The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Are these arguably the worst generation?

Didn't fight in the war and build the country back up and then after benefitting from everything that was good, have done everything they can to make future generations worse off. 

yes-thinking.gif

Not sure if this is the correct topic to ask but I overheard a conversation at work last week talking about when Sunak is likely to call a GE. Person A predicts his egotistical 'insert swear word here' won't call it until he's had 2 years as PM, which would be what - November? Surely they would want to campaign before that, no? But then on the other hand I'm thinking, they must know they're **** either way and will just end up dragging it on for as long as possible?

The greys got nice pensions, but the state of the NHS.

I'd imagine it's a fairly small percentage that'll be better off if we continue to roll towards where Tory donors want us to be?

Screenshot2024-01-21at14_50_19.thumb.png.228e0ea663aa98e9da3bfea6cca6d2fb.png

This is one of my friends in the US. The pic was captured mid Jan, for time reference.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MCU said:

Not sure if this is the correct topic to ask but I overheard a conversation at work last week talking about when Sunak is likely to call a GE. Person A predicts his egotistical 'insert swear word here' won't call it until he's had 2 years as PM, which would be what - November? Surely they would want to campaign before that, no? But then on the other hand I'm thinking, they must know they're **** either way and will just end up dragging it on for as long as possible?

The absolute latest it could be, would be late January next year. That would involve campaigning over Christmas and nobody will fancy that and the electorate will punish the party that delays the strictly final with a party political broadcast.

It would be equally daft to ask people to stay sober to vote in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

May and June have a couple of Westminster recess weeks in there. July and August MP’s will be on their hols as will much of the electorate that has the money for holidays so that would be a bad choice.

Would they have the kids back in school in September and then give them all a Thursday off?

By a process of elimination you start to think its October / November as a likely date. But October 31st is a Thursday and he surely wouldn’t call a GE on Halloween, would he?

What we’re trying to do here, is guess the thought process of a trapped tory when none of the options are flash your cock or grab the money.

• Like 3

That’s all I can think of, the longer he leaves it, the more chance of Argentina invading the Isle of Wight and every month is another £7,200 payslip for even the most invisible insipid back bench MP.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MCU said:

Most bookies are saying November as that will get Richi his two years and he can kick off the campaign after the conference season. But others are saying he wants it earlier due to the US election may overshadow it.  I doubt he wants to do a December election even though that is what happened in 2019. The latest will be January 2025. It would be great if this could all be wrapped up by May but he wants to play pretend prime minister for a bit longer before he gets his big tech move sorted out. The local elections in May will be terrible so he will probably want to wait a bit longer in the hope things may get better. They won't.

He may then be under pressure to get it done and out of the way in early summer but I think most Tories will probably like to spend one more summer in recess at the public's expense, whilst looking for new jobs.

Edited by The Fun Factory

51 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s all I can think of, the longer he leaves it, the more chance of Argentina invading the Isle of Wight and every month is another £7,200 payslip for even the most invisible insipid back bench MP.

Same, they are holding out in the hope something really shitty sticks to Starmer or as you say, an opportunity to look heroic (although it didn’t work for BoJo and Ukraine).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think the markets will reject this. If funded by scrapping non-dom status then it’s as good as unfunded.

• Like 1

The irony of The Tories targeting rich tax exiles living here and Labour probably going to drop it when they get in as its a stupid unworkable policy that will probably reduce tax receipts. 

21 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Are these arguably the worst generation?

Didn't fight in the war and build the country back up and then after benefitting from everything that was good, have done everything they can to make future generations worse off. 

First of all, I think the headline is bollocks.

But I definitely blame myself for voting for Blair in 1997, even though wiser heads warned me that he was a total phoney.

But as for blaming the boomers, it could only apply to those who pissed their good times up the wall, as anyone who bought a house, council or otherwise, have a massive amount of equity to draw upon, and still have a substantial amount to live on and/or leave to their children.

What they are not telling you, is that if they taxed property and not just wage-earners, they might be able to deal with the country's debts, or attempt to remedy some of the squalor, which is to be seen in every town and city.

26 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

First of all, I think the headline is bollocks.

But I definitely blame myself for voting for Blair in 1997, even though wiser heads warned me that he was a total phoney.

But as for blaming the boomers, it could only apply to those who pissed their good times up the wall, as anyone who bought a house, council or otherwise, have a massive amount of equity to draw upon, and still have a substantial amount to live on and/or leave to their children.

What they are not telling you, is that if they taxed property and not just wage-earners, they might be able to deal with the country's debts, or attempt to remedy some of the squalor, which is to be seen in every town and city.

I blame second (or third, fourth, fifth etc) home owners.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I blame second (or third, fourth, fifth etc) home owners.

I would think there are a lot more of them now per head of population than there were in the 70's / 80's when the Boomers were at the height of their earnings. 

Â