The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Just now, Genie said:

The bank chief should be grateful the government halved inflation. I would not be surprised if that was written in the piece somewhere. 

Even the bank chief didn't halve inflation. The price of fuel went down

• Like 1

In fairness to Lord Elgin, when he took the marbles, Greece was part of the Ottoman Empire. Turkish soldiers had been using the Parthenon for target practice for their cannons. It could be argued he helped save them, from people who didn’t care for them. However, times change, Greece is now a free country, they’d like an important part of their heritage back. What a wonderful gesture it would be for this country to enable that.We should do, what is so obviously right, and return them to their rightful home.

• Like 3

Its not just the Parthenon Frieze though, although that is my most major bug bear, its everything that we have stolen and keep, the **** Rosetta Stone for gods sake. Over 6,000 examples of human remains, and THIS is OK???? The British museum pisses me off so much, enabled by whomever is in power.

• Like 1

Apropos of nothing, when we went to the British museum my wife was expecting really big versions of this kind of marble and was quite disappointed when it just turned out to be a load of pictures carved onto stones. 

KAN0055E_Bag_of_Glass_Marbles_C_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

It's just bizzare. It's been the position of every Greek government for about 200 years, it can hardly have come as a big surprise. 

What next, a hissy-fit with Spain because they'd still quite like Gibraltar back?

Its unbelievable 

Sunak is making us hated without the world. To cancel the meeting is childish and pathetic. Starmer met with him im sure that greece will hope they win the election come 2024.

We have a absolute idiot as PM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Apropos of nothing, when we went to the British museum my wife was expecting really big versions of this kind of marble and was quite disappointed when it just turned out to be a load of pictures carved onto stones. 

KAN0055E_Bag_of_Glass_Marbles_C_1.jpg

My wife was expecting the same thing

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sunak is making us hated without the world. To cancel the meeting is childish and pathetic. Starmer met with him im sure that greece will hope they win the election come 2024.

I see the Mail/Express headlines now: "Traitor Starmer will give away our museum treasures". 

The thing is that they won't give them back to the rightful owners, yet if China or Saudi came in with a bid they could funnel into their back pockets, then the Elgin Marbles would be gone in a heartbeat, much like our public services.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I see the Mail/Express headlines now: "Traitor Starmer will give away our museum treasures". 

100% blame the greeks for being abit angry for something thats theirs 

55 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

The thing is that they won't give them back to the rightful owners, yet if China or Saudi came in with a bid they could funnel into their back pockets, then the Elgin Marbles would be gone in a heartbeat, much like our public services.

100 million percent  👏

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder how many of the people angry that we'd consider giving the marbles back have any intention of ever going to see them in either location.

Its not about the marbles only its about the pathetic actions and disrespect of sunak towards the greece PM

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not so sure for now and I think the tide may have turned (although that may well be the headline in a few years time) . The express article on this issue: -  

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1839768/elgin-marbles-rishi-sunak-greece

'Annoyed' Greek PM accuses Rishi Sunak of running scared in escalating Elgin Marbles row

Greece’s Prime Minister has accused UK counterpart Rishi Sunak of running scared after the cancellation of a meeting aimed at discussing the future of the Elgin Marbles in a significant escalation of the row.

Kyriakos Mitsotakis had been hoping to meet the British Prime Minister today during his trip to London - and a source on the Greek side said he and his team had been left "baffled, surprised and not a little bit annoyed" at an apparent sudden cancellation, particularly when preventing migrant sea crossings - one of Mr Sunak's top five priorities - was high on the agenda

I love their spiral to a smaller and smaller demographic.

Now they appear to be relying on the imperialist North Macedonians kleptomaniacs looking for a strong man the size of a paperboy demographic to get them over the line.

I mean, it might work.

Yougov poll again confirming that the government are out of touch.

What do you think should happen to the Parthenon Sculptures? 🤔

They should be returned to Greece permanently
Interesting! Here’s what others said…👇
  • They should be returned to Greece permanently

76%
  • They should return to Greece on a loan, eventually returning to the UK

6%
  • They should remain in the UK

14%
  • Other

2%
  • Not sure