheet.pdf

Edited by LondonLax

Â