The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

There is no possibility of that happening in this Parliament. I fully expect it'll form part of a Tory election manifesto at some point in the next decade, but it's not a 2024 issue to worry about. 

I also expect that by the time they can manage that, it'll be attractive to a very small minority of the population, which will also be the small minority of the population voting for them

It's interesting that there has even been a recent shift in the over 65 demographic on "The European Question" which will certainly be of some relevance here

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I also expect that by the time they can manage that, it'll be attractive to a very small minority of the population, which will also be the small minority of the population voting for them

It's interesting that there has even been a recent shift in the over 65 demographic on "The European Question" which will certainly be of some relevance here

Yup. Never rule out any UK-voting-public craziness, but if you offered Labour the opportunity to fight the election-after-next with the Tories running on "we need to leave the ECHR" as their main policy they'd absolutely bite your hand off. 

• Like 1

All it will take is a decade long social media campaign demonising the ECHR and lots of planted rabbit holes where people can "do their own research" and they'd probably sweep to victory in a landslide.  if there are enough people to vote by then because we've all been wiped out due to the cessation of vaccinations.

• Like 1

The Labour Party would need a record swing in votes at the next general election to win a majority in the House of Commons, according to analysis of the new electoral map.

The next election will be fought on new constituency boundaries, redrawn to reflect population changes and to try to even out voter numbers in each area.

An analysis of these changes for BBC News, ITV News, Sky News and the Press Association suggests Labour needs a national swing of 12.7% to win with just a small majority.

That's considerably higher than the 10.2% achieved by Tony Blair in 1997 and higher even than the 12% achieved by Clement Attlee in 1945.

BBC

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Sensationalism, they needed a record swing even on the old boundaries. I read that yesterday and thought it was just some gibbon filling space on the BBC. The 0.7% swing difference between the old and new boundaries isn't going to make much difference. The swing will be a long way past 13% a long way

Sunak again attacking Starmer for defending jihadists and criminals.

Do they fundamentally not understand what the purpose of a lawyer is?

40 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sunak again attacking Starmer for defending jihadists and criminals.

**** me

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

**** me

I scanned the comments and every single one is criticising the Tories on their own feed. 

How can they be this bad at all things to do with politics?

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

**** me

I wonder what percentage of the UK population would get the Better Call Saul reference.

I think if you're over 35 it's going to be pretty low.

Does include the "T" word though so it's definitely going to appeal to the crowd that would say "honestly, I'm definitely not racist, but..."

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

They're not thick enough to not understand the barrister cab rank system, they just know that millions of voters are.

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They're not thick enough to not understand the barrister cab rank system, they just know that millions of voters are.

People who support the Tories are not even brave enough to support them on Twitter 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

They're STILL banging on about their plan to reduce inflation.  Will no one challenge any of the **** wits about what their "plan" is? 

Should have kept it secret

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m never normally happy reading stuff about the tories. However this sentence I really am not at all pleased with :D

I would say 35-50 is the age range that BCS would appeal to most. Whether those who vote Tory also like BCS is another matter. 

To my mind, they’ve taken a critically acclaimed show, with a catchy title which literally instructs you needing the service of an individual and put Starmer in place of the show’s protagonist. The character who, while flawed I believe people like (I’m referring to Saul, not Starmer).

It’s not dissimilar to that time Labour (?) put Cameron’s head on that detective from Life on Mars. Let’s associate our enemy with something good and/or popular. That’ll show ‘em.

I respect your opinion, but I fundametally disagree, you old ****! 😉

BCS is a fantastic show though. If Starmer had half the presentation of Saul the Tories would be more screwed than they already are!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

I wonder what percentage of the UK population would get the Better Call Saul reference.

I think if you're over 35 it's going to be pretty low.

Cheeky sod. I got it. 

• Like 1

Cruella keeps saying that a foreign court stopped the will of the British people in 2022. 
Where has she got the idea that the Rwanda policy is the will of the people?

We are here to fix a problem, says former Home Secretary Suella Braverman, to "stop the boats."

"This is our last chance to get it right."

Braverman says an amendment is here to remedy “a fatal flaw”.

She says she wants to prevent what took place in June 2022 from happening again - when the Home Office had a plane full of what she calls "illegal migrants" ready to go to Rwanda, but at the 11th hour a "still unidentified" judge in a “foreign court” stopped it from taking off.

The foreign court overrode the will of the British people to control our borders and that is the problem we are trying to fix.”

It was because of these Rule 39 interim injunctions, she says, "these orders are not contained in the ECHR, they're a creation of the Strasburg court and judges."

"It's the court that has become interventionist."

link

Also today

The people of Scotland don’t want this bill, says Joanna Cherry, the SNP member for Edinburgh South West.

bbc

Edited by Genie

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s not dissimilar to that time Labour (?) put Cameron’s head on that detective from Life on Mars. Let’s associate our enemy with something good and/or popular. That’ll show ‘em.

I remember this one. The tag line was 'Don't let him take Britain back to the 80s' or something. I was like 'Oh man that sounds good!' Time travel! 80s! Please.

Then I learnt about the Tories.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

They're STILL banging on about their plan to reduce inflation.  Will no one challenge any of the **** wits about what their "plan" is? 

Inflation is driven up by the increase in cigarette duty last month :lol: 

So now the Rwandan President is floating the idea that they could give our money back.

We’ve got to the point where Rwanda is worried that association with this could damage their reputation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â