The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

31 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It must be decades since we had an actual "McCarthyism was good and  right, it was all the fault of the lefty infiltrators" take.

So ignorant -- and dangerous -- and commonplace, sadly, in the UK and USA. I feel we need to condemn these patterns of political discourse where a domestic political opposition (for Jenrick, it's Labour) are turned into a kind of viral disease -- "infiltrating," "infecting," etc.. And he needs a history lesson. The idea of an American "Leftish Intelligentsia" somehow secretly taking the reins of power in the 1950s in the USA is false. In fact, by the time of Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, the Establishment Liberal Left had no problem sending thousands of American young men to their deaths in Vietnam. Because there was no secret leftist powerbase. It was all in plain sight, and it wasn't very left, after all. And for a country whose institutions were supposedly "infiltrated" by a bunch of brilliant leftists, those leftists seem to have been thoroughly sidelined. The power establishment doesn't get dragged by its hair across the streets of Chicago -- they do the dragging.

1968_Chicago.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 4

Poor fella, maybe we could have a whip round for him?

A Tory MP said he quit his ministerial role because he could not afford to pay his mortgage on a salary of £118,300.

Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman resigned as science minister in November.

In a blog post, he said he stood down: "Because my mortgage rises this month from £800pcm to £2,000, which I simply couldn't afford to pay on a ministerial salary."

Take home pay on £118k is over £6,200 per month. Thats before his expenses.

He was also paid £8k when he left BJ’s cabinet before re-taking the same role a few weeks later.

The good news is there’s been a huge increase in food banks since he’s been in the Tory party.

link

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

Poor fella, maybe we could have a whip round for him?

Take home pay on £118k is over £6,200 per month. Thats before his expenses.

He was also paid £8k when he left BJ’s cabinet before re-taking the same role a few weeks later.

The good news is there’s been a huge increase in food banks since he’s been in the Tory party.

link

When I read that yesterday, I had two main thoughts. Firstly, its a lot of his own doing getting divorced (and remarried.) Secondly and most importantly, he quit the cabinet to get more lucrative consultancy work. He see's nothing wrong with that, it's what MPs do. I think most of the population are really pissed off with his ilk

It's so tone deaf to be coming out with this, he's trying to gain sympathy and he'll get absolutely none, not from the public and not from his own party. File under dickhead

• Like 3

Sorry, I don’t think he understands the system.

He gets a loan from a tory backer to pay his mortgage off. He rents somewhere 2 miles closer to Westminster. He can rent that other property from himself. then he can claim that rent back as expenses, to offset his mortgage, and claim further expenses for his parents heating bills on the nights he claims to have stayed there.

The man’s a **** amateur.

Point to note, when my local MP was Welsh Secretary he put a flat in Cardiff on his expenses, as the Vale of Glam was too far to reasonably commute to London from. A house in the Vale, and a free flat 11 miles down the road on expenses, for when he didn’t fancy a London hotel on expenses, didn’t fancy a Cardiff hotel on expenses, and didn’t want to stick an 11 mile taxi journey on expenses.

• Like 1

It's even just the phrasing of what he's said.

If he'd said something like 

"Due to the rising cost of living such as my mortgage increasing, alongside my other financial outgoings, I'm stepping down to pursue a higher salary job so that I can maintain my commitments"

Then it would sound at least remotely normal.

But the way he's said it is so obnoxious. Oh I couldn't possibly pay my mortgage on this pittance of a salary like a normal peasant

• Like 3

So the Tories introduced new Industrial Action laws about maintaining 40% service levels primarily aimed to help the train operating companies...

A new bunch of rail strikes have been announced and the TOCs have all declined to use the new legislation (for fear of making staff relations even worse) :D 

The government are disappointed

1 minute ago, bickster said:

So the Tories introduced new Industrial Action laws about maintaining 40% service levels primarily aimed to help the train operating companies...

A new bunch of rail strikes have been announced and the TOCs have all declined to use the new legislation (for fear of making staff relations even worse) :D 

The government are disappointed

One told the union they were gonna do it, so the union held a vote for 5 more strike days and got the support, so the TOC realised they’d been outgunned and withdrew the plan.

Its just a typical dumbass Tory brain dead idea.

• Like 3

Tories haven’t quite grasped the concept of free people withdrawing their Labour in pursuance of a decent pay and conditions agreement. They prefer a system that compels those free people to do as they’re told. Industrial slavery.

• Like 3

Ministers must urgently inject £4bn into English town hall budgets to head off an “out of control” financial crisis that threatens to drag well-run councils into bankruptcy and put local services at risk, a cross-party group of MPs has warned.

The levelling up, housing and communities committee said government must act now to help councils stricken by shrinking resources and the costs of rising demand for adult social care, child protection, homelessness and special educational needs provision.

It said the current local government funding system was broken and that the next UK government must conduct an urgent review of what councils do and how local services are paid for, including an overhaul of “outdated and regressive” council tax.

The committee’s inquiry report follows growing evidence of “financial distress” in local authorities. Eight English councils have declared themselves in effect bankrupt since 2018, including four in the past 12 months, while many more have signalled drastic spending cuts as they attempt to avoid potential insolvency.

A recent Guardian investigation has revealed how English councils are planning to increase council tax bills by £2bn from April, while looking to slash “non-core” services and jobs, and sell off land, buildings and other assets, in an attempt to balance their budgets after more than a decade of cuts.

Grauniad

Whilst they stuffed our cash into their tax shy pockets.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I hate it when I agree with someone like Piers Morgan

Although it’s annoying he didn’t point out the obvious flaws with that argument comparing Albanians being returned home to a couple of hundred people a year going to Rwanda.

Edited by Genie

Why is the PM going on TalkTV instead of a channel that is actually watched? Its also giving legitimacy to a person who was unceremoniously booted off daytime TV because he couldn't hack being challenged, found by the Court to be a liar and is generally, to put it nicely, a generally horrible human being.

Next interview, Lee Anderson on GB News... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Why is the PM going on TalkTV instead of a channel that is actually watched? Its also giving legitimacy to a person who was unceremoniously booted off daytime TV because he couldn't hack being challenged, found by the Court to be a liar and is generally, to put it nicely, a generally horrible human being.

Next interview, Lee Anderson on GB News... 

I'm not so sure Lee and RIshi are currently on speaking terms and that may also tell you why he's on TalkTV, partly to troll GBNews / Anderson et al and partly because he's more likely to get ripped to shreds on there by his own MPs / Farage. GB News is rapidly becoming Reform UK TV so he'd be giving ammo to the opposition and he's just as likely to get ripped to shreds by BBC / ITV / Ch4. Pussycat interview with Morgan is about the best he can hope for these days

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not so sure Lee and RIshi are currently on speaking terms and that may also tell you why he's on TalkTV, partly to troll GBNews / Anderson et al and partly because he's more likely to get ripped to shreds on there by his own MPs / Farage. GB News is rapidly becoming Reform UK TV so he'd be giving ammo to the opposition and he's just as likely to get ripped to shreds by BBC / ITV / Ch4. Pussycat interview with Morgan is about the best he can hope for these days

And said pussycat interview with Piers Morgan, which as you say is probably the easiest ride he'll get these days outside of those fake "interviews" with client journalists, has ended up with him admitting that he's failed his promises for the NHS and that he's betting with a charity on how much human misery he can cause with his Rwanda plan. Have to imagine what he'd end up saying if he had to do a interview with a proper journalist...

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 2

Rishi is rolling back in fines for Gas Boiler sales.  At this point he might as well start offering tax breaks for coal fires. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Rishi is rolling back in fines for Gas Boiler sales.  At this point he might as well start offering tax breaks for coal fires. 

Oi, stop leaking the Labour manifesto.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

We’ll be world leaders in chimney sweeping

Â