The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Liz Truss: "Once they enter the workplace, the British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music". 

She wants us to be more like India? What proportion of Indian kids actually become doctors and businessmen, compared to those who live in abject poverty and squalor? 

Yes, that's what she wants, alright. 

Truss is obviously politically tone deaf.

She's obviously never read Carnegie's How To Win Friends and Influence people.

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

China measures poverty as anyone living on less than $2.30 a day.

UK poverty level (2020) is £141 per week, which is $24 a day.

But obviously, the British person is worse off than a Chinese peasant because their expectations are higher.

Therefore, if you lower expectations and increase equality, then people are less distressed by having less.

Own nothing and be happy.

If I didn't see such riches,  I could live with being poor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I find it quite refreshing that someone who claims to be left wing realises that the ultimate goal is to enslave the population 

There was a slogan in Russia: man must exist for the sake of the state.

Didn't Kennedy paraphrase it in his, "ask not what your country can do for you..." speech?

On 08/08/2022 at 02:48, mjmooney said:

Not this bollocks again. Universities are for education in its widest sense, including subjects like history, philosophy, literature, etc., not just industrial and financial management training. 

To be fair I don't think he was talking about degrees (in any subject) from reputable universities, more like crappy degrees like Degree in Financial Management from the University of Bedfordshire or something like that...

9 hours ago, legov said:

To be fair I don't think he was talking about degrees (in any subject) from reputable universities, more like crappy degrees like Degree in Financial Management from the University of Bedfordshire or something like that...

I know plenty of people with "crappy degrees" earning extremely good money. Any talk of cutting them back is just gatekeeping certain jobs as many employers require a degree to get in the door for an interview.

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I know plenty of people with "crappy degrees" earning extremely good money. Any talk of cutting them back is just gatekeeping certain jobs as many employers require a degree to get in the door for an interview.

Surely they would have to relax that requirement if there were no longer enough candidates with degrees to fill all required positions?

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Surely they would have to relax that requirement if there were no longer enough candidates with degrees to fill all required positions?

But there'd already be plenty of people meeting the requirement, so you'd be making the younger generations poorer

See the plan?

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

But there'd already be plenty of people meeting the requirement, so you'd be making the younger generations poorer

See the plan?

Well it’s not going to happen, it’s just red meat for the type of person who would make up the Tory voting members so we’re just chatting hypothetically but presumably there would be a period of adjustment and it would settle into a new normal where companies could no longer have the luxury of expecting a candidate to have a degree. 

2 hours ago, phily85 said:

You have lost me there

I had trouble sleeping and in hindsight I think you meant that the Tories don't tell the truth! I initially read it as you saying people posting about the Tories in negative ways were making things up. I'm sure a lot of people out there would still make that kind of comment, which I thought was bleak. But yeah I think I misunderstood 🙃

• Like 1

On 12/08/2022 at 16:04, MakemineVanilla said:

China measures poverty as anyone living on less than $2.30 a day.

UK poverty level (2020) is £141 per week, which is $24 a day.

But obviously, the British person is worse off than a Chinese peasant because their expectations are higher.

It's not just about the expectation of linen shirts but the cost of them in each country.

Â